PDA

View Full Version : Drum Sanders

Dick Parr
03-09-2006, 8:23 AM
Having asked about the new Grizzly drum sanders all over the different boards and not getting and info from anyone that has bought one, it is time to move on.

I want to stay on the small side and will be using it for segmented rings and an occasional ruff sawn board

Other then the Delta 18" open end and Performax 16/32, are there any any others out there I could be looking at? :confused:

Thanks

Mark Singer
03-09-2006, 8:32 AM
Dick,
I used to have a Performax 16/32 and it is very limited on the size of boards it can handle. The several years ago I got the General Double drum sander. It has 3 HP and a vinyl conveyor....much more capable machine and still that pricey...around $1500 to $1700 if I remember.

http://www.workbenchplans.com/woodsmithstore/general-210100-main.jpg

Jim Becker
03-09-2006, 2:46 PM
Dick, the new small Grizzly drum sander was just released, so I doubt you will get too much commentary. I think someone posted here recently about getting one, however.

(I'm very happy with my Performax 22-44 Plus)

Matt Meiser
03-09-2006, 5:58 PM
I have the Delta 18/36 which I like other than I spent a LOT of time getting the table mechanism adjusted right. I've also seen Mark's General, and it is definitely a nicer sander, but should be at 2X the price. If you can swing the price of the General, I'd go that route. If not, you'll probably be happy with either the Delta or Performax, or probably the Grizzly, but I haven't seen any reviews yet.

Cecil Arnold
03-09-2006, 8:30 PM
Dick, I've got the Performax 16-32 and used it for my one try at segmented. It worked well so I guess I could recommend it. Performax has introduced a 10-20 sander that you might want to look at if you don't plan to turn anything over 10". I would not want to make two passes on a ring, as I think it might introduce more problems than I want to deal with.