PDA

View Full Version : 15" planer blade questions?

Josh Goldsmith
03-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Hello everyone! I need my 15" planer blades sharpened and every sharpening shop is booked for up to 4 weeks! I couldn't believe that! Anyways so what i am thinking is to have them sharpened they charge .65 per inch and my 8" blades that i just had shapened was $15-16 so i am figuring about $30 to sharpen the planer blades. I have seen delta and a few other brands 15" steel planer blades for $30 give or take a little. Is there a difference between blades, i know between carbide and steel but i am more curious about all steel blades. I have an older Jet planer so what other brands will fit? My grizzly jointer has the same style of blades but not sure if they will work. Thanks

Josh

Tom Jones III
03-10-2006, 11:56 AM
http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/planer_knives.html sells knives by their measurements and it worked fine for me. I ended up by 2 extra sets so that I have a total of 3 sets. Check out my recent thread on the Makita Sharpener. I was really annoyed that it cost as much or more to sharpen blades than to buy new ones so I sharpen them myself, also no wait and no mailing/pickup hassle.

Ron Blaise
03-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Hello everyone! I need my 15" planer blades sharpened and every sharpening shop is booked for up to 4 weeks! I couldn't believe that! Anyways so what i am thinking is to have them sharpened they charge .65 per inch and my 8" blades that i just had shapened was $15-16 so i am figuring about $30 to sharpen the planer blades. I have seen delta and a few other brands 15" steel planer blades for $30 give or take a little. Is there a difference between blades, i know between carbide and steel but i am more curious about all steel blades. I have an older Jet planer so what other brands will fit? My grizzly jointer has the same style of blades but not sure if they will work. Thanks

Josh

You could invest in a diamond stone and build a simple wood block nest to hold the blades as you hone them. I have some photos of the jig at home that I could post this evening. Just takes a little patience and elbow grease.

Mike Cutler
03-10-2006, 12:22 PM
You could invest in a diamond stone and build a simple wood block nest to hold the blades as you hone them. I have some photos of the jig at home that I could post this evening. Just takes a little patience and elbow grease.

Josh. I would invest in a 2nd set, no matter what. There is nothing exotic about the Jet blade. I'm sure that any number of planers have exactly the same blade.

Ron. I'd be interested in seeing your setup. I mean to spend the early spring doing a lite overhaul on my planer.

Josh Goldsmith
03-10-2006, 8:24 PM
I would like some pics of that setup also! I think i might get a second set! Thanks Josh

Ron Blaise
03-11-2006, 8:22 AM
I will try to dig up the pic's I got on that knife holding jig and post them, I promise! I am working today & tomorrow so it may be Monday before I can.
Ron