PDA

View Full Version : Misaligned powermatic BS

john mclane
03-08-2006, 9:39 PM
I just but a new 1/2" blade on my new Powermatic band saw. I aligned the blade on the lower tension, rotated the wheel a few times by hand. On the bottom wheel the blade remained in the front but on the rubber. On the top it was dead center. I then tightened the tension with the tension level and the tension knob to about th 3/4 " mark. I rotated by hand and then adusted the blade guards. The blade on the bottom remained on the front. I ran the saw for a short time and the cuts were great. The blade on the bottom was still in the front of the wheel but just on the edge of the rubber.

I know about making the wheels coplanar and when I set the saw up had checked the alignment before I put on the table. When setting up they appeared coplanar and in alignment. I have the Bandsaw Book. The saw has had a total of about 15 min use with the original blade. With the table on now I can't easily recheck this alignment.

Do I need to worry about this? If so do I just take the bottom wheel off and add some washers on the back side?

I do have some wood to try and resaw but do not want to do this until I feel more comfortable the blade is not going to pop off.

Mike Cutler
03-09-2006, 5:30 AM
Personally, I don't think I would worry about unless I was getting bad results. "Don't fix, what's not broken"
I'm assuming that we are talking about a 14" BS. Are the tires on the wheels flat, or crowned?

john mclane
03-09-2006, 7:55 PM
it is a 14 in there is a slight crown but the blade stays in the same spot even after doing several cuts including curves.