PDA

View Full Version : I got the word

Reg Mitchell
03-10-2006, 3:17 AM
WOW guys I got the word....or shall I say the right amount of feright charge to get the shaper I have been lusting after.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/male_man/fay_egan_552_shaper_1_061.jpg
this has got to be a steardy shaper at 2500 lbs.....I ws sooooooo afraid i wasn't gonna get it because of the high frieght cahrges.....but the shipping woman at work came through for me....gonna have to make sure she gets flowers on her birthday....

Dan Forman
03-10-2006, 4:32 AM
She is surely a substantial shaper! Nice score.

Dan

lou sansone
03-10-2006, 5:50 AM
come on reg.... details details details ... photos won't do
lou

Julio Navarro
03-10-2006, 7:55 AM
Holy moulding Batman!! That is one hefty machine!

Dick Parr
03-10-2006, 8:11 AM
Congrats Reg, make sure you bolt that down so it don't walk away while you are using it.:D ;)

Bill Simmeth
03-10-2006, 8:38 AM
I still can't believe the freight deal she got you. $267. Wow!

I don't think you need to worry about bolting it down -- 'tain't goin' nowheres!

scott spencer
03-10-2006, 8:40 AM
Holy cow! Even if the motor quits, that thing should come in handy for floor imprints! Did Tim Taylor procure that for you?! :D

Reg Mitchell
03-10-2006, 9:15 AM
Ok Its a Fay Egan and had a belt drive. It weighs in at 2500 lbs, or there abouts. This thing is bullet proof.
Like Bill said I was afraid I wasn't gonna get it because the only shipping I could get was in the neighborhood of $1100 but befor I gave up I asked the lady at work who dose our shipping if she could help. I gave her all the information Wed. and she called back yesterday and ask how fast I needed it. My thoughts were ( This doesn't sound good) but befor I could say anything she said" If you want it in 6 days it will cost you $267, my heart leaped, but if you want it in 3 days it will $330" All I could mumble was 6 days will be fine.......I'll have more pics when it gets here for you guys. :)

Steve Clardy
03-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Looks like a monster!!

Reg Mitchell
03-10-2006, 11:58 AM
It is Steve,Bill Simmeth has one and he likes it. I wanted something that will run as long as I want it too and not have to worry about over working it. Like I said earlyer I am going to do woodworking and get out of the "working for someone else" habbit. I decided I would go broke or at least make enough to eat. At least I will smile knowing I don't have to go there anymore. Besides if I can't get along with the boss I will know its my fault...:D

Ron Blaise
03-10-2006, 12:50 PM
WOW guys I got the word....or shall I say the right amount of feright charge to get the shaper I have been lusting after.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/male_man/fay_egan_552_shaper_1_061.jpg
this has got to be a steardy shaper at 2500 lbs.....I ws sooooooo afraid i wasn't gonna get it because of the high frieght cahrges.....but the shipping woman at work came through for me....gonna have to make sure she gets flowers on her birthday....

As we say heah! She's beautiful and meaty, my kind of tool.:)

Lee Schierer
03-10-2006, 1:04 PM
So when do the framing contractors come in to reinforce your shop floor. At 2500 pounds, that shaper weighs more than all the equipment and tools in my shop. Hopefully you'll have lots of help getting it off the truck and into yur shop. It looks like a hernia waiting to happen. :D

Dev Emch
03-10-2006, 1:30 PM
Reg...
I am going to call you Reg-Dog! I know where the next 552 that shows up on the market is going!!!! Been on my list but I always seem to miss out on this one. At any rate, please dont bore holes in the table. If you attach a feeder, then use a feeder bracket. I can help you out here. Why should you not bore any holes? SImple! If you dont like this machine, I am buying it! Consider this a money back guarenttee!:D Glad you managed to snag this beastie as well.

At any rate, did the guy come back with you regarding that spindle system? Is it thread on or taper shank? I am still dying to know this. You will need a starter and I can hook you up with a deal on a brand new, NOS Allan Bradley 509 #1 if you cannot find one. I know a surplus yard in the carolinas that has lots of new surplus inventory from AB.

Once again, congrats on snagging yet another ICONIC woodworking machine! I am running out of entries on my ICONIC woodworking machine list.:D

Regards
Dev

P.S. I have nothing to do with this shaper or the guy who sold it. Just that Reg was first in the food chain on this one.

Reg Mitchell
03-10-2006, 1:43 PM
LOL Lee this baby is going on 6 inches of fiber concrete on top of 10 inches of rock with # 3 rebar in the floor on 12" centers.....It should hold it
Hey Dev.....glad you like it....its a threaded colet :) but I think I can make a tapered one for it. He said the intercahngable part ment I could thread another on top and it has a locking screw to lock it. Its a 1 1/8 spindel and I am gonna press him for a starter to go with it. I will know tonight wheather I can get it or not......
I haven't got the info on the oak yet but I have bee busy trying to get shipping lined up so yours is next on the agenda.....

Tyler Howell
03-10-2006, 5:58 PM
That's a bruiser Reg. Congrats.

Dev Emch
03-10-2006, 11:30 PM
LOL Lee this baby is going on 6 inches of fiber concrete on top of 10 inches of rock with # 3 rebar in the floor on 12" centers.....It should hold it
Hey Dev.....glad you like it....its a threaded colet :) but I think I can make a tapered one for it. He said the intercahngable part ment I could thread another on top and it has a locking screw to lock it. Its a 1 1/8 spindel and I am gonna press him for a starter to go with it. I will know tonight wheather I can get it or not......
I haven't got the info on the oak yet but I have bee busy trying to get shipping lined up so yours is next on the agenda.....

6 inches! HOllY COW your good! You can get away with a metal planer on that floor... I would not worry about it at all!

Reg Mitchell
03-11-2006, 12:21 AM
I don't want the floor breaking and starting to sink with my bandsaw lol....I talked to Dan on the way to work and told him I thought I should get a starter and he agreed and said he would put one on for me.
I took the lady at work that got me the good rate on shipping a 6 lb box of fudge made by the amish ppl in this area. She was estatic and told me to make sure I let her know the minet Dn got the chceek so she could arrange for the pickup. She even gave me a piece fo the fudge......said if she ate it all her butt would get as big as a trash can lol.
I will get you the name and number tomorrow but I won't be home till sunday ....Vicky has got some tickets to some sort of play she wants to see and I thought I better go and be a good boy since she is going to P.A next week with me to get the saw.....thats a long ride with a sulking woman :eek:

Bart Leetch
03-11-2006, 1:34 AM
"this baby is going on 6 inches of fiber concrete on top of 10 inches of rock with # 3 rebar in the floor on 12" centers"

I had an uncle (passed on several years ago) that had a carport with a 6" thick pad at the back that his chest freezer set on while his 1958 Lincoln & big Colony Park wagon set on a 3 1/2" thick concrete. My Dad a builder asked him why 300-400 lbs of freezer & food had to have thicker concrete that a 6 thousand lb car & he got a real funny look on his face. I realize that your whole floor was probably poured at the same time so this is a little different. I thought I'd mention the above funny story more for its entertainment value than anything else.

Reg Mitchell
03-11-2006, 3:18 AM
lol bart.....i see it two ways....the bandsaw is around 3500 lbs it has a foot print of say 2'x3' and once it is set it will NOT move. The shaper is 2500 lbs and 3' sqare foot print and will NOT move. Now that is a lot of weight in one spot that is constantly pressing down. I may not need all that concrete....but I am not willing to cheepen it up just to find out later.....heres the good part,and have to come in her and say....MY FLOOR IS CRACKED WHAT DO I DO.....lolol.
In all honesty. I might be able to get away with a smaller amount but like i said I just don't want to take the chance...

Vaughn McMillan
03-11-2006, 5:24 AM
Reg, based on what I know about concrete, I'm guessing you could stack that bandsaw on top of the shaper, then balance both of them on a 1" square of steel, and still probably not crack the floor. And if it did crack, it would only be hairline cracking, and minor at that. That floor ain't goin' anywhere. :)

- Vaughn

Reg Mitchell
03-11-2006, 11:20 AM
I really won't mind the little cracks thats the nature of it I suppose.....Its the ones that start tobulckel that would turn my stomic.
I am hoping we are right Vaughn....

Steve Clardy
03-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Cracks in concrete is gonna happen. Doesn't matter about the thickness, rebar.
Thats its nature, especially when its a big slab like mine.
You might considering having the concrete guys saw a couple of lines in it somewhere after its set. Talk to them, they know.

Reg Mitchell
03-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Yep Steve we have already talked about the saw cuts in the concrete. Keep it from getting out of hand and stopping it. Thanks

Todd Davidson
03-11-2006, 5:29 PM
Hey Reg~

When I had my basement floor repoured last Summer I went with 6" (to as much as 10" in one area). Although my entire shop probably weighs less than a couple of your machines I wanted the stability and as much protection as I could get from ground water (a huge problem where I am). Had expansion joints cut in. Invariably there are small cracks running throughout. Nature of the beast.

Congratulations on making your dream a reality.

In peace, Todd

Steve Clardy
03-11-2006, 5:36 PM
Yep Steve we have already talked about the saw cuts in the concrete. Keep it from getting out of hand and stopping it. Thanks

Super. Wish I had done that on my 16x64 addition. Was going to cut it where two walls run, but got in a hurry.:o Concrete guys didn't have time to come back and cut it. So I got a couple of small cracks across it. :( Hasn't heaved yet, hopefully it won't.

tod evans
03-12-2006, 11:08 AM
nice score reg!

Dan Connolly
03-12-2006, 11:25 AM
WOW be careful when you select the wheels for the mobile base for that!

BTW there are only two kinds of concrete, that which has cracked and that which is going to crack.

Reg Mitchell
03-12-2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks Tdo. Man I'm getting excited about getting all this stuff together and makeing some dust. I went Sat and was digging out for the conduet for the electric wire from the power company and was takeing a few mesurment to the top of the gravel to see how much room I was accually going to have to the cealing. If I read my Tape right by the time the concrete is poured it will be 9 ft. I was jumping up and down mad. Vick thought I was fighting in the garage. She came running out to see what was wrong.....and all I could say was get me the number to the guy that did the gradeing. Well I called and he didn't return my call. I WILL be calling him in the morning first think. The cealing is suppose to be 10 ft. Not I'm not saying I am real good with a tape mesureing device, but I'think I can get closer than a foot to a mesurment.
There is one good thing about it......I only gave him 1/3 of payment. I will be haveing the floor dug out a foo this week OR I will hire someone to do it and will take it from what is owed. I have been patiently waiting to have this done and will wait no longer.,,,,,,,,:mad:

tod evans
03-12-2006, 11:46 AM
reg, 9` ceilings suck! i have `em ...02 tod

Dev Emch
03-12-2006, 1:35 PM
My storage lease on this pig ran out end of Feb so I had to move MONDO DA MILL on March 3rd. MONDO tips the scales at 20,000 pounds so I think the Navy is looking for one of their carrier anchors. The enclosed photo/URL thingie is Mondo getting loaded up on my Buddy's semi using DA'BEAST! DA'BEAST is the only one like in our region and its a Bristol fork lift that can bench press 80,000 pounds if it has the counter weights. Due to trucking regulations, it is normally configured for 60,000 pounds and anything over that needs a second truck to haul the weights. Load out was easy.

Unloading was not! My other buddy Bob who runs Bob's Towing & Repair used his Kenworth Wrecker to unload this. We had to sling under and then carefully hoist each winch to get it up. Finger nail biting nervous! I almost soiled my underwear when Bob's wife yells out to hubby... HONEY, YOUR WHEELS! Here we have this 20,000 pound mill hanging on the end of a wrecker and were moving slowing forward to unload it from the truck. Minor Problem! Bob's front wheels were almost TWO FEET off the ground! I have never seen a Kenworth Wrecker pop a wheelie! We finally got it off the truck and then boomed in to get the front wheels back on the ground. Only damage was a popped electrical conduit for the coolant pump and some scraped paint from one of the cables.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=33494&d=1141884503

In reading the manual for this thing, two things came up. First, they want this thing bolted down. But I need to clarify why. There are several points where this thing needs to be bolted down along the base. At each of these points, there is a leveling screw next to the concrete anchor screw. Once you have the machine leveled out, then you tighten the anchor bolts so the level does not change. The machine actually does not sit on the concrete persay but sits on about 8 bolt heads which need steel pads layed into the concrete. The actual iron sits about 1/8 to 1/4 inch above the concrete.

They also recommend a foundation about 1 foot thick. That is reasonable for a beastie who weighs 20,000 pounds. But more importantly, they suggest isolating the mounting pad from the rest of the floor. This can be done by using that fiberous material used to isolate slabs for expansion cracks, etc. By isolating the machine from both the rest of the floor and from the wall structure of the building, your not going to feel and hear vibrations in every corner of the building. Right now, my phase converter is sitting on my shop slab. Each time you turn it on, it ressonates throughout the whole building. So here is a 300 pound device that is beginning to annoy me. I think I will either saw a hole and pour an isolated foundation or move it somewhere else.

The point is that some machines should be isolated on slabs. It might be a good idea to pour your shop floor in sections with each section isolated by that fiberous expansion crack material available at home depot or your lumberyard. You may wish to pour 1/3 of the floor and use this for bench and assembly and general woodworking. Then pour the remainder in say three or four sections depending on various machines will be placed. This makes the pour easier to skreed out and it also isolates the major portion of your shop from the machines themselves. It also minimizes how concrete will crack. A singular slab will crack. NOT IF----- WHEN! But by isolating the floor in minor sections, you allow each section to shift a bit as needed and so most cracking, if you will, will follow the isolation divisions. Now if you go this route, you need to do what you can to insure that the various sections are as level as you can possibily make them. Bumps in the floor can make moving machines on rollers extremely unpleasant so you need to make sure your machine rollers can negotiate these isolation dividers.

ANyway, diatribe food for throught....

Reg Mitchell
03-12-2006, 3:44 PM
Well I WILL have 10 ft cealing per the contract or The money I still owe him will be spent digging out the garage and lowering the floor. If I am willing to pay for something I think it is worth it or I wouldn't pay it to begain with. But at the same time I Expect to get what I pay for. SO I will be getting 10 ft cealing one way or the other ......

Dev Emch
03-12-2006, 3:54 PM
Thanks Tdo. Man I'm getting excited about getting all this stuff together and makeing some dust. I went Sat and was digging out for the conduet for the electric wire from the power company and was takeing a few mesurment to the top of the gravel to see how much room I was accually going to have to the cealing. If I read my Tape right by the time the concrete is poured it will be 9 ft. I was jumping up and down mad. Vick thought I was fighting in the garage. She came running out to see what was wrong.....and all I could say was get me the number to the guy that did the gradeing. Well I called and he didn't return my call. I WILL be calling him in the morning first think. The cealing is suppose to be 10 ft. Not I'm not saying I am real good with a tape mesureing device, but I'think I can get closer than a foot to a mesurment.
There is one good thing about it......I only gave him 1/3 of payment. I will be haveing the floor dug out a foo this week OR I will hire someone to do it and will take it from what is owed. I have been patiently waiting to have this done and will wait no longer.,,,,,,,,:mad:

The advantage to 10 foot ceilings is that its harder to break light bulbs.:D But 'splain to me Lucy..... how going down allows you to go up? The last thing you want is a pit one foot into the ground to roll into and out of.

Reg Mitchell
03-12-2006, 4:26 PM
lolol ....nooooooooooo. They will have to come out and push the rock out, dig down a foot, replace the rock which will be 10ft6 inches. . Adding the concrete back will give me 10 ft to the bottom of the roof trusses.
Did you get the info I sent this morning?