PDA

View Full Version : Sanding?

Jeff Horton
03-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Talk to me about you methods of sanding. When I was turning 10+ years ago I didn't have the benefit of the internet and easy access to the wealth of information. So I winged it. I did my sanding on the lathe and like flat work, I rarely sanding past 320 grit. Never could figure out why my bowls would not turn out glass smooth.<o>

</o> Jump forward to today. Having learned so much more I know see the benefits of sanding to much finger grits. I Just took a 10 year old bowl, one of the last I ever turned, and mounted it on the cole jaws and sanding it. It was sweet gum and I was amazed at the difference. With just a BLO finish on it's remarkable at how much better it looks. Dear wife was scared I would ruin it. Had to sneak it out to work on it. Even she is impressed at how much better it looks.<o></o>

One thing I saw that really caught my eye was the none powered bowl sanders, like the crown. If you use one of these how do you like it? I find it hard to get the sanding marks out those look good, but how do they work?<o></o>
How many of you use a power version? Like an angle drill? <o></o>
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
I am ready to move to the next step.... just trying to figure out what it is. <o></o>

Ernie Nyvall
03-09-2006, 12:55 PM
I use the sioux and Milwaukee angle drills. They work real good especially for a natural edge bowl where you have the wings flying around. I turn the lathe off to sand the wings with the drill. They are helpfull on the inside of any bowl, and when you get up to the finer grits, they don't leave marks. I do leave the bowl on the lathe and have it turning at a slow speed for regular bowls.

Ernie

Keith Burns
03-09-2006, 1:28 PM
Ditto what Ernies said. You can't beat power sanding. I use the non-powered version only where I can't reach with the powered version.

Jim Becker
03-09-2006, 2:51 PM
I use a Souix angle drill currently for general sanding of turnings that can be sanded on the lathe.

Jim Ketron
03-09-2006, 5:42 PM
Sanding is an art in itself! There are many methods of achieving the same result, some turnings take a long time some don't. Some woods sands easily and some take forever to get right. Also a lot depends on what type of finish you are wanting to achieve, and how much time you want to spend on a particular piece. Gallery type of finish or utility type finish? It took me a while to learn how to sand properly and to get a good finish on my work! I was not satisfied with my finishes for a while and got plenty of help from friends and forums but reading and doing are two different things, it takes time to develop your techniques just like turning does.

I'm a Sanding nut I have been known to spend hours sanding on one piece!
I try my best to have no sanding scratches in my work, The way I see it why spend time to cut the wood, cut it into turning blanks, seal it with Anchorseal, rough turn it, let it dry, finish turn it, and then not take the time to give it a proper finish to show off your hard work?

I use the Souix angle drill for power sanding, the 2" and 3" pro Velcro disk holders from Packard Woodworks. I use Rhynogrip hook and loop sandpaper I cut to size, I have these grits 80,120,240,320,400,600, I start on the highest grit that the finished turned piece will allow. I run my lathe around 300 rpm and the drill medium speed to fast and use light pressure with the sanding pad. Remember heat is your enemy while sanding light pressure is best and it will cut faster and wont burnish your tuning from the heat which is not good because it makes the wood hard and will take you longer on the next grit. Everyone has their own ideas about speed and technique but this is how I sand mine. when you pick the starting grit and if it's not cutting fast enough, drop down one grit and start over. I try my best to get all the tool marks and tearout with my first grit. IMO this is where a lot of people make mistakes buy moving up to the next grit before getting them all out this was my main problem while I was developing my sanding technique! If you have tool marks and tearout after the first grit you will either spend lots of time trying to fix them a few grits down, or when you get to your last grit and get it off the lathe and think you are finished and admiring your work and it sticks out like a sore thumb! but some times you will miss one and you can get it with the next grit, but its best to give it a good look over before switching to the next grit. Be sure to wipe the previous sanding dust and grit off good before going to the next grit it leaves the residue from the previous grit and if you don't get it out it will leave sanding scratches.
Have fun sanding
Jim

Jeff Horton
03-10-2006, 9:12 AM
Thanks for the input.

But does/has anyone used the spinning disk sanders? Like Crown sells?

George Troy Hurlburt
03-10-2006, 9:34 AM
I use the inertia sanders almost exclusively. They come in the 3" and 2" sizes. They use regular hook and loop sanding discs, for me the sanding scratches are less. Besides I have arthritis in my hands and power sanders don't help any. If you have the Craft Supplies catalog you can see them on page 66 or read about the one by Vic Wood which I have. GT

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=300-1000