PDA

View Full Version : Which bowl gouge for me?

Richard Jones
03-09-2006, 6:54 AM
Good morning all,

Looking to buy my first real bowl gouge. Am doing smaller stuff right now, probably not going over 12", if that, for a while. Trying to figure out the difference between the spindle bowl gouges and bowl gouges and.............

Am primarily looking at the Sorbys, either a 3/8 or 1/2. I have a Sorby 3/8 fingernail and really like it, so I may stick with those, but not hardheaded enough not to try something else. I have done a couple of smaller bowls with the 3/8 gouge, just seems sort of slow. Will the bowl gouge be that much faster?

Also, while I have you, :), I have one scraper, a 1/2" round nose. I really like the one that Mr. Raffan uses, I believe it is a bowl scraper, but not sure about the "handing" of these. Any comments on those?

Boy, if I ever get to that Turners Anonymous in Richmond, those guys are going to have a lot of questions thrown at them........... :)

My thanks in advance for your help and patience.............

Rich (just glad to be here) in VA

Dick Parr
03-09-2006, 7:52 AM
I would take a serious look at the Crown PM 3/8" bowl gouge. These are really nice gouges and the edge lasts longer so you don't have to sharpen them as often.

You might want to take a look at the Ray Keys scraper. It is setup to do both the inside and outside of a bowl or whatever. You can go right and left with it.

Good luck

Cecil Arnold
03-09-2006, 8:28 AM
Pretty much what Dick said. I too like the Crown line, but would recommend the Elsworth, Irish, etc. grind.

Chris Rolke
03-09-2006, 10:26 AM
can i though in something an then run

i have a sorby 1/2"

and recently purchased a benjamins best ( penn state) i really like it

i tried to learn to sharpen on a sorby( thats an ugly situation )

i dont mind trying it now on a $20 gouge as opposed to a $70 sorby

the only thing to keep in mind is a 1/2" sorby is measured inside the flutes where a 1/2" benjamins best is measured outside the flutes

having said the above i will agree that there is a difference in quality but for the price difference it is atleast something to think about

cjr

Don Orr
03-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Rich, you have received some good info so far. I would like to add my 2 cents if you don't mind. If you have the Woodturners Catalog from Craft Supplies USA, inside the front is usually a brief description of the various turning tools and their intended uses.
The basic bowl gouge is made from a round bar of steel (HSS) into which is milled a deep V or U shaped flute. The cutting end can be ground several different ways. Unless you buy an Ellsworth signature gouge, most bowl gouges come with a cutting edge profile that is not very useful. We almost always have to modify them to our own prefered profile. When I teach Basic Bowl Turning, I recommend they start with a more "traditional" grind just to get used to the process of turning a bowl. Sharpening this type is very easy without a jig. When you get more comfortable you can try different grinding angles and profiles as you wish.
I do use a side grind and traditonal grind all the time and find both to have advantages. Side grind is exceptional on the outside of a bowl and the older grind works well on the inside, but both tools will do either job.
A group of tools in the Woodturners Catalog called the Artisan line are excellent tools for a very good price. They are made by Henry Taylor of HSS with nice long handles for good control. I have Sorby's, Crowns, Hamlets, Crown Pro PM and some Artisans. My workhorse gouge is often the Artisan 1/2". The 3/8" is great for smaller stuff and details, but I like the mass of the 1/2" for larger work. The Crown Pro PM tools take and hold a good edge very well. They are my favorite spindle gouges. Also consider the Pinnacle brand at Woodcraft. HSS at a good price that you can grind on and not worry about ruining an expensive tool.
As for scrapers, I was taught to use a half-round on the left for the inside and a straight (almost) on the outside. Some of these you can easily make yourself as they do not need to be HSS.
Sorry this is so long and I could even go on. Hope this has been of some help.
Good luck and have fun, Don
If you have other questions, feel free to contact me.

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Jim Becker
03-09-2006, 2:50 PM
My workhorse gouge is the 5/8" - 1/2" Ellsworth gouge and I use them for nearly all my turning of bowls and vessels from really small up to whatever constitues "big". I like the stability of more metal, even on small workpieces.

Ed Breen
03-09-2006, 4:15 PM
Jim, I quick question. I read your description of the ellsworth in another thread and have found a 5/8 at my local Woodcraft which I will buy when I go in this sunday for a plane tuning class. There is also another gouge on sale for about $40. it seems to be like the Ellsworth but with a pronounced "V" shape. Will that be a good one in addition to the ellswaorth?
Ed:confused: