PDA

View Full Version : New tool gloat or regret?

Julio Navarro
03-09-2006, 1:17 PM
I usually stop by a couple of the pawn shops that are on my way home from work to see if there are any good deals there. Every so often you find a gem among all the boom boxes and base cabinets.

Today I saw a mig welder marked down to 199$ I offered the guy just from curiosity 180 and he said yes. So I bought it!?!?

Its a Campbell Hausfeld MIG-Flux 80 180$ out the door looks used but in very good shape cosmetically, yet to see if it actually works.

Is this a gloat or a regret? I am planning on welding some 22 gauge sheet metal.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-09-2006, 1:53 PM
Hey Julio

Is it set up for a gas bottle?

Can it be set up for a gas bottle?

If it is not, but can be, buy the kit for setting it up, and buy/borrow/lease the bottle, it is much easier to weld that sheetmetal with gas than with the fluxcore wire.

I don't know much about the brand, besides I've heard of it..........

Cheers!

Julio Navarro
03-09-2006, 2:09 PM
Hi Stu!

I think its bottle, and I am in the process of locating one to lease borrow or steal. I got it for the cyclone project.

I got some pics on the way showing how I am mounting the motor to the housing. as soon as my lovely wife emails them to me I will post them.

How are your projects going? Have you gotten that lathe working yet? Cant wait to see some of your turnings.

Charles McKinley
03-09-2006, 2:38 PM
Hi Julio,

If it works as well as my friends I think you will be very happy. It should have no problem with sheet metal. On the long seams you may bump into the duty cycle. Just stich them in and weld and pause for a while if it starts to trip the overload.

The picture police will be by soon. You have been warned. ;)

Julio Navarro
03-09-2006, 2:42 PM
I will post pics up as soon as I get it home!

John Lannon
03-09-2006, 6:21 PM
I usually stop by a couple of the pawn shops that are on my way home from work to see if there are any good deals there. Every so often you find a gem among all the boom boxes and base cabinets.

Today I saw a mig welder marked down to 199$ I offered the guy just from curiosity 180 and he said yes. So I bought it!?!?

Its a Campbell Hausfeld MIG-Flux 80 180$ out the door looks used but in very good shape cosmetically, yet to see if it actually works.

Is this a gloat or a regret? I am planning on welding some 22 gauge sheet metal.

Wire feed control stinks. Fluctuation in voltage to the wire . Duty cycle is extremely limited.