PDA

View Full Version : Air Tool Questions

Doug Sloat
08-06-2003, 11:07 PM
Has anybody bought/used any air impact wrenches or ratchets from Harbor Freight or Grizzly? I would like to get a ˝”drive impact wrench and a 3/8” drive ratchet along with a few sockets. My ideal price range for both would be around $100 and they both have packages in this price range. Just to be used for occasional vehicle service and odd jobs.

Thanks,
Doug

john lawson
08-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Has anybody bought/used any air impact wrenches or ratchets from Harbor Freight or Grizzly? I would like to get a ˝”drive impact wrench and a 3/8” drive ratchet along with a few sockets. My ideal price range for both would be around $100 and they both have packages in this price range. Just to be used for occasional vehicle service and odd jobs.

Thanks,
Doug
I have not used either Grizzly or Harbor Freight, but here is another suggestion. I bought a pack of tools at Sam's Club. the package consists of various tools and accessoriesan impact wrench, die grinder set, a socket driver and some sockets, you get the idea. I'll try to attach a picture (haven't done that before).

What really impressed me was the quality of the tools and this set only cost about $55.00. I was in Sam's again recently and a similar set was about $73.00, think.

Oh, the brand name is DAPC and stands for DeVilbiss Air Products Company, all made in China.

regards

john

Jason Roehl
08-07-2003, 7:39 AM

Thanks,
Doug

I've got a P-C impact wrench from Lowe's for $120. 500 ft-lb forward and 600 reverse. No complaints with it so far...don't know what I ever did without it. I did pick up a 3/8 air ratchet as well, but almost never use it because it is too slow, in my opinion. That was around $40, I think. As for impact sockets, those I get from Homier Distributing Company since they are dirt cheap and have a lifetime warranty. Also, they are local, so I can just stop by if I need to replace any impact sockets.

BTW, the 3/8 air ratchet can be used with standard sockets, but you definitely need to get impact sockets for the impact wrench.

Keith Starosta
08-07-2003, 7:47 AM
I have not used either Grizzly or Harbor Freight, but here is another suggestion. I bought a pack of tools at Sam's Club. the package consists of various tools and accessoriesan impact wrench, die grinder set, a socket driver and some sockets, you get the idea. I'll try to attach a picture (haven't done that before).

What really impressed me was the quality of the tools and this set only cost about $55.00. I was in Sam's again recently and a similar set was about $73.00, think.

Oh, the brand name is DAPC and stands for DeVilbiss Air Products Company, all made in China.

regards

john

I've got that exact set, and I love it! I've used most of the pieces that came with it, and haven't had one problem. A good buy....for me, anyway! :D

Keith

Don Abele
08-07-2003, 1:51 PM
Doug, there is both a Harbor Freight and Northern Tools near where I live in Virginia. I've visted both and it's nice to be able to check out the tools before buying them. So are well worth the money, some aren't worth anything. While I've not looked at those tools in particular, let me make another recommendation for you.

Several years ago I bought a Campbell Hausfeld air compressor and associated tools. I have the heavy duty impact wrench and standard air ratchet. I have used them quite a bit on some very heavy duty applications and can recommend them as quality tools.

Be well,

Doc

Lynn Sonier
08-07-2003, 5:36 PM
I own the Harbor Freight electric impact wrench which is priced at about $70.00. It pays for itself when I drive 5 inch lag bolts.

John Piwaron
08-08-2003, 1:45 PM
I've got a harbor freight 1/2" impact (central pneumatic) and a 3/8" ratchet. At the time, I also picked up a couple of sets of impact sockets to go with them. Deep, regular and swivel. My use is hobbyist/homeowner, not professional.

These were bought LONG before harbor freight had any stores. I bought them when harbor freight was mailing all those tool brochures. Since I had nothing at the time, they filled the need. In light of all the years inbetween, I'd say they're worth the money.