PDA

View Full Version : Big Mistake

Tom Hamilton
03-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Hi All:

I guess this is posted as a word of warning and confession.

I'm cleaning up a nice Bedrock 605, with a April 92 patent date, thinking, wow this thing is over 100 years old.

Put the lever cap back on and didn't have the screw in far enough. Not good. Lever cap breaks into three pieces. :mad: :eek: :mad:

Lesson: Don't always get a bigger hammer. In this case, too much pressure on the lever.

If anyone has a Stanley R&L Bedrock lever cap they want part with I'm in the market.

Best regards, Tom...In Houston sadly looking at 100 year old broken parts.

Jim DeLaney
03-09-2006, 10:37 AM
...If anyone has a Stanley R&L Bedrock lever cap they want part with I'm in the market.

Best regards, Tom...In Houston sadly looking at 100 year old broken parts.

Tom,
Bummer about that lever cap!

Now the bad news: Replacement Bedrock lever caps are really hard to come by (since many got broken just like yours), and command really high prices when/if you can find them.

On the sorta good news side, if you're just planning on keeping this plane as a user, any #4 or #5 (2" wide) lever cap will fit the Bedrock. Those should be much more readily available. You might even pick up a junker plane for next-to-nothing, just to get the lever cap.

Good luck!

Derek Cohen
03-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Tom

Keep an eye out on eBay - I generally see several for sale.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Maurice Metzger
03-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Tom, the "Bob Kaune Antique & Used Tools" site shows some Bedrock lever caps for sale, but they aren't cheap:

http://www.antique-used-tools.com/stanley_parts.htm

No connection to site, and I've never bought anything there so I'm not even a satisfied customer.

- Maurice

Ed Breen
03-09-2006, 4:38 PM
Tom,
Isn't it amazing how brittle the caps really are. Did the same thing to my 608. Since I'm not a bedrock collector I had a friend weld it back together and it holds just great.
Ed

Tom Hamilton
03-09-2006, 9:40 PM
Thanks for the sympathy and encouragement.

It's a user so I could take one from another plane in the inventory, but that red paint from the 1950's Handy Man just doesn't look right on the "92". :eek:

The weld idea is interesting; there's a rural welding shop around the corner from us (subdivision on the edge of city). He's attached my patio umbrella bases and stands before, I'll see him tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Yes, there are some on ebay, and I'll probably end up there. :D

Just really unhappy with myself for being the guy to break something that lasted so long.

Just remember more horsepower is always good, more force is not.

Tom, in Houston, holding broken 100 year old parts.

Corvin Alstot
03-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Tom/
I have a extra "Bedrock" lever cap-type 6, 2" wide. It is not the correct type for your round sided bedrock, but ping me if you are interested in buying.