PDA

View Full Version : 10" Saw Blade vs 7-1/4"

scott spencer
03-10-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm beginning to understand some of the science of modern saw blade technology, but I do have a question that I'm not sure about that maybe some of you blade experts or engineers can explain.

My question pertains to the differences in performance between a 7-1/4" blade and a 10" blade. I know the distance between the teeth is different, the cutting height capacity is different, and that the blade speed is different. I know the radius of the smaller blade is tighter and presents a different attack angle for the teeth, but have no idea what impact that may have. Assuming as many identical variables as possible, how differently does a comparable 10" blade perform from a 7-1/4" when mounted on the same saw cutting a similar piece of wood?

Ron Blaise
03-10-2006, 1:25 PM
I'm beginning to understand some of the science of modern saw blade technology, but I do have a question that I'm not sure about that maybe some of you blade experts or engineers can explain.

My question pertains to the differences in performance between a 7-1/4" blade and a 10" blade. I know the distance between the teeth is different, the cutting height capacity is different, and that the blade speed is different. I know the radius of the smaller blade is tighter and presents a different attack angle for the teeth, but have no idea what impact that may have. Assuming as many identical variables as possible, how differently does a comparable 10" blade perform from a 7-1/4" when mounted on the same saw cutting a similar piece of wood?

You already know two of the major differences, capacity and speed. Another is the thinner kerf of the 7-1/4" blade, that usually requires less HP to cut a board than a 10" does, even though the blade spins slower. I know of wood workers that use the smaller, cheaper blades to saw suspect lumber (nails, brads and staples) that might damage their more expensive, 10" blades. In fact there was an article in American Woodworker about that very thing in the last issue. I personally have never tried 7-1/4's on my 10" table saw but the next time I have some used wood to saw that's exactly what I intend to do. If you hit a nail with one, your not out more than a few bucks. Heck, they are throw- aways anyway as it would cost more to resharpen than the blades worth. There is no real advantage to using smaller blades on a 10" Table saw than what I just described. 10" blades are More ridged, cut smoother, and store more energy and of course have greater capacity than the slower spinning 7-1/4's. Just my 2 cents worth.
Ron