PDA

View Full Version : need help

Mike Evertsen
08-06-2003, 5:28 PM
this door is from old hutch I had make new door to match this one it's quarter sawn white oak the finish is whats I'm stuck on it's has an orange tint,,,,,,

Joe Tonich
08-06-2003, 6:14 PM
How about de-waxed orange shellac? Worth a try. Good luck.

Joe

Todd Burch
08-06-2003, 6:17 PM
I would agree with amber shellac, and only add a LOT OF COATS to get that dark. What's wrong with that door?

Mike Evertsen
08-06-2003, 8:52 PM
I would agree with amber shellac, and only add a LOT OF COATS to get that dark. What's wrong with that door?

this door is fine the door I'm making a replacement for someone made from oak plywood and stained it dark the cleint wants me the make a door like this pic. except for design,,,,,

Jim DeLaney
08-06-2003, 9:22 PM
this door is from old hutch I had make new door to match this one it's quarter sawn white oak the finish is whats I'm stuck on it's has an orange tint,,,,,,

I'd play with orange shellac and garnet shellac on some scraps until I got it close.

Another alternative would be transtint dyes, with a top coat of shellac.

The original was probably finished with shellac (only) though.

BTW, are you carving a fleur-de-lis for the new door, too?

Steve Clardy
08-06-2003, 10:02 PM
I'd play with orange shellac and garnet shellac on some scraps until I got it close.

Another alternative would be transtint dyes, with a top coat of shellac.

The original was probably finished with shellac (only) though.

BTW, are you carving a fleur-de-lis for the new door, too?

fleur-de-lis?? So what school did you attend for this langauge?
All I got out of that class was whatcha-magigger thingie. [means I have no idea]
:D Steve

Terry Quiram
08-07-2003, 7:23 AM
Mike

My wife and I made a top for an antique dinning table that was destroyed. The original finish also had an orange tint. We experimented a lot to get a color match. We started with orange dye (water base) as the base coat then applied various other colors to finish. It took a lot of trys before we found the right combination.

Terry

Brad Schafer
08-07-2003, 10:26 AM
fleur-de-lis?? So what school did you attend for this langauge?
All I got out of that class was whatcha-magigger thingie. [means I have no idea]
:D Steve

quacked like the AFLAC duck. thanks for the laugh,

:D :D :D

b

Noah Alkinburgh
08-07-2003, 10:30 AM
Mike,

I have no idea what era that door is from, but I know it was very common at one time to fume (amonia I believe) QSWO. The chemicals react with the acid in WO to darken the wood. Maybe you want to try something like that too. I know I have read that this can be replicated with dyes so it is safer than fuming. Just a thought.

Noah

Daniel Rabinovitz
08-07-2003, 12:58 PM
I have come real close with:
Minwax
Step one - English Oak stain
Step two - Colonial Pine stain also additional coats
Step three - Antique oil

I'll post photo of shelf but will have to work on it for the web (reduce it's size) - only if you want to see it.

Mike Evertsen
08-07-2003, 1:45 PM
I have come real close with:
Minwax
Step one - English Oak stain
Step two - Colonial Pine stain also additional coats
Step three - Antique oil

I'll post photo of shelf but will have to work on it for the web (reduce it's size) - only if you want to see it.

thanks I will have to get some antique oil ,,,,,I have been mixing stain and using amber shellac all morning about ready to give up and let the client find a refinisher that can match it,,,,, But I'll try this I'll post when it's done,,,,,,