PDA

View Full Version : Well I did it now

Noah Alkinburgh
08-07-2003, 10:49 AM
It took longer than many but my immunity to spinny things has collapsed. I just got off the phone with General Industrial and they will be shipping me my Jet Mini sometime next week.

Oh woe is me...I am in trouble now.

Noah

Richard Allen
08-07-2003, 11:27 AM
Hey Noah

At least you will know where your next paycheck is going (and the one after that and the one after that....)

Don Farr
08-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Check out the post "turning tool storage". Your going to need at less one each of all those and they ain't cheap. I've had my lathe for a couple of months and I'm still trying round up enough tools to do something with it. Have fun with it.

Bill Roland
08-07-2003, 12:18 PM
Thanks for contributing to the local economy. Have fun with your new spinny thing.

Daniel Rabinovitz
08-07-2003, 12:48 PM
I noticed that JET came out with a new variable speed lathe. Is that the one you're getting?

Dan Bussiere
08-07-2003, 12:55 PM
Noah,
I watched you as your were observing Ken doing his demonstation at the 5 Barns. The look on your face revealed a lathe in your future! Good for you! I hope someday you can give us a demonstration at a 5 Barns!
Dan

Tom Sweeney
08-07-2003, 1:53 PM
Noah,
I knew that there was no hope for you to not slip to the dark side :D

Have fun with your new toy er I mean tool. You'll never get your patio done now! :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
08-07-2003, 2:50 PM
It took longer than many but my immunity to spinny things has collapsed...oh wow is me...I am in trouble now.

Yup. We told you so. Welcome to our addiction! :D

Here is the contact information for two AAW (http://www.woodturner.org) chapters in your area. You should try to attend the meetings and demonstrations. Not only will they be inspirational, you'll also find a bunch of folks near you who can help mentor your progress if you feel the need. The AAW magazine is also outstanding and worth the price of membership alone...

South Central Pennsylvania Turners
Serving: South Central PA
Meeting Date: 1st Tuesday
Jerry Kopenhaver
50 Warrington Ways
Wellsville, PA 17365
717-432-2753
kopenhaver@pa.net

Susquehanna Woodturners
Serving: Harrisburg area of Southeastern PA
Meeting Date: 2nd Tuesday
William R Hackett
100 White Pine Dr
Hershey, PA 17033
717-520-0393
wrhackett@comcast.net

Keith Outten
08-07-2003, 4:21 PM
Congratulations Noah,

I'll look forward to you posting pictures of your new "Round" projects here at the Creek. :)

David Rose
08-07-2003, 6:02 PM
Tom, I thought the Dark Side was over "there" where they work in the daylight or use candles and none of their tools have tails with prongs.

I know that the Round Side must be evil. :cool: 'Cause us "good" guys make round trees into flat things. Then along come these "turner" guys and turn them back round again. Surely it can't be us flat guys who are evil... taking trees God made round and making them flat... Nope! Who could build a dresser out of dowels? :D It's obvious God wanted us to have dressers after he equipped Adam and Eve with fig leaves.

Here's what Noah should have done. Go demo something while Ken is turning. That's what I try to do. Besides, it takes the pressure off cause everyone is watching Ken instead of your demo! It would have helped if he hadn't turned round things all day though.

David

Noah,
I knew that there was no hope for you to not slip to the dark side :D

Have fun with your new toy er I mean tool. You'll never get your patio done now! :rolleyes:

Terry Hatfield
08-07-2003, 6:18 PM
Noah,

Oh...no....

Same thing happened to me last year after the bbq here. A new lathe was on the way in less than a week. Life will never be the same. :D

Terry

Walt Drummond
08-07-2003, 10:10 PM
Hee, Hee, Hee, Hee....... :D :D

Jim McFall
08-07-2003, 10:25 PM
Noah,
Congrats, I wonder who will be NEXT ???
Have fun , be careful, I heard those things can be dangerous in more ways than one.

Dennis Peacock
08-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Noah,

Just remember.......

<B>the lathe is just the <i>beginning!!!!!</i></B>

Now comes things like:

Turning tools and lots of them
Jigs for various turning aspects
Face plates of various sizes
Lathe chucks
Sanding mechanisims of all types for sanding those "spinny things"
A nice light over the lathe to see better with
Various gizmo's for sharpening all those funky turning tool shapes
Bench Grinder or Tormek for the "rest" of those turning tool edges
LOTS of firewood and felled trees to learn on (use soft wood to learn on as I learned the hard way with dry Red Oak.....)

Seems like...every time you turn around, you need something "else" for the "lathe"....pen making supplies, fancy wood blanks for making pens and stuff.......

Best of all? <b>Have a BLAST!!!!! and Welcome to the world of ROUND!!!!!</b>

Noah Alkinburgh
08-08-2003, 11:33 AM
Well, many of you have confirmed my worst fears :D

Daniel: I did not get the new digital VS version....I went for cheap :)

Walt: I am glad you are so amused :)

Tom: So when are "we" going to get all that free maple :D

Jim: Thanks for the great info...that one in Hershey is pretty close I might check it out.

Terry: Nice to know someone can feel my pain...I managed to hold out till the second picinic and finally secumbed...I think when Bill G puts that Darth Vader helmet on he really can influence you :)

One nice thing is I am close enough to Mr. 5 Barns that if I really take to this I can go spend some time with him....oh great there goes my paychecks and my vacation time

Noah