PDA

View Full Version : Wynn pleat beater pics

Brad Townsend
03-09-2006, 6:08 PM
I posted the other day asking for suggestions for motorizing an internal flapper for the Wynn filter on the venerable Harbor Freight DC. In the course of that thread, several expressed interest in seeing the beater that I built. There is not much original about this. Others have posted similar that I have copied. This is just my take on it.

Materials used: 1/2" threaded rod, 3/4" square aluminum tubing, 1 Rubbermaid 8 gallon waste basket (plastic flapper material), hard maple (cut into 2x10x1/4" strips, 1 piece of 1" wide x 3' long x 1/8" thick galvanized, 10x24 bolts & stopnuts, 1/2" nuts-stopnuts-lockwashers.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/btownsend/fa0f2e72.jpg

Each of the two flapper assemblies was 10" high x14" wide, making the total 20"x14". Fourteen inches was just enough to engage the pleats without putting undo stress on them. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS FOR THE SPUNBOND POLYESTER FILTER. If you are using the paper one, a somewhat less aggressive design would be advisable.

I drilled 3/16 holes through the aluminum arms and the rod and put a 10-24 bolt through it to secure it. I also threaded nuts and lock washers on the rod on both sides of each arm to stabilize them even more. The last part may have been overkill, but they sure are solid!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/btownsend/97de2eaa.jpg

The wood/plasic flappers are secured to the arms by 10-24 bolts and stopnuts. The plastic came from the sides of the waste basket and had a gentle curve molded into them. After I cut the plastic, I smoothed off the sharp edges and rounded off the corners to go easier on the filter pleats. The beaters are meant to rotate WITH the slight curve of the plastic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/btownsend/bb5b1463.jpg

Installed in the filter. One piece of steel strapping probably would have been enough.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/btownsend/DSCN0673.jpg

The last picture shows my modification for attaching the filter. Simply drilled four holes in the ring and used bungee cords. No more taking the bottom bag off and standing on my head fooling with those goofy turnbuckles.:D Thanks for looking.

Steve Clardy
03-09-2006, 6:54 PM
Looks great Brad!!!!!!

Wes Bischel
03-09-2006, 8:33 PM
Brad,

Thanks for the write-up. I'll have to review this again when I get around to putting my unit together!

Very nicely done - I especially like the use of the plastic garbage can - there's a certain poetry to it.;)

Wes

James Sweeney
11-07-2008, 11:27 PM
thanks for posting this, I really like your ideas. I also have the wynn with my Delta 50-850. I just cleaned my filter. the bag was 3/4 full and the filter was completely caked with dust. Took forever to clean. I hope putting in a beater will help.

Russ Massery
11-08-2008, 9:28 AM
Very well done. Looks like a very necessary item with your dust collector. Man you get a lot of dust in your filter. I have a cyclone that's a 3yrs old and I don't have a 1/10th of that amount of dust in my filters.

Ed Bamba
11-08-2008, 9:35 PM
Just wondering, but does the majority of the dust make it into the lower bag, or does it end up mostly on the lower lip when it is shaken off the filter?

Dave Mura
11-08-2008, 9:43 PM
Good stuff!

Brad Townsend
11-09-2008, 9:06 AM
Wow! Posted this on 3-9-06. This tells me to be careful what you post on here. It can come back to haunt you 2 1/2 years later!:D

The beater worked fine up until six months ago when it got replaced by a Griz G0440 cyclone. It now sits in my shop waiting for a buddy of mine to come and pick it up.

"Just wondering, but does the majority of the dust make it into the lower bag, or does it end up mostly on the lower lip when it is shaken off the filter?"

Ed, It would pretty much fall into the bag, but I usually would give it a quick once over from the outside with the air hose after turning the beaters. That would blow off anything that got hung up on the lower lip. I think the main advantage to the beater is not that removes everything, but that it loosens it enough so that a blast of air can remove it.