PDA

View Full Version : What happened to AMT

Jim Bunton
03-09-2006, 1:15 PM
I am brand new to the forum. Came here just looking for help I hope that isn't too rude of a way to start. After looking around I plan on makeing this place a regular stop.

Now for the question did AMT company go out of buisness or get bought out and more importantly where can I find parts? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you Jim Bunton

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-09-2006, 1:55 PM
Sorry Jim, I do not know what "AMT" is or was, but I just wanted to welcome you to the creek!

Cheers! :D

Jeffrey Makiel
03-09-2006, 2:03 PM
Jim,
If you mean AMT from Royersford (sp?), Pennsylvania, they have been out of business for quite sometime. They use to import Taiwanese clones of small bandsaws, drill presses, and other non-commercial sized import tools that were very common in the late 1980s and early 1990s. They were similar to several other importers including Total Shop, Transpower, Enlon, Star, etc. that have long since disappeared.
-Jeff

John Lucas
03-09-2006, 2:04 PM
Jim,
Quite some years ago, I think. I googled and got people who have been looking for the company for the past coupe of years.
CMT got me in trouble with my wife in 1967. I was working in NYC and got a call one day from wife who was rip roaring mad..."John, the truck just dropped a wood case on a pallet in the driveway. What have you done now?" I didnt know but got home hours later and the pallet was still there. It took me an hour to uncrate and tehn move heavy boxes inside the garage "shop." At that time I had a tilting table saw circa 1935 of Craftsment that was givien to me by a friend of my fathers. I also owned a craftsman router and jig saw and that was everything in my new shop. But, having sold one story to Workbench (Chippendale mirror copy...see pic) I had sent AMT a letter asking for a tool or two to tryout for publishing somewhere. I hadnt heard anything so I thought it just didnt get to the right person. I was wrong. I got one each of every tool they made and at that time every tool was a kit of parts...no assembly. My first AMT tool assembly was their shaper and it was very good...as though I would have known one way or the other. But I had no bits or money to buy cutters. My employer had a large exhinit service and when over there I was talking about the shaper with no bits, and the supervisor said "follow me" and we went back into the carpenters shop. They had an old timer, old school woodworker who made his own cutters and never used the same one twice...he had a collection par none. I could barely carry all that he gave me.
I assembled a few more of their tools but then got busy at work. In the 90s they were still around but making completed tools and then disappeared.
http://www.woodworking.org/photo/albums/userpics/10750/thumb_Mirror-r.JPG

Joseph N. Myers
03-09-2006, 2:07 PM
If it's the AMT I'm thinking about, yes they went out of business some 15 years ago. They had a retail store in suburan Phila and catalog. Closed their retail store 1st and then the catalog a year later.

Do a google.com using "amt+woodworking" and you'll see some info on AMT in addition to others trying to find parts for different AMT machinges.

Regards, Joe

They did have some nice things at a decent price and sorry to see them go. Bt what can you say!

Mike Zozakiewicz
03-09-2006, 2:41 PM
Just wanted to say welcome to the Creek Jim.

Mike

Kyle Kraft
03-09-2006, 2:50 PM
Welcome to the 'creek. I think you'll like it here.

Kyle

Steve Clardy
03-09-2006, 3:16 PM
Welcome to the Creek JIm!!
Haven't heard that name AMT in a long time.

Mark Hollingsworth
03-09-2006, 3:23 PM
Jim,
Quite some years ago, I think. I googled and got people who have been looking for the company for the past coupe of years.
CMT got me in trouble with my wife in 1967. I was working in NYC and got a call one day from wife who was rip roaring mad..."John, the truck just dropped a wood case on a pallet in the driveway. What have you done now?" I didnt know but got home hours later and the pallet was still there. It took me an hour to uncrate and tehn move heavy boxes inside the garage "shop." At that time I had a tilting table saw circa 1935 of Craftsment that was givien to me by a friend of my fathers. I also owned a craftsman router and jig saw and that was everything in my new shop. But, having sold one story to Workbench (Chippendale mirror copy...see pic) I had sent AMT a letter asking for a tool or two to tryout for publishing somewhere. I hadnt heard anything so I thought it just didnt get to the right person. I was wrong. I got one each of every tool they made and at that time every tool was a kit of parts...no assembly. My first AMT tool assembly was their shaper and it was very good...as though I would have known one way or the other. But I had no bits or money to buy cutters. My employer had a large exhinit service and when over there I was talking about the shaper with no bits, and the supervisor said "follow me" and we went back into the carpenters shop. They had an old timer, old school woodworker who made his own cutters and never used the same one twice...he had a collection par none. I could barely carry all that he gave me.
I assembled a few more of their tools but then got busy at work. In the 90s they were still around but making completed tools and then disappeared.
http://www.woodworking.org/photo/albums/userpics/10750/thumb_Mirror-r.JPG
John, I have been to your website several times lately and you haven't put up anything since Jan. I enjoy your demos/reviews. When will you be posting some new material? Thanks Mark

Dave Lehnert
03-09-2006, 4:56 PM
American Machine Tool (AMT) went out a long time ago. Their main business was water pumps of some kind. It was still going after the woodworking tool business went under.

Harry Goodwin
03-09-2006, 6:39 PM
Amt is from Royersford and over ten years ago stopped importing woodworking machines and concentrated on pump business. They wrote to all the registered folks with the promise to supply parts for ten years after they shut down the tool business and that ten years has elapsed. I have a dinasaur sander, scroll saw, drill presss, table saw and planer. They provided reasonable woodworking costs when money was tight. Harry

Jim Bunton
03-09-2006, 7:38 PM
Thank you one and all for both welcome and the information even if it wasn't what I hoped for it is what I expected. I will keep checking if anyone has any ideas.

Jim Bunton

Don Baer
03-09-2006, 7:40 PM
Jim,
What parts are you looking for ?

BTW, welcoe to the creek.

Jim Bunton
03-10-2006, 1:36 AM
Jim,
What parts are you looking for ?

BTW, welcoe to the creek.

Don,
I am looking for the upper wheel bracket / hinge assembly, I do have the part #'s. Thank you for the welcome what a friendly place.

Jim Bunton

lou sansone
03-10-2006, 6:01 AM
hi jim
welcome to the creek - a nice place to hang out

lou

John Lucas
03-10-2006, 7:26 AM
John, I have been to your website several times lately and you haven't put up anything since Jan. I enjoy your demos/reviews. When will you be posting some new material? Thanks Mark

This Sunday finally. I had shoot with Jos last Tuesday and Andrea today. SHoul dbe able to doit weekly again. DVD learning curve was a b....

Kent Fitzgerald
03-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Don,
I am looking for the upper wheel bracket / hinge assembly, I do have the part #'s.
This is for a bandsaw, I presume?

If it's a 14" cast iron frame saw, they are fairly generic, and there's a very good chance that the equivalent parts from another import saw (like a Grizzly G1019 or Jet JWBS-14) will fit.

Bill White
03-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Bought a 16" scroll saw from 'em LONG ago. Very heavy, smooth, quiet....Still workin' like a dream. Too bad that they aren't around.

Mark Hollingsworth
03-10-2006, 4:51 PM
This Sunday finally. I had shoot with Jos last Tuesday and Andrea today. SHoul dbe able to doit weekly again. DVD learning curve was a b....
Thanks for the reply John. I look forward to your new demos. Mark

Karl Dutcher
03-10-2006, 5:02 PM
As most of you folks probably, I have a slew of catalogs. And AMT - being alphabetically sorted - is at, or near, the start. Time for it to go to the recycle bin.

Gee, I guess I should go through them and see what other relics are in there. I usually just pitch old stuff when I get a replacement.

Jim Bunton
03-12-2006, 8:37 AM

If it's a 14" cast iron frame saw, they are fairly generic, and there's a very good chance that the equivalent parts from another import saw (like a Grizzly G1019 or Jet JWBS-14) will fit.

Thank you Kent.
I went to the Grizzly site and looked at the manual for the 14" band saws, they sure do look my saw I will be ordering the parts next week.

tod evans
03-12-2006, 10:40 AM
jim, if you`re speaking of the importer of tai/chi equipment i believe sunhill has access to the amt line? welcome! .02 tod

Jim Bunton
03-26-2006, 7:17 AM

Kent, I received my parts from Grizzly and finally got time to install them the saw is working great. Thank you all for taking the time to help.

Jim Bunton