PDA

View Full Version : A hard piece of wood

Kent Parker
03-09-2006, 7:13 PM
I haven't made much lately to show and I didn't think this piece would fit under another forum so you turny folks can drool and figure out a way to spin this chunk.

I have no idea what type of wood (maybe a fir or pine) it is but can tell you its at least as old as I am, maybe a tad more. ;)

In addition to cutting wood one of my pleasures is roaming the country backpacking and picking up interesting looking rocks. I've got a very complete lapidary set up in the "wood" shop with a 20" diamond saw that was build specifically to cut rocks. I can cut slabs, grind em, polish them, tumble em and just have a great time. :D

This piece is a small part of a petrified/opalized limb that was about three feet long. Only a few inches were showing when we found it. Due to the number of folks that helped with the digging, we cut it up and passed the pieces around so everyone got a share.

Enjoy,

Kent

John Hart
03-09-2006, 7:51 PM
Kent,
I'm thinking that I don't want to use my skew on that!:eek: But being a rock hound...I would die to get my hands on it. Just gorgeous! What a find. Thanks for sharing this!!:)

Ernie Nyvall
03-09-2006, 9:37 PM
But being a rock hound...

You too huh. It is fun in the right hills and streams.

Wow Kent, that is the whole log. Thanks for showing us. I used to have access to lapidary equipment... my father had all that stuff, and like wood there's no telling what you will find in a rock until you cut in to it.

Ernie

John Hart
03-09-2006, 9:50 PM
My favorite place around here is a 30 mile stretch along Lake Erie that is a glacial escarpment where the last glacier came to a stop. It plowed everything from central Canada and deposited it as hills in the area. I've found ancient coral and fossils that I'm pretty proud of. Wish I had the Lap stuff though. Some day!:)