PDA

View Full Version : Treasures from across the street!

ROBERT ELLIS
03-09-2006, 10:01 PM
Last year I helped my neighbor harvest the box elder that was in his front yard. The tree had been in decline for several years, having reached maturity and succombing to disease, needless to say it was becoming an eyesore in front of his beautiful house. Having read an article in wood mag about the lonely box elder and the beautiful wood that sometimes lurks inside...well as the picture shows this box elder didn't let us down.

I kept the smaller squares from a limb off of the tree but the larger squares (as I type this I don't know if the picture of the large squares will show up) I'm supposed to be selling off half of them (he'll get the money) and I get to keep the other half for my efforts...but, but, the greedy woodworker in me wants to try to keep all of the squares...what to do-what to do?

Hope you enjoy the pictures. And yes I could part with some of these, reluctantly of course.

Robert

I'm going to call this Treasures from across the street - part 1. Part 2 will be of some pictures of a "supposedly" Kentucky's largest chestnut tree (I'm once again half-owner) I bought from a neighbor across the street a couple of years ago. There's an interesting story that goes with this chestnut I'm hoping to share in a couple of days...

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-09-2006, 11:55 PM
Hey, those are some big chunks of wood!

Should they not be stickered, or, being that big, maybe it don't matter?

Nice wood, great gloat!

Cheers!

Dennis Peacock
03-10-2006, 1:30 AM
VERY NICE!!!! Wish I had a piece of that stuff....It's real purdy!!!!:D

Vaughn McMillan
03-10-2006, 3:03 AM
Hey, those are some big chunks of wood!

Should they not be stickered, or, being that big, maybe it don't matter?

Nice wood, great gloat!

Cheers!
They look stickered to me, Stu. It's just hard to see the little stickers amongst all that big, pretty wood. That's some beautiful stuff Robert. You've got a great neighbor.

- Vaughn

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-10-2006, 7:53 AM
In the side shots they do, but the end shot they don't.

Cheers!

Ed Lang
03-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Well I have never had any of this stuff in my hands so if you sell any, let me know how much to get a chunk to me.

I almost got to see some last year at the SMC get together but Carole had car trouble and could not make it.

One day.....

Has anyone resawn any and made a box out of it?