PDA

View Full Version : Rant Warning: Long: CarveWright made it

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
03-10-2006, 8:18 AM
By looking at the tracking number, I saw the machine was in Richmond last Wednesday. After waiting on FedEx for a week, I finally called the terminal and asked them to hold it and I would drive there to pick it up. When asked why it never showed up last week, the dispatcher said "the regular driver is out and the new driver couldn't find the address. The next two days he had to drive a shorter truck, so it was left off. There's no home delivery on Monday. The box was in QA on Tuesday and Wednesday, when you called that you'd come get it on Thursday". The damage to the box was terrible and the "fragile. this side up" tag obviously meant nothing to them. One guy said "It has a keypad on it. I saw that as I was taping it up. It's been handled a few times and the box tore".
Thank goodness it looks like everything was still there. The software CD was loose in the box, out of it's sleeve, but loaded ok. The allen wrench for the bit adaptor was loose in the bottom of the box under the foam packing. One thing I was disappointed in from CarveWright is that I had ordered the complete set of bits , but they didn't inform me they were backordered. I got to see that on my invoice. I'll throw in a couple of picts, just to give you an idea. But now that it's here. we're off to do the learning curve thing. I'll keep you posted.

Bruce Page
03-10-2006, 9:40 AM
Wow Ron, that thing took a beating! I'd be tempted to send it back for a replacement. I doubt that the Carvewright was designed for that kind of shock & vibe.

Lee DeRaud
03-10-2006, 10:30 AM
But now that it's here. we're off to do the learning curve thing.Don't you mean "the learning carve thing"? :p

Nice score, but like Bruce said, I wouldn't be shy about requesting a replacement unit if you run into any anomalies with this one. At the very least make sure the possible shipping damage is documented with the Carvewright people as well as Fedex.

Wes Bischel
03-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Ron,
Sorry to see and hear about the problem with shipping. I would agree, at the least contact CarveWright. They need to know now if their packaging is not adequate.
Isn't it amazing what stays in a box? I had a machine delivered that was in pieces - and that's how the box was delivered as well! Yet every part was there, even down to set screws loose in the box!

Good luck with your new toy!

Wes

nic obie
03-10-2006, 1:53 PM
I also had a problem with the shipping. Carvewright is sending me a new machine.

As of this week they went with a different box that has side supports. They are hoping that will solve the problem.

03-10-2006, 4:05 PM
I did call Eric at CarveWright right away and we discussed the "possible" damage from shipping. He says they've been having a lot of issues with this. He asked me to send him some photos, so I documented every step of taking it out of the box. I ran it through it's paces yesterday and had no problems. Eric says they are working on redesigning their box to take more stress. All of the parts are present and working, as far as I know, well. I'm looking forward to some shop time with it this weekend. CarveWright has been outstanding in their customer service, at least for me. When you call, they take each call seriously and do their best to resolve whatever the issue is.

mike wallis
03-10-2006, 5:13 PM
I had a simular situation with FedEx, the tracking number showed it was in my town for 3 or 4 days but no delevery. When I called to find out what was going on they said the same thing, the regular driver is out so that's why it was delayed. FedEx use to be the most reliable but they seem to have taken a turn in there service, I mean you might want to have a backup driver in case someone gets sick! Shockingly I've found USPS to be more reliable these days at a much cheaper price.

John LeBlanc
03-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Shockingly I've found USPS to be more reliable these days at a much cheaper price.
You know, Mike, I've found the same thing. And their online Click-N-Ship service is incredibly convenient.

Along the same lines, with Paypal's shipping integration with USPS where you can pay for your postage and print out a shipping label from your browser, then have the postman pick up packages at your front door, I don't complain about Paypal's fees anymore, and I don't mess with FedEx or UPS any more unless I absolutely have to -- such as really heavy boxes. Like...the CarveWright. (Hmmm. I think that puts us back to square one. :) )

John

Shari Loveless
03-16-2006, 4:18 PM
Ron,
So how is the little machine working out for you? I still haven't seen anything in the way of completed project pics from anyone. I'm just getting impatient waiting on mine I guess.
Shari

03-18-2006, 7:34 PM
and waiting on the bit set to arrive from CarveWright so I can do some signs. I've only been able to do some things in pine, and wasn't real impressed with the quality of the finished work. I know I still have a lot to learn about how to control it and use hardwoods. I have a class that will keep me away for the next two weeks, but plan on hitting the learning curve hard after that. I'll start posting when I get back after the first of the month.