PDA

View Full Version : Wrongway Boxes

doug webb
03-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Before I got online and began to get myself 'edgucatid', I had been doing a little woodworking without knowing any better. Now I know about dovetails and box joints and floating bottoms along with locking miter cornes and such. So in my ignorance I produced quite an inventory of items such as these. Please don't tell my family members that these were built the ' wrongway'. Spalted pecan and cedar.

Mark Rios
03-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Gosh, what a bunch of trash Doug. Fortunately, there are members here that have disposal sites for mistakes like this. They take it and mke sure that it doesn't infect anyone else.

:D :D :D :D

Just teasin', of course Doug. Those are really nice. I really, really like the spalted one. One of these days I'll be able to make a box. For know though, I can only make a board shorter and/or smaller.

Pete Harbin
03-09-2006, 1:46 PM
Yowza Doug! That spalted pecan is fantastic!

Pete

Ed Lang
03-09-2006, 1:48 PM
I think the "wrong way" boxes look great!

Mike Zozakiewicz
03-09-2006, 1:52 PM
Nice work Doug,

I really like the pecan box. If your "wrongway" boxes look this good, I can't wait to see you "rightway" boxes.:D

Mike

Jim Becker
03-09-2006, 2:42 PM
And the problem is...what? Beautiful work, Doug!

Kent Parker
03-09-2006, 3:41 PM
Doug,

Those look beautiful!! The spalted box is amazing.:eek:

Wrong way?? I don't think so....Very nice work.

Cheers,

Kent

doug webb
03-09-2006, 5:46 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I kinda like these myself. Both boxes were taken from rough log to finished product. A bit different than 'store bought' wood. Out of the 20 or so boxes I have made, these are my favorites. Each is a couple years old and have been in different environments, without any trouble with butt joint failure or wood movements. From what I have read, this is rare, as the tops and bottoms are glue solid with no provision for movement. Thus the 'wrongway' title. Thanks for looking and again for the kind words. doug

Peter Stahl
03-12-2006, 11:34 AM
doug,

Awsome boxes, I really like the spalted one. I wouldn't say wrong way either. Keep em coming!