PDA

View Full Version : Laser cutting a stencil

Nick Napier
03-09-2006, 9:22 PM
Hello, I mostly do silicone wrist bands from e-bay and website, but was recently contacted by a customer to do a stencil for some glass etching. What is the best material to laser stencils for this type of project. I know that if anyone knows the answer to this you'all do.

Thanks
Nick Napier

Joe Pelonio
03-10-2006, 8:54 AM
Nick,

For photo images they would have to use a photoresist, so more likely they are doing clipart (b&W) images. I do stencils for glass etching but use Arlon Calmask,a 3-mil white vinyl with a removable adhesive which I cut on the vinyl plotter. It can be used for both sandcarving and chemical etching. I've also use Hartco or Anchor sandblast stencil, also cut on the plotter for sand. There are polyester and mylar films that can be laser cut. Laserbits http://www.laserbits.com/ has a .010 polyester stencil in 12"x24". Also, many wholesale sign supply companies sell roll adhesive
poly and mylar films.

Robert Bosworth
03-17-2006, 2:11 PM
Nick --

Rayzist also has a laser-specific masking material made for this exact purpose. The best solution would be to take the customer supplied glass, apply the masking, and then either vector cut or raster engrave through it. It will be much more complicated to create the mask without the glass in hand.

Robert Bosworth
www.usedlasers.com

Gene Buckle
11-18-2006, 1:48 AM
I've got some of the Laserbits stencil material myself and I'm having rotten luck cutting it with an Epilog Mini-24 with a 45 watt laser. Can someone recommend a good setting to try with this stuff?

Thanks!

g.

Joe Pelonio
11-18-2006, 3:43 PM
Gene,

I have not used it, but would think a speed of 30 and power 5-10 at most, freq 500.

Any tips for it in their catalog? (Mine's at the shop and I'm at home.

Gene Buckle
11-19-2006, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the tip Joe. I'll give that a shot. No tips in their catalog that I could find.

g.