PDA

View Full Version : Persimmon----vase

Gary Max
03-09-2006, 4:12 PM
Well I made time for this adventure today. Super nice wood to work with even wet. I got the side walls 3/8 and it's in the alky bath now.

John Hart
03-09-2006, 5:54 PM
So....You went pretty thin on that. Man, I sure hope I didn't screw mine up. Did you see any surface cracking or anything?

Cool lookin' form by the way!

Gary Max
03-09-2006, 6:01 PM
John --I was real happy with they way it turned. Mine did not crack. I am only going to run it for 24 hours in the bath and them pull it for drying. I am hoping that it will work. To tell you the truth I ain't real happy with the shape, but that's not what I care about. This is just a test run for me. If you run your bath for three days ---then do the 21 day drying we can compare notes.

Gary Max
03-10-2006, 2:40 PM
Day two-------It's cracking---FAST.
John I pulled it from the alkey this morning let it sit for most of the day and mounted it up on the lathe again. I cut the neck way down---the form is a lot better now ,but it is cracking. I got the CA out and gave it a Super bath.
Hope yours works better.

John Hart
03-10-2006, 2:57 PM
hmmm...I've got two more days of bathing. even though I'm going to wrap it, I'll have to watch it closely for the first couple days. Maybe instead of wrapping, you can soak it with the Epoxy Manhatten or the CA as an alternative to a wrap?

Just wondering. Anyone out there know what the effects might be?

Gary Max
03-10-2006, 3:14 PM
You could wrap it---then bury it in sawdust for the first week.
That will slow it way down