PDA

View Full Version : Drill press buyers guide

Nick Clayton
03-10-2006, 7:03 AM
What do you folks look for when purchasing a DP? Is a floor model a wise purchase for the occassional ww or is a bench model going to fit most requirements? Thanks for telling me the pros and cons.

Cheers,
Nick

Kyle Kraft
03-10-2006, 7:21 AM
I look for a good repeatable depth stop. The kind with a threaded rod with a couple of jam nuts usually located on the left side of the head. Also a long quill stroke. Get a good aftermarket chuck (Jacobs ball bearing Super Chuck). Look for a rack and pinion system for raising and lowering the table. Quick release belt tension for step pulley models or better yet a variable speed system. A built in work light is handy. And lastly, if you are a casual mortise and tenon joiner, a mortising attachment is nice. I only do a few a year so the changeover is not a big deal. Also, I'd get a DP with the biggest swing you can afford, at least a 16", you won't regret it......Good luck! Be sure to look for some old iron, not just new!!!

Dave Richards
03-10-2006, 8:03 AM
Also, if you can find it, get one that has a quill lock. I have that both my floor standing and my benchtop DPs and use it frequently.