PDA

View Full Version : Poll: After-market Table Saw Miter Gauges

Frank Pellow
03-09-2006, 11:40 PM
There have been several recent threads in which after-market mitre gauges were discussed and I though it would be interesting to have a poll to determine the most popular of these among our members.

If you have more than one, please chose the one that you prefer.

Chris Padilla
03-09-2006, 11:51 PM
I love my Incra 5k! :)

Corey Hallagan
03-10-2006, 12:02 AM
Incra 1000SE here.

corey

Dev Emch
03-10-2006, 12:26 AM
Oliver Model #2. Period. End of Paragraph.

I am currently remaking a mahogony pattern based on an oliver #2 mitre gage and will have a number of castings made for a few folks. Orginally this gage was found only on oliver machines like the 232. But since borrowing one from a friend as a ginni pig, I am in love. This is the coolest, most basic mitre gage I have ever come across. Simple. Accurate. Substantial. Considerably smaller than the hunkin #1 gages found on larger oliver saws yet of substantial mass to shame the stock gage found on most table saws. The best part is that it is super simple to swap out the mtire bar with another one. The mitre bar is held against a central pivot by the lock down knob. This means this gage can be transplanted to **ANY** machine that needs one. I will put one on my martin T-17 with its dovetail mitre slot and another on my 30 inch disc sander. Its that versatile. So my vote goes to using a reproduction oliver #2!

Noel Hegan
03-10-2006, 4:14 AM
JDS Accu-miter for me. Chunky and super accurate. Have some LV friction tape on the face rather than sand-paper - no bits of grit scratching the table top.

Noel

Don Morris
03-10-2006, 6:32 AM
Hey guys,

I'm waiting for the delivery TODAY of my Grizzly 1023SL. Sold the Delta contractor in one day. Had it tuned up nicely and gave away a WWII thin kerf with extras (my cross cut sled for one). Plus sold Biesemeyer splitter cheaply which isn't going to fit on the 1023 according to Biesemeyer. But always thought my "mid-grade" aftermarket miter gauge for the Delta never slowed me down or inhibited what I wanted to do. The Chantilly woodworking show is coming up soon. LOML comes with and usually lets me get one new tool at it. I was thinking of steering her towards the Incra cross cut sled or something like that. Maybe I ought to be thinking aftermarket miter gauge. Your thoughts? How much more useful is the aftermarket miter gauge? Don't think I could get both out of her, she's good for one, but two would be stretching the budget too much.

Don M

Frank Pellow
03-10-2006, 9:25 AM
WOW, I knew that Incra was popular, but I did not know it was this popular!

The other surprise for me, is just how few folks have my choice -the JessEm Mite-R-Excel. Oh well, I chose JessEm over Incra, and I remain happy that I did.

Steve Clardy
03-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Can't vote. I use the ones that come with my saw, which is very seldom. Its more of a dust collector than anything.

Ron Wright
03-10-2006, 10:12 AM
I recently purchased an Incra 1000 SE, and it is super.

Aaron Kline
03-10-2006, 11:18 AM
I got an incra 1000se in the mail. It should be here tomorrow. The suspense is killing me:cool:

Gary Herrmann
03-10-2006, 11:26 AM
MY Woodhaven is on its second TS. Bought it when I had a DeWalt benchtop (horrible miter gauge came with it). Don't use it too much now that I have the Jessem sliding table, but I still like it.

Gary Keedwell
03-10-2006, 11:35 AM
I have the Woodhaven but use my dubby sled 95% of time.

Gary K

scott spencer
03-10-2006, 11:39 AM
I've got an Incra and an Osborne and prefer the Incra, so that's what I voted for....

Gary Keedwell
03-10-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm rather new here so I have a dumb question. On the upper right hand corner there is a red triangle next to number of post. I'm number 12 and I don't have triangle. What's it mean?

Steve Clardy
03-10-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm rather new here so I have a dumb question. On the upper right hand corner there is a red triangle next to number of post. I'm number 12 and I don't have triangle. What's it mean?

Thats to report a bad post. Members here have the chance to kinda self moderate. Its showing in your post here.

Rob Blaustein
03-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Thats to report a bad post. Members here have the chance to kinda self moderate. Its showing in your post here.
"kinda" being the key word here:) since we can't self moderate in the strictest sense, since it looks like you can't report yourself as posting a bad post.

Rob Blaustein
03-10-2006, 12:24 PM
BTW, one factor contributing to Incra's dominance here may be that they offer a larger number of gauges than the others, most of whom have only one entry (I think) in the market.

I have an Osborne EB-3 and have a few issues with it, but overall it's ok.

Gary Keedwell
03-10-2006, 12:24 PM
;)
Thats to report a bad post. Members here have the chance to kinda self moderate. Its showing in your post here.Thanks Steve

Steve Clardy
03-10-2006, 12:28 PM
;) Thanks Steve

Man thats strange. Now my triangle is gone.:confused: :confused: :D

roy knapp
03-10-2006, 12:30 PM
JDS it has compfortable weight and very accurate.:)

Gary Keedwell
03-10-2006, 12:57 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p Mine, too!!! LOL

John Dingman
03-10-2006, 1:29 PM
I have the JessEm Mast R Slide and I love it so far.

John

Dev Emch
03-10-2006, 2:03 PM

Wouldn't that be some kind of European traffic sign?:D

Frank Chaffee
03-10-2006, 2:14 PM
Incra 5k for me too. Also Incra V27.

No Steve,
Your triangle is always there for me, and I use it at least once a day.
Frank

Frank Chaffee
03-10-2006, 2:17 PM
…But I must say that I did see the Join-Tech, and it is the most innovative one out there!!!
Frank

Jerry Strojny
03-10-2006, 2:28 PM
I use the Dubby. I have issues with the bar on the underside of the sled or my griz G0444Z t-slot is not straight. I had to remove one of the screws on the dubby so it could slide. Otherwise it is very tight. I assume the griz is straight and the issue is the alignment of the screws in the bar.

Jim O'Dell
03-10-2006, 2:36 PM
Before I vote, I need Frank to clarify something for me. Are you including miter sleds in this poll, or just the guages? I have an aftermarked miter sled, but the factory guage I use for frame work where accuracy is not that critical. Jim

Steve Clardy
03-10-2006, 2:48 PM
Incra 5k for me too. Also Incra V27.

No Steve,
Your triangle is always there for me, and I use it at least once a day.
Frank

:eek: :eek: Keeping me in check Frank???:eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D :D :D

Vaughn McMillan
03-10-2006, 2:58 PM
...How much more useful is the aftermarket miter gauge? ...
I can only speak for myself, but the gauge that came with my Ridgid TS3650 was substantial and nicely-made. Still, I couldn't trust it. Even after adjusting the stop screws for "perfect" 90° and 45° settings, it seemed to always be a little bit off every time I moved it from one setting to the other. As a result, I still had to check, recheck, and check again every time I used the gauge. Then I got the Incra 1000SE, and after using it bit, I found I really could trust that it would be 90° or 45° every time I put it there, without having to check 9 different ways to be sure it was set right. I still occasionally do a test cut or two to confirm that everything's where it should be, but I've yet had to tweak the Incra at all.

My experience is with the Incra, but I would think most of the other aftermarket gauges with positive stops/pins/teeth for the common angles add a trust factor that I've never gotten from a factory gauge. The adjustable/extendable fence is also a nice addition. Although it's not too difficult to add a fence to the factory gauge, having a fence that's made to be straight and has built-in attachment capabilities (for things like stop blocks) is another value added by the aftermarket gauges.

HTH -

- Vaughn

Cary Falk
03-10-2006, 4:49 PM
I have the Delta 36-946 (was free after rebate)which is a dead ringer for the EB3. Does that go under Other or Osborne?

John Longwitz
03-10-2006, 5:05 PM
....with the Woodpeckers logo

JayStPeter
03-10-2006, 5:50 PM
I have a Jointech SmartMiter and an Incra 1000SE. They are both top notch. I voted the Jointech since Incra was already well represented.

Jay

Peter Lyon
03-10-2006, 5:51 PM
I have at least 5 or 6 - My primary one is a left side Dubby board. However, if I need to cut daddo's on the tablesaw, I use a homemade sled.

I also own an AccuMiter which for a variety of reasons haven't used in a number of years. I also own 2 or 3 basic miter guages that came with various pieces of equipment. I never use these but there around somewhere.

Gregg Mason
03-10-2006, 5:52 PM
1000SE. I'm happy with it.

Frank Pellow
03-10-2006, 6:01 PM
Before I vote, I need Frank to clarify something for me. Are you including miter sleds in this poll, or just the guages? I have an aftermarked miter sled, but the factory guage I use for frame work where accuracy is not that critical. Jim
My intention was to limit this to miter gauges. Maybe I will start another poll about after market sliders.

Doug Shepard
03-10-2006, 6:58 PM
I'm not going to vote as I'm not all that happy with my current after market gauge (JDS Accu-Miter) and think eventually I want to look for something better. It's built like a tank, but repeatability for angle settings isn't one of it's strong suits and there's always been a bit of play between the head and the bar. I do have the Incra V27 that I picked for use on the MM16 and would recommend it but I wouldn't necessarily consider it the best choice for TS use though. I think one of it's big brothers would be worth looking at if the V27 is an indication of how well those are made.

rick fulton
03-11-2006, 9:04 PM
In order of preference; Woodhaven, Vega, then stock.
But have hardly touched any of them since installing the Jessem sliding crosscut table.

Earl Reid
03-11-2006, 11:45 PM
I haven't used the miter in many years. I have a Dubby.
Earl:)

Jim Becker
03-12-2006, 10:04 AM
I own the Incra, but regularly kick myself for not buying the BenchDog when it was on the market. Now that was a SOLID miter gage system! Unfortunately, it was priced a bit high, IMHO, and didn't sell well.

Byron Trantham
03-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Bought the Inrca 2000 years ago and still love it.:D

Frank Pellow
03-12-2006, 10:51 AM
I own the Incra, but regularly kick myself for not buying the BenchDog when it was on the market. Now that was a SOLID miter gage system! Unfortunately, it was priced a bit high, IMHO, and didn't sell well.
Jim, this is the first that I have heard of a BenchDog miter gauge. Have you seen the JessEm Mite-R-Excel and, if so, how do the design and quality compare to the BenchDog?

Jim Thiel
02-19-2007, 6:38 PM

It was a statement similar to this in a previous post that set me to find out more. Here is the e-mail....

Sorry, there is no discussion of bringing it back. The year it debuted,
it won Best New Tool. At about $200+, the price was a little hard to
swallow. Even at that price, we lost money on every unit sold. It was
called Miter-Loc 360 and the special feature is that the adjustable
fence could spin around the miter bar 360 degrees and be locked in any
position.

I have only seen one for sale, ever. It's still for sale at Tried and
True Tools here in Minneapolis. I believe they have it tagged for
$199.99. Keep in mind that service parts would be close to impossible
to get. If you would like to contact Tried and True, call 763-574-0407
and ask for Paul.

You can see a random picture of it here:
http://www.amazon.com/Bench-Dog-MLF360-Table-Miter/dp/B00005RKNV/sr=8-1/
qid=1171897796/ref=sr_1_1/002-6409310-9832808?ie=UTF8&s=hi

So if you want one, there is one in MN. And for those of you in MN, sorry about your gophers.

Jim

everett lowell
02-19-2007, 7:54 PM
I own the bottom of the line Incra and quite happy with it. I keep the original miter guage (crapsman) for oldball jigs now and again.

Bob Michaels
02-19-2007, 8:12 PM
I have the Jessem (without the slide) and like it a lot. The solid costruction really impressed me and it's accurate and indexable to one-half degree. That's accurate enough for me.:D I also have the Jointech which I ordered along with my Jointech digital router lift a while back, but haven't really used it yet. Looked pretty good at the WW show though. If it's as good as the router lift I'll be one happy camper.:p

Dave Hale
02-19-2007, 8:22 PM
Incra 1000SE and added the hold-down and 'sandpaper' fence from Woodpeckers. Love it!

Frankie Hunt
02-19-2007, 9:09 PM
I have the Dewalt version of the Osborne. It came with the Dewalt sliding table. I'm happy with its performance.

Jeffrey Schronce
02-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Incra 1000 (not SE). Would rather have the Jessem if I hadn't gotten such a good deal on the Incra 1000.

Christopher Stahl
02-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Since I didn't vote last year, might as well now. :) I have the Jessem Mite R Excel. It's quite accurate and has excellent build quality.

Paul Douglass
02-19-2007, 10:18 PM
I have the Osborne, and I am not real comfortable with it. I keep checking it to see if it is accurate and it has always been right on. When I get my new saw I want to get the woodhaven. It looks very well build and accurate. I like them simple..

Dennis Peacock
02-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Jointech Smart Miter - Dead on always. Love the thing.

Bruce Benjamin
02-19-2007, 11:42 PM
My Jointech Smart Miter has been the biggest disappointment of any tool I've ever bought. Actually, of anything at all that I've ever bought that cost that much or more. Also the worst customer service I've ever received. I have a thorough write up on another forum and I'll share the link if anyone wants to contact me via PM. I've discussed this on another forum when someone asked about it and it received far more negative reviews than positive ones.

Bruce

Jim Tobias
02-20-2007, 1:26 AM
JDS- It is heavy and substantial, but I like that about it. I have used it fro about 6 or so years and have never had any problems with it. Once you start making jigs, you do not use them as often.

Jim

Stan Welborn
02-20-2007, 3:07 AM
My Jointech Smart Miter has been the biggest disappointment of any tool I've ever bought. Actually, of anything at all that I've ever bought that cost that much or more. Also the worst customer service I've ever received. I have a thorough write up on another forum and I'll share the link if anyone wants to contact me via PM. I've discussed this on another forum when someone asked about it and it received far more negative reviews than positive ones.

Bruce

Bruce, I'd like to hear or read about the problems you had with the Jointech SM and their CS. Could you PM me a link? Thanks.

Aaron Beaver
02-20-2007, 8:57 AM
Jointech Smart Miter - Dead on always. Love the thing.
I have a much different opinion than Bruce.

I just got mine a few weeks ago, and WOW, I did not know what I was missing. I had the Incra 1000SE but the Jointech is much better (IMO). Not saying the Incra was bad, but being a zero clearance at any angle, that is just great, don't have to re-calibrate at all. Needless to say it has made crosscutting much easier.

Brian Penning
02-20-2007, 9:59 AM
I think that if this poll was done again that there would be more Osborne votes. Since General has taken them over the gauge goes for $109 U.S. now. Used to be quite a bit more $$$.
Very very satisfied with mine.

Don Bullock
02-20-2007, 12:38 PM
Can't vote. I use the ones that come with my saw, which is very seldom. Its more of a dust collector than anything.

Same here Steve, but I voted for other. My TS is a Craftsman from the mid '70s. For miter cuts I use my SCMS.

John M. Cioffi
02-20-2007, 4:18 PM
It's the Osborne,for me. Perfectly accurate,time after time.
John

Bob Childress
02-20-2007, 5:05 PM
I have been very pleased with my Incra 3000. So much so that I'm now always looking for ways to use the TS instead of the SCMS. For me it's the accuracy and repeatability. :)

David Dundas
02-20-2007, 5:37 PM
I am very pleased with my Kreg, which has only been available for about a year, which probably explains why it has only a small market share so far. I agree with Bob, that an accurate miter gauge can make the SCMS redundant.

Rod Sheridan
02-20-2007, 8:54 PM
I have a Jessem mitre gauge and like it a lot.

Of course the factory mitre gauge that came with my General 650 is also very accurate, it however doesn't have a flip stop and telescoping arm.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. The Jessem also looks so nice in black and red anodizing, my wife's convinced that's why I bought it.

Ken Milhinch
02-20-2007, 10:42 PM
Bought the Incra 2000 years ago and still love it.:D

2000 years !!! Now that's a mitre gauge that lasts !!:D

Alfred Clem
02-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Because I like to make rather small objects, I use my Dubby all the time. Its little built-in clamp makes cutting short and narrow pieces of wood quick and safe. My eyesight is not the best, and so I love the Dubby's big angle scale.

Don Bullock
02-21-2007, 12:29 AM
I am very pleased with my Kreg, which has only been available for about a year, which probably explains why it has only a small market share so far. I agree with Bob, that an accurate miter gauge can make the SCMS redundant.

While that may be true, on my older Craftsman TS an accurate miter gage would be wasted. I'm enjoying using my SCMS. Before I upgrade to an accurate miter gage, I need to upgrade my saw.;)

Tim Wagner
03-11-2007, 1:33 PM
anyone have pictures of there Incra setups?? :)

glenn bradley
03-11-2007, 2:53 PM
My first fence was off by almost 1/16th when extended. The telescope shaft did not fit well. Incra promptly sent me another one no questions asked. It was much better but I did still shim the tiniest bit but that's just me. It does everything I've asked up to the point where a sled kicks in.

I replaced their hexheads with threaded knobs. Do they really think folks want to reach for an allen wrench anytime they move the fence left to right? Don't let my smarty comments deter you, it has been a joy to work with! I would buy another Incra (any model) without hesitation. The support folks are also great.

Tim Wagner
03-11-2007, 4:17 PM
wich model is this? is there one with a slider? I think I am leaning twords the JessEm so far.

Ray Scheller
03-11-2007, 5:06 PM
Woodhaven has done me well for 15+ years.