PDA

View Full Version : Elm Bowl

Dick Parr
03-09-2006, 1:22 PM
This week when Joe Breid stopped by to say hi, he left me with a number of roughed out small bowls and this Elm is one of them. We weren't real sure I would be able to clean it up since it had warped so bad since he roughed it out. But it did clean up and has some wonderful color and grain in it.

It is 6" x 1-3/4" and is finished with Tung Oil and Bee's Wax on the lathe.

Thanks for looking and thanks for the roughed out bowls Joe.;)

Keith Burns
03-09-2006, 1:31 PM
Finished out great Dick. :) :) Not being a wood expert (or even a novice) I would have thought it was ash.

Bernie Weishapl
03-09-2006, 1:43 PM
Dick that looks great. It amazes me how pretty Elm can be.

Mark Cothren
03-09-2006, 2:22 PM
Very nice bowl, Dick! Looks like a bullseye on centering it up. You guys did good.

Thanks for the pictures!

Bob Noles
03-09-2006, 3:20 PM
Hey Dick..... Nice turn on that one. I like the simple finish method you used as well.

Pete Jordan
03-09-2006, 4:34 PM
This week when Joe Breid stopped by to say hi, he left me with a number of roughed out small bowls and this Elm is one of them. We weren't real sure I would be able to clean it up since it had warped so bad since he roughed it out. But it did clean up and has some wonderful color and grain in it.

It is 6" x 1-3/4" and is finished with Tung Oil and Bee's Wax on the lathe.

Thanks for looking and thanks for the roughed out bowls Joe.;)

Which did you put on first?

Pete

John Hart
03-09-2006, 6:05 PM
I woulda thunk it was ash too. None of the Elm around here has that striking grain. Very nice looking work Dick!:)

Jim Ketron
03-09-2006, 6:12 PM
Great looking Bowl Guys!

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-09-2006, 6:45 PM
Good lookin'. I really like your ability to line up the grain.

Bruce

Dick Parr
03-09-2006, 7:05 PM
Pete after sanding to 600 grit I put the tung oil on first and then drag a piece of bee's wax back and forth over the oil. Then I take the same oily rag and go back over the bowl burnishing the wax into the bowl. You want to keep the rag on until it gets the warm enough to melt. I will then put another couple of coats of wax on. It is a quick and simple finish.

Pete Jordan
03-09-2006, 7:17 PM
Pete after sanding to 600 grit I put the tung oil on first and then drag a piece of bee's wax back and forth over the oil. Then I take the same oily rag and go back over the bowl burnishing the wax into the bowl. You want to keep the rag on until it gets the warm enough to melt. I will then put another couple of coats of wax on. It is a quick and simple finish.

Thank you so much for your advice1

Pete

Ernie Nyvall
03-09-2006, 9:22 PM
That came out real nice Dick. I really like the grain in elm too.

Ernie

Joe Breid
03-09-2006, 9:29 PM
Dick,

The bowl looks great. You really made it look nice.

I did not know what this elm would look like as I have not finished any of the bowl blanks that I rough turned. After seeing what youi did with this, I can't wait to turn some of this elm. (I just need to finish the computer desk/library shelves I am making first)

Joe

Corey Hallagan
03-09-2006, 9:30 PM
Very nice Dick. Great lookng bowl.

corey