PDA

View Full Version : Some Assembly Required

Lee DeRaud
03-09-2006, 3:01 PM
Drove over to Woodcraft this morning and abused my Amex card most heinously:
Ozzy, as usual, is a bit suspicious of new stuff in the garage.

The stuff on the right is a 24", counter-height base cabinet from the Borg, same as the one my CMS is on, and extra shelves for it. (I already had the 24x24 countertop slab for it and a mobile base to put it on.) If I did the math right, it'll put the spindle right at elbow-height, per Raffan's book...if that turns out to be too tall, I can saw off the toe-kick.

Not shown in this photo is the Harbor Freight stuff: a set of their cheapest turning tools (on the theory that it's better to learn how to use the grinder on a $35 set of tools than on a $100 name-brand whatever) and a face shield.

I need a nap.

Keith Burns
03-09-2006, 3:07 PM
Does this mean that "ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST" WAY COOL GLOAT !!!

Bernie Weishapl
03-09-2006, 3:52 PM
Oh my, oh my will miracles ever cease. ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST AND SLIPS INTO THE VORTEX!!!!! :eek: :eek: :D :D

Nice Gloat Lee. Welcome to the dark side. Getter set up and have some fun. Enjoy.

Scott Donley
03-09-2006, 3:55 PM
Man!, Did they see you coming or what ! and Ozzy's thinking " custom turned wood bones " Nice tools Lee.

Mark Cothren
03-09-2006, 3:59 PM
Way to go, Lee! Now get to shavin' some wood!

Lee DeRaud
03-09-2006, 4:01 PM
...and Ozzy's thinking " custom turned wood bones "Pffft...more likely OzzyBonkers(tm).

Jeff Horton
03-09-2006, 4:30 PM
You made three entities happy!

YOU

The Woodcraft store

And your Credit Card Company!

Vaughn McMillan
03-09-2006, 5:00 PM
Aw man...not you too, Lee. :eek: Well, it's been nice knowin' ya, vortex-boy. :D

Congrats on the new toys. I'd eventually like a similar setup, but first need to handle some space issues...in the shop (not enough) and the bank account (too much).

- Vaughn

Andy Hoyt
03-09-2006, 5:14 PM
The Vortex - one victim at a time. Good pile o' stuff ya got there. Welcome to da club.

Aw man...not you too, Lee. :eek: Well, it's been nice knowin' ya, vortex-boy. :D

Congrats on the new toys. I'd eventually like a similar setup, but first need to handle some space issues...in the shop (not enough) and the bank account (too much).

- Vaughn

Vaughn - You have mutually "inclusive" issues here. One will easily fix the other.

Lee DeRaud
03-09-2006, 5:19 PM
Vaughn - You have mutually "inclusive" issues here. One will easily fix the other.You mean...gasp...sell...tools?!?:eek:

David Fried
03-09-2006, 5:43 PM
Did you get the dog at Woodcraft or the Borg:confused: :D
Great start, hope you have more plastic :D :D
Remember, resistance is futile ...

Dave Fried

Vaughn McMillan
03-09-2006, 5:55 PM
It's not the tools that are taking up too much space...it's the couple bazillion boxes of other stuff stored in the garage. Unfortunately, it's mostly junk that wouldn't sell for the cost of the signs necessary to advertise it. A lot of it is stuff that LOML or I couldn't stand to get rid of when we moved here a bit more than a year ago. Having sat there unused for over a year, it's getting easier and easier to justify getting rid of it.

The next major expenses (if things go according to plan) are upgrading the electric service, then some type of DC system. The whole house needs an upgraded service panel, and in doing so I'd like to run 100 or so amps out to the garage (instead of the single 20 amp circuit I wrestle with now) and get set up for 220v capability. Then, I can power a proper DC system (my poor old Shop Vac is getting tired, and I've got fine dust everywhere).

Enough about me...this is Lee's coming out party! :p Congrats again on the new toys. Nice job on getting it all out of the way right off the bat (lathe, grinder, Wolverine jig, etc.).

- Vaughn

John Hart
03-09-2006, 6:00 PM
Those are some great boxes Lee!!!! I have lots of boxes around here too...but they're filled with books and clothes and stuff.

What's in your boxes?;)

Bob Noles
03-09-2006, 6:04 PM
he he he..... I knew he'd get sucked in. He's been hanging around down here more than is good for anyone not wanting to to taste the temptation of having a skew in hand :eek: :D

Welcome to the dark side Lee!

doug webb
03-09-2006, 6:16 PM
If the dark side is too dark, you can always turn a lamp. Great gloat.

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-09-2006, 6:40 PM
GET OUT the SLURPY. Got to salute the NEWEST Votex member.

Glad to have you here, LEE.

Bruce

Dick Parr
03-09-2006, 7:07 PM
Welcome to the dark side Lee, nice gloat.:D

Corey Hallagan
03-09-2006, 7:18 PM
Congrats Lee and welcome to the Dark Side as they say. You have some great box building talents so that will compliment your turning ventures with some pens and pen boxes, desk set stuff etc. Can't wait to see your first!
Corey

Travis Stinson
03-09-2006, 8:01 PM
Way to go Lee. It's a lot less painful when you don't fight it.:D

Cecil Arnold
03-09-2006, 8:15 PM
Great gloat Lee, welcome to the dark side.

Lee DeRaud
03-09-2006, 8:55 PM
...just to make sure everything is there and nothing is obviously FUBAR before I cut the box up to throw away. So far, so good.

Got the base cabinet assembled and threw the lathe up top to check the height. Yup, I'd forgotten to account for the height of the mobile base, plus it turns out the feet on the lathe itself are about 1/2" wider than the cabinet it will sit on. So there's another 3/4" for a "sub-base"...ended up cutting off about half the toe-kick, what a PITA. Cabinet still needs door trimmed down (hits the mobile base, just barely) and hinges adjusted, but it's very stable even with the lathe just sitting on it loose.
Which brings up a couple of questions:
1. When (if?) I bolt this sucker down, do I take off those little black "feet" thingies? They're not rubber (if they were I'd leave them on for vibration isolation) but some kind of hard plastic...looks like I can use bigger bolts/screws if I remove them first.
2. Ergonomics: I've currently got the lathe sitting right at the front edge of the cabinet. Does that make sense or should I move it back a couple inches? (In use there will normally be my "assembly table" off to one side to set stuff on. That picture is just where the beast is parked now so I could put the car away.)

Ernie Nyvall
03-09-2006, 9:49 PM
Congrats Lee!!! Looks like you're getting off to a great start there.

Ernie

Don Baer
03-09-2006, 9:54 PM
aww ain't that cute. Lee made the trip to the DARK side. Welcome now lets see some chips.

John Hart
03-09-2006, 9:58 PM
...2. Ergonomics: I've currently got the lathe sitting right at the front edge of the cabinet. Does that make sense or should I move it back a couple inches? (In use there will normally be my "assembly table" off to one side to set stuff on. That picture is just where the beast is parked now so I could put the car away.)

Lee....I have mine back from the edge about 5 inches. I did that so I could lay stuff where it was handy. But the reality, is that anything I put there gets covered with shavings and I lose them!!!:o

Bernie Weishapl
03-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Lee I have mine right on the edge. Puts more chips on the floor (cushion your feet :p ). I don't know if it is right or wrong but also if I have to lean over the lathe to turn inside I don't have to lean as far and you will lean to turn a bowl.

Tyler Howell
03-09-2006, 11:04 PM
Lee, Lee, Lee,:eek:.
We have the Crisis center and the hot line when you're feeling weak:( .
Just call buddy we can talk you out of this.
I'll assemble the deprograming squad. We'll get you detoxed and bring you home;) . Don't you worry buddy help is coming.

Lee DeRaud
03-09-2006, 11:21 PM
I'll assemble the deprograming squad. We'll get you detoxed and bring you home;) . Don't you worry buddy help is coming.Not to worry, I can still just go upstairs and fire up the light saber when I need a photon fix.:cool:

Problem is, the laser is just as much of a time sink as a lathe.:eek:

Don Baer
03-09-2006, 11:55 PM
I'll assemble the deprograming squad. We'll get you detoxed and bring you home;) . Don't you worry buddy help is coming.

So Tyler,
You've been hanging around the spinney forum a lot lately. When are you going to give up and join the fun. Remember, resistance is futel. You will be assimilated.....:D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Looks good!

Welcome to the vortex!! :D

Lee DeRaud
03-10-2006, 12:50 AM
So Tyler,
You've been hanging around the spinney forum a lot lately. When are you going to give up and join the fun. Remember, resistance is futel. You will be assimilated.....:D"We are Woodturner of Borg: your spinitude will be added to our own.":cool:

Don Orr
03-10-2006, 11:00 AM
Man, that's what I call SHOPPING :D . Great looking set-up. Chips will fly soon ! The pull of the vortex is infinite and cannot be overcome:p . You have been assimilated:eek: .

Don.

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!