PDA

View Full Version : First bowl off the new chuck tonight.

Jeff Horton
03-10-2006, 12:36 AM
Adaptor came in today and I almost cried. I could tell as soon as I pulled it out of the package that it wasn't going to work. Talk about sick to your stomach! To my total surprise the adaptor fit perfectly. So I set about turning my first bowl on the old lathe with the new chuck on it.

I don't know what this wood is but man is it ever soft! I think it might be hackberry but that’s just a guess. Had a small catch and split the tennon off. Had to glue it back together.

I found it in the neighbors pasture and cut off a hunk. I don't want any more! It's soft and the end grain tears horribly. It's like turning spalted wood. I got the out side looking pretty good but I just couldn't do anything with the inside. Terrible tear out in there.

This is my favorite shape. When I quite turning 10+ years ago, if I had a style, this was it. It is 6.5" in dia and 5' tall. Walls are thick! At least 1/2" and probably more. It was so soft I was afraid of it coming apart on me if I got any thinner. The bowl is amazing light though. It really surprises you when you pick it up.

Just realized I didn't get a photo of the worm hold in the side. Will do that tommorow maybe.<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->

Ernie Nyvall
03-10-2006, 1:25 AM
That is a nice form Jeff. Congrats on your chuck coming together.

Ernie

Glenn Hodges
03-10-2006, 6:43 AM
JEFF it is a shame that wood is so soft because it has a nice color to it. Your form is a fine one.

Blake McCully
03-10-2006, 7:59 AM
Jeff,
Nice looking bowl. Did it really stink when you were turning it? I'm no expert but it kinda looks like catalpa. I don't know if you have that kind of wood down yonder, but that's what it looks like. It's pretty soft, at least the stuff that I've turned. And to me it smells like old wet coffee grounds mixed with wet cigarette ashes. LOML can always tell when I'm turning some of that. "Are you turning catalpa again?"

Dick Parr
03-10-2006, 8:04 AM
Nice job Jeff, glad it is all coming together.

Jeff Horton
03-10-2006, 8:38 AM
Jeff,
Nice looking bowl. Did it really stink when you were turning it?

No, no smell at all. But this was a down tree and appears to have been down for a long time. It was very dry. It is a pretty wood though.

Don Orr
03-10-2006, 9:20 AM
Very nice Jeff, glad to see things are working out well now. Blake may be correct with Catalpa. Color and grain look right and it is very soft and tears out badly. Sand easily and polishes up nicely. Also if it has been down on the ground for a while and not rotted it could easily be Catalpa because it does not rot very easily. Did it have really big leaves and long bean-pod looking seed pods in the Fall ?

I like your style very much. Very pleasing bowl, worms and all!

Mark Cothren
03-10-2006, 9:29 AM
Lookin' good, Jeff! Nice work on the tough wood.

Jeff Horton
03-10-2006, 9:35 AM
This tree has been down a long time. No idea what it was and leaves (or pods) long gone. I am familiar with the tree though, we used the worms for fishing. :)

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Jeff that is a good looking bowl. Like the form. Great work.

Ed Scolforo
03-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Jeff, I really like the form.
Ed