PDA

View Full Version : setting up a new Unisaw

Mark Pruitt
03-09-2006, 8:02 PM
Hi,
I'm new to the Creek. After some 12-13 years or so of using a contractor saw (a Grizzly which still runs great) I took the plunge and bought a Delta Unisaw--something I had dreamed about for a long time. I'm now setting it up and have run into something that has me scratching my head a bit.

I have the long rails (Biesemeyer fence) and auxillary extension table. The rails are correctly installed and when I go to set the aux. table in place the fit is so tight that I have to literally force the aux. table into position against the saw table. When I do this, I can see that the pressure is pushing out against the rails. Those of you who have purchased a Unisaw like mine, did you run into this issue during setup? Or did the auxillary table slide easily into place between the rails?

My thought at this point is to use my belt sander and take off some of the front and/or back edges of the aux. table's frame. It doesn't seem to require a lot of stock removal; in fact, there is almost no discernable difference when I measure the distance between the rails as compared to the width of the aux. table (front to back). The last thing I feel like doing at this point is sending the aux. table back--first, I don't feel like waiting, second, a replacement will quite possibly have the same issue. I mainly wanted to see if anyone else has bumped up against this situation and if so, what you did about it.

Mark

Bruce Page
03-09-2006, 8:12 PM
Mark, welcome to the Creek.
My table was pretty snug between the rails but not excessively so. A year or two later I replaced it with a Woodhaven table that fit like a glove. Unless you have to really force the tubes apart, I wouldn't worry about it.

Jamie Buxton
03-09-2006, 8:12 PM
Rather than belt-sanding the auxiliary table, you could move the rails a tad further apart. Put a washer or some shim stock between the rear rail and the saw table at each mounting point. Don't have shim stock around? Cut up a charge card. Use the part without the embossed letters, and they're generally 30 thou. A thinner shim can be made from a soft-drink or beer can; you can cut the aluminum easily with scissors.

Larry Fox
03-10-2006, 8:58 AM
Mark, my situation is the same as Bruce's in that my extension table is snug but not excessively so. You could do as Jamie suggested or you could bite the bullet and build a new - more sturdy one yourself. Delta gets a knock from me on that table as I find it lacking in quality relative to the rest of the setup. I love the unisaw but replacing that table is on my near-term to-do list and I suspect it will be on yours as well.

Kyle Kraft
03-10-2006, 9:08 AM
Welcome, Mark I like the shim idea. Hope you enjoy the atmosphere at the Creek! Kyle

Brad Townsend
03-10-2006, 9:31 AM
As the others have said Mark, the Biesmeyer extension table on my Uni was plenty snug, but not excessive. Having said that, postings I've seen since I got mine two years ago suggest that the Biesmeyer extension table is the weak link in this package. I got a replacement myself when the laminate on the back edge of mine began peeling off two months after I got it. (The replacement is still in the box. I may get around to installing it someday:D, but more than likely, I will just make a good one.) Many have also reported the edge of the extension adjacent to the saw table dips in the center over time. (Mine drops about 1/16".)

I would contact Delta/Biesmeyer and have them send you a new one. Like you say, it may be no better than the one you have, but you have nothing to lose. In the meantime, you could do whatever it takes to get the defective one to fit. Hope you don't get too frustrated with this, because it is a great machine and you will not regret buying it. I sure haven't.

Jesse Cloud
03-10-2006, 10:40 AM
The biese extention table on my new unisaw had the same behavior. I wound up shaving a bit off. It also wants to ride high in one corner. I think I may make a better one when I get some time.

Anyhow, take your time to get it right. If you need to, take it out, plug the holes you drilled and start over. If the table isn't flat and square, you will have trouble. DAMHIKT :rolleyes:

Bob Johnson2
03-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Same as the rest, it was real tight but not enough to bend 1/4" angle iron. I just pushed it in (didn't see any bulges though), but probably should have shimmed it. I've had no problems or sag on the table as yet, about 1 yr old.

Andrew Shaber
03-10-2006, 4:11 PM
Have you tried loosening the rails from the saw, then attach the extension table, then tighten everything? As long as the rails and the table and extension mate well, I wouldn't be concerned. The biggest issue would come from the front rail flexing due to a thickness difference. I would closely check it with a straight edge after you tighten to make sure it is still straight.

Mark Pruitt
03-10-2006, 5:38 PM
Thanks everyone! I like Jamie's shimming idea and that's what I'm going to do tonight or tomorrow. It's no surprise that the aux. table has some sagging issues in the center where it meets the table--the frame lacks a cross member at that location, which seems doubly stupid given the fact that you have three threaded holes in the table edge just waiting for supporting screws. In fact, I think I'm going to use my plate joiner and attach a cross member beneath that edge before proceeding further.
Thanks again,
Mark