PDA

View Full Version : Weekend's doins

Jim Hager
03-10-2006, 1:04 PM
Well looks like Karl forgot again with all he has on his plate. I will again start the weekend doins thread.

I plan to finish assembly on a set of raised panel knotty pine doors for a local customer. He is a former student of mine and is now (24) building his first new house.

There is an estate auction going on across the road from me tomorrow so I may not get as much done as I had hoped for.:D I love auctions.

I also will continue to work on the set of kitchen cabients that I hung in the house last weekend.

What the heck of the rest of you guys gonna be doin this weekend.

Sparky Paessler
03-10-2006, 1:17 PM
As I have the last couple of weekends and most nights I will continue working on my friends basement. We are finishing out about 800sf and also reinforceing the floor above it. He had 9' ceilings with ductwork down one side so I framed up tray ceilings in two of the rooms. Framing is almost done then it will be on to plumbing and wiring.

Steve Clardy
03-10-2006, 1:18 PM
Working. Crunch time again.
Supposed to deliver and install this set of cabinets in the shop monday. Originally I was not to install them. Now the contractor changed his mind. Hes short on help. Still working on the lam backsplashes, trim. Need to do the doors, which I haven't started.

Michael Gabbay
03-10-2006, 1:20 PM
It's finally warm enough to spray the drawer fronts and doors for the vanity I'm working on. Maybe I can even get the drawer fronts installed.

Oh and there is all of the DC calculations I'll be going through! :p

David Duke
03-10-2006, 1:29 PM
This is gonna be one of those rare weekends that I really have nothing planned. My DIL is expecting any day now and this is one of those rare instances that I hope to be at the hospital for awhile :D :D :D .

If she doesn't go into labor tomorrow I will probably be spending time at the grand opening of our new skating rink, our school district of which I am a trustee purchased the building for next to nothing and after much discussion as to what to do with the building (warehouse, AEP facility, or resale), we decided to try and operate it as a skating rink, primarily because the kids in our area have so few options for entertainment without driving 15-20 miles. My wife has been in charge of getting this thing operational again and if I were to miss the opening I may be in trouble :eek: :eek: !!

Sunday I hope to go visit with my mom and do a few things for her.

Greg Koch
03-10-2006, 1:30 PM
I'm going to re-install and adjust the newly sharpened blades in my jointer, test run my table saw with the new blade (and for the first time since I got it from my Dad). adjust the little band saw and make a table for my drill press.

I also need to make a base for a security light unit for the front of the house. Then there's always more cleaning of the "shop"....

Just hope the weather holds. It's finally sunny, but a bit cold.

Greg

JayStPeter
03-10-2006, 5:45 PM
It figures that I did my spraying on some seriously cold weekends and the very next weekend is going to be real nice. I'm going to clean up the shop and take down the spray booth. I also hope to have a little time to post a thread about my last project.

Jay

Larry Fox
03-10-2006, 5:50 PM
Awesome weekend planned. Attending finishing class at Alan Turner's Philadelphia Furniture Workshop being taught by Jeff Jewitt. Been looking forward to this since the day I registered. Hoping to pick up some great finishing info and meet some people from this board.

T.J. Mahaffey
03-10-2006, 6:01 PM
Work continues on my shop cabinets.
I hope my weekend schedule fleshes out as planned:

Tonight. Finish galoot-made tool project and get it ready to ship out to fellow galoot as a gift. Begin cutting drawer parts for shop cabinets.

Saturday, early. Attend nearby open consignment equipment auction. Hopefully score some old tools on the cheap.

Saturday, lunch time. Attend computer user group meeting. (I'm the president of the club and I sort of have to go, even though I'd rather be in the shop! ;-) )

Saturday afternoon. Finish cutting drawer parts for shop cabinets.

Saturday evening. Attend general weekly auction.

Sunday. Hopefully, I can begin routing rabbets and dados for drawers so i can assemble during the week.

Matt Meiser
03-10-2006, 6:05 PM
I'm starting on a set of oak night stands. Hope to make major progress on them. I had a client meeting today and came home early rather than go back to the office, so I already got a start cutting all the pieces to rough dimension, planing all the pieces that will be glued-up panels, and getting the first 4 panels glued up. Later tonight I hope to glue up the other 4 so that I can start machining all the parts tomorrow.

William Bachtel
03-10-2006, 6:20 PM
Will be sawing Walnut logs, Poplar log 3 ft in dia, and numerous Maple logs, also will be finishing a pair of Nite stands make out of Curly Sassafras, very heavy figure, two drawers, open bottom. Driving daughter back to school, her spring break is over. Enjoy life it is going to be over before you all know it.

Andy Hoyt
03-10-2006, 7:05 PM
Once again, I'll be working on this thing (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32725) all weekend. Ugh.

John Miliunas
03-10-2006, 7:20 PM
Well, if I weren't so derned busy, I'd take a ride out to the Dells and kick Karl in the butt!!! :eek: (Actually, that'd just be an excuse to see his new "toy" and check on "shop" building progress! :D ) Well, for the first time since I started Job #2, I had the night "off" so, I took full advantage of that and scheduled a vacation day for my day job! :) Got a final coat of finish slopped on a little display I'm making, did a couple "other" chores and then got serious about jointing, planing and cutting some BE Maple and Cherry for another LOML project. Tomorrow, it's off to Woodcraft for a hand-cut dovetail class. I'm really looking forward to that one! Sunday, I'll probably start making up a template or two for afore mentioned project. If I'm lucky and have some egerny left, I might rough out another bowl. Hope you all have a great weekend!!! :) :cool:

Vaughn McMillan
03-10-2006, 7:34 PM
Kind of a continuation of last weekend...working on the interior of a pool cue case and trying to finish up a little bandsaw box for LOML's upcoming b-day. I also need to get moving on a paper towel holder that was ordered over a month ago, now that I finally got the various router bits and pieces gathered up for it. Time permitting, I have a couple small cutting boards that have been ordered that I'd like to get cut and glued this weekend.

Aside from the usual litany of house chores, I'll also be spending some time with LOML planning and running errands for an event she'll be involved in this May. More details on the event as it unfolds.

- Vaughn

Mike Cutler
03-10-2006, 8:35 PM
Well. This weekend is supposed to be really nice, so I plan to restart where I left off in the fall on the door frame and surround for my library door project. All the parts are cut, shaped and fitted. I just need to do some final detail work and start appying finishes.
Time permitting, I'd like to start spring cleaning on the machines that have been under cover.
I am sooo tired of the cold and the wind.

Larry Norton
03-10-2006, 8:53 PM
In between working at my P.T. job at Tractor Supply, I'll be working on 2 shelves for an upcoming show in Chantilly, Va. I've been building these for years, I've probably built 150 of them. The hardest part of the whole thing is the beadboard. When I was using pine instead of oak, I could get it from Lowes. I couldn't find oak anywhere, so, using my old Craftsman molding head, I made it myself. The painted parts are poplar and curly MDF.

Pete Grass
03-10-2006, 9:13 PM
I am sooo tired of the cold and the wind.
Mike - I was in Harford for a business meeting this week and a little surprised to see snow! Glad to get back here to KY and a 60+ degree day today. Promises to be a great weekend to spend time in the shop and making progress on my master BR closet - just about down to the finish steps. Pics? Here is an interim shot.

Pete

Jim Becker
03-10-2006, 10:01 PM
With any luck, I'll be able to slide by Alan Turner's open house tomorrow if Dr. SWMBO is in a good mood...she had the girls all by herself all week as I had business in Westminster CO all week and just got home. Maybe some shop time, too...but not on the table as I have not been able to source a curly maple billet for the spindle so far.

Dennis Peacock
03-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Good Evening everyone,

Well....I'm ONCALL this weekend....so we ALL know what I'll be doing this weekend. Got 83 hours in at work so far this week. Maybe, just maybe I won't break 100 hours this week. Naaaahhhhhhh....I'm already guaranteed at least another 24 hours of hard at it work.

Sure will be glad when Monday morning gets here. :D

Steve Ash
03-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Sanding doors for kitchen cabinets, then staining. Euchre tournament Sat. night.....then spraying some finish on those same doors Sunday afternoon.

George Sanders
03-11-2006, 6:07 AM
I'm going to an auction and flea market. I'm hoping to find some socket chisels. The mild weather is giving me a bad case of spring fever, so Sunday I will do some outside projects I've been putting off for a warm day.

Chris Barton
03-11-2006, 6:24 AM
Once again, I'll be working on this thing (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32725) all weekend. Ugh.

I am on my way up to help. Should get there in a couple of days if I don't get lost...

Chris Barton
03-11-2006, 6:26 AM
Seriously, I will be working on the Federal period card table and trying to write up the intermediate review of the Laguna X31 and LT16HD...

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-11-2006, 6:48 AM
Well, SWMBO and the kids are going to an Ikebana show (Japanese flower arranging) that I have zero interest in going to, so I'll be down in the Dungeon working on a sharpening station for my lathe tools.

Since getting sucked into the vortex of the spinny side ;) I have figured out that I need sharp tools and a sharpening stand to do this consistanly on.

I found a great website from a guy in the UK that has good design and details on building said sharpening stand (don't know if I'll be in doo doo with the TOS by posting a link so I won't, PM me if you want it)

It will be some work, but I think that in the end, being able to just take momments to to sharpen up a tool, is a great thing.

Cheers!

PS, I might just break out the paint and paint my lathe stand (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32347)...... :D

Andy Hoyt
03-11-2006, 6:51 AM
Post it, Stu.

John Miliunas
03-11-2006, 8:07 AM
I found a great website from a guy in the UK that has good design and details on building said sharpening stand (don't know if I'll be in doo doo with the TOS by posting a link so I won't, PM me if you want it)

Stu, as long as it's not your own commercial interest and pertinent to the subject at hand, go right ahead and post, sir! :) I'm sure it would be of interest to many. :) :cool:

Matt King
03-11-2006, 8:32 AM
Just finished up last weekend's bearing replacement job on the table saw - wow, what a difference! :)

Going to finish breaking down an old piano that was given to me. Looks like there's a few BF of nice mahogany to be salvaged, as well as some 3x4 fir(??) chunks, between 1 foot and 4 feet long, so it's probably worth the effort, or at least that's what I keep telling myself!

Looks like there's plenty of shop cleanup ahead after that. Maybe there'll be time for some actual project work in the next week or two.....

Matt

Tyler Howell
03-11-2006, 8:48 AM
Home remuttling, Creeker visit and going to play some music this weekend.
Oldest is in town for spring break so we have got some family time tomorrow.;)

Dan Racette
03-16-2006, 12:55 PM
One of the most exciting things is on tap for me this weekend!

Picking up a new piece of equipment and visiting another Creeker!!!

Oh, and my love of my life will be on my case to help her with remodelling the living room, I think she secretly likes me barking out orders too her! How can she make me do remodelling with a new tool "in da house!"

Pics will be posted.

Trying to sell a couple of machines as well!

Don Baer
03-16-2006, 1:04 PM
One of the most exciting things is on tap for me this weekend!

Picking up a new piece of equipment and visiting another Creeker!!!

Pics will be posted.

Trying to sell a couple of machines as well!

Dan did you buy that minmax machine. If so say hi to Bob for me he's my cousin and I haven''t seen him in over 30 years.

John D Watson
03-16-2006, 1:14 PM
I'm cleaning the shed. It should take me well into next week. I'd really like to see how that thing is goin.

John Hebert
03-16-2006, 5:27 PM
on that last dormer, so I can finally get started layin shingles.............oh boy, jump for joy:rolleyes: