PDA

View Full Version : First project...

Tom Fortier
03-08-2006, 9:56 PM
Just finished this bed. Getting ready to make a matching dresser.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/t4tr/album?.dir=/72c9

Julio Navarro
03-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Looks very, very nice. What sort of wood did you use?

Chuck Powell
03-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Well, Shae should sleep very well on that beautiful bed! Looks very nice.

I am curious about the wood on the headboard. Looks very interesting.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Excellent project Tom.......first or otherwise!

Vaughn McMillan
03-09-2006, 12:06 AM
Me too...what's the wood in the headboard? Looks very nice.

- Vaughn

Kristian Wild
03-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Is it just my failing eyesight or is that headboard a hula-skirt? Neat idea. I have to admit that it took my wife peering over my shoulder to decipher the exotic hardwood that the headboard was constructed of. :)

Corey Hallagan
03-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Very cool! Nice work on the bed!

Corey

Tom Drake
03-09-2006, 6:03 AM
Very nice work!

Tom Fortier
03-09-2006, 7:10 AM
Thank you all for the nice feedback. The bed is made from Ash. It is a copy of a design from Pottery Barn. As you may have noticed, we are in the process of remodeling our youngest daughters bedroom. My wife discovered that bed in a PB magazine and was set to buy it. When I realized it was $900, I made the statement that, "I could build that thing for less than half....(of course I'll need a new tablesaw)".

I took it as a great excuse to get into woodworking. Something I have long wanted to do, but never did. So I bought a Ridgid 3650 and then of course I needed a jointer, so I bought a Delta X5 6" jointer. I did already have a router and some clamps along with the basics.

Although the bed is riddled with mistakes, I learned much and look forward to completing a matching dresser.

The headboard is actually a bulletin board behind the sliding acryllic doors that are hard to see in the pic. In keeping with the Hawaiin theme of the bedroom makeover, we have currently hung that grass skirt looking stuff on the cork. The neat thing about the bed is the ability to change the look by adding pictures, fabric, etc. The dresser will have a similar acryllic top that will allow for "customization" of the top with pictures or whatever my daughter desires.

The good news is that I have 2 daughters, so I get to build another bed and dresser after this dresser is complete.

Tyler Howell
03-09-2006, 8:03 AM
Sweet Dreems.:cool: