PDA

View Full Version : Waterlox vs General Finishes ArmRSeal

Marc Ward
03-09-2006, 11:29 PM
I am a little confused. I have used ArmRSeal, but never Waterlox. Are they basically the same? If not, how are they different?

I have been finishing by sanding to 180, then applying SealACell. Then 0000 steel wool and a coat of Gloss ArmRSeal, steel wool, ArmRSeal, steel wool, ArmRSeal, etc. Then I end up with one last coat, this time of semi-gloss ArmRSeal, and I wait for it to cure, then buff it.

For interior furniture, is there a reason to switch to Waterlox?

Jim Becker
03-09-2006, 11:53 PM
Waterlox is a phenolic resin varnish with a tung oil base. It's a very nice finish in many respects when a wipe-on finish is called for. I use it a bit on turnings and have also used it on a small walnut table top for my office.

While I have no experience with the General Finishes product, it also has a lot of happy users out there.

I don't think there is any major reason to "switch" products if you like what you are using and the finish it produces, but there is also no harm in trying something new.

Mark Singer
03-10-2006, 12:12 AM
Having used them both ....The General Arm R Seal is an oil Urethane and has good protective qualities...water beads up. It is more of a membrane type of finish. Waterlox is a little more natural and open and offers less protection...it is easier to repair and refinish like other tung oil finishes