PDA

View Full Version : Used bandsaw - what to look for

Rob Wilson
03-08-2006, 11:22 PM
I'll be looking at a used Delta BS tomorrow. Never had one, and don't know what to look for. The owner didn't know what size it was or have a model number. He said it is a wood bandsaw but had some blades made to cut some metal and hasn't used it since.

Any hints appreciated.

Vaughn McMillan
03-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Rob, I'm a relative rookie when it comes to bandsaw science, but several things to look for (or at):

Any cracks anywhere? Table, wheels, trunnion? Does the rubber on the wheels look dry and cracked, or does it look healthy? (It's not too difficult to replace the rubber tires on most wheels.) Look at the blade guides (both the upper and lower ones) and if possible, try adjusting them to see that they move as you'd expect. Blade guides are pretty simple, so it's not real hard to figure out what to loosen to move each adjustable part. Here again, they're generally easy to replace if necessary without too much work.

If possible, run the saw. Look for vibration, rubbing, grinding -- the typical things that machines generally shouldn't do. Assume the blade is trashed, and don't worry if it doesn't cut well. Smoke from the motor is a bad thing. :D Belts and pully wheels can be replaced, but check to see if they look OK.

I know the tension spring plays an important role, but hopefully someone else will chime in to educate us both on how to tell a good one from a bad one.

That's a start...you'll likely get more and hopefully better advice. Have fun shopping, and let us know how it goes.

- Vaughn

Ken Fitzgerald
03-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Rob...........I don't own a bandsaw but I do repair equipment, Ct scanners, MR scanners, x-ray equipment,and have in the past repaired radar, etc. I've also overhauled engines, ground my own valves, replaced clutches, steering wheel pumps, brake jobs, replaced shocks and struts, tuned vehicles...in other words, my own mechanicing for 30 plus years.....So here's my take on it.......1. I'd open the covers over the wheels and inspect the tires and the wheels for any sign of unusual wear. 2. I'd turn it on and listen for any unusual sounds....squeeling, whining, anything that would seem to be out of the norm. 3. If you have operated a b/s I'd ask to cut some hardwood with it and listen for unusual sounds and if not, I'd ask the owner to perform some cuts. 4. If the table tilts, tilt it to it's extreme limits and back to 0 trying to feel for any unusual mechanical movements, sensations, hesitations during it's full range of travel. 5. While it's on, I'd place my hand on the table in a safe place and position and feel for vibration. 6. If the owner was acceptable, I'd take a piece of string or a long straight edge and check the wheels for being co-planner.

That's my take on it. I'm sure others here with more experience will jump in with more suggestions.

Good luck with your hunt!

Tim Morton
03-09-2006, 7:16 AM
I would check to see that its made in the USA....lots of the NON-US delta were problematic.