PDA

View Full Version : Steamboat Kitchen: Part One

Dev Emch
03-08-2006, 9:06 PM
I have finally gotten around to taking some photos. This kitchen project is a very basic design using simple motifs and light colored woods. The door profiles are straight forward and are based more on your arts and crafts movement then current motifs. This was done to move away from the complex profiles which have dominated the home depot world of late. Raised panels and tombstone doors are cool and look great but when everybody on the block has them and they are the standard fare at home depot and lowes, they tend to loose any uniqueness.

This first series of photographs shows the space into which the kitchen will go. As you can see, the floor is tile and the applicance(s) are modest but top end. That is a 30 inch Wolf range you see in the photo. Not bad for a single guy! I am still abusing a GE electic cook top made in China. Some day I will get me one of these wolf thingies!:D

These cabinets are made from maple and baltic birch. No interior veneer work this time around. This actually made things harder as the veneer functions as a backer board when doing some critical cuts. Without it, you need to change some operations and tape up all critical joints done by routers and shapers, etc.

The standard base box is numbered by the letter B followed by the final face frame width followed by the ID number of the cabinet. For example, the first two to be completed will be B-36-1 and B-36-2. These are different in that they have face frames on both sides. One holds doors and drawers while the other is a solid panel frame visable from the rear. I dont just slap a face panel onto the plywood to dress up an exposed end.

The final photos in this series show the end panels for these two cabinets getting the face frame tenon machined. I use a single cutter and run both sides at the same time in two different operations. I could use two cutters separated by a spacer but in this case, your tenon would most likely not be centered on the vertical sides, etc. of your cabinet boxes. Using a caliper, measure the thickness your box stock. Then substract the thickness of your tenon and divide the remainder by two. I then set my DRO on the shaper to zero after raising the cutter to kiss the bottom of the board going through. Then raise the cutter by the amount you calculated and lock it down. Do a test cut and adjust the process as needed.

In the final photos, you will notice that the edges of these cabinet sides are taped with blue painter's tape. Baltic birch is tricky and this is done to reduce or mitigate blow out thus leaving you with a crisp shoulder for your face frames. Once I have the shaper dialed in for this process, I try to run all the cabinet parts through to guarenttee me a consistent face frame tenon. Later on, you will see the groover operations done on the face frame stock.

These side panels have face frame tenons on both vertical sides. The top edge is mitred for the mitre joint on top. The two horizontal dados are to recieve the floor and the drawer shield. I use drawer shields to help add strength and reduce the ability of mice to work into the kitchen utensils drawers. A feature that marks this work as custom.

The two vertical dados are there to accept the shelf supports. In this case, the owner did not want the row of holes which support the shelf pins. Rather, he opted for the industrial look by going with a brass colored metal shelf support strip. I was not sure about this but after seeing how it looks all nicely tucked into that dado, I have to say it looks mighty nice.

More photos will be posted as they evolve on this project. So stay tuned. Should look pretty nice when done.

<panel and shaper photos will be edited later tonight>

David Fried
03-08-2006, 9:22 PM
Alright Dev! I'm looking forward to following your progress. If that stove gets in the way you can send it out here!

Dave Fried

Dev Emch
03-08-2006, 9:41 PM
Here are a couple of shop photos as promised. The first one shows a typical dual face frame panel taped up and ready for the shaper to put a face frame tenon on the edge. The second photo shows the panel about to meet its destiny with the Beast!

Reg Mitchell
03-08-2006, 9:46 PM
Ah yea Dev......never mind the stove I can cook on an ope fire when you rune out to things to run through that shaper...I know someone that would like to have it......:D

Norman Hitt
03-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Hey, Dev, that's a Mighty Nice Cookstove to put in a Wood shop.;) I KNOW that room is a Wood shop, 'Cause LOOK at ALL the Outlets along that wall, just above Benchtop Height.:D Looks like some fine Detail going into those "Shop Cabinets" too.:rolleyes:

Dev Emch
03-17-2006, 9:05 PM
On my cabinet design, the toe kicks are neatly fared into the design and are done to minimize any exposed grain. So cutting these looks simple but its accurate work.

The first step is to setup the bandsaw to neatly cut a kerf FLUSH with the BOTTOM of the cabinet floor. This cut effectively follows the lower edge of the floor dado back the depth of the toe kick space. I used a 6 tooth 1/4 inch blade to do this which mimimizes or eliminates any blow out to either side of the kerf. This is a straight up and down cut.

Now the fun begins. Each cabinet has a left and right side and the mitres need to face inwards. So all the LEFT sides are stacked up and all the RIGHT sides are stacked into a separate pile. Each side grouping needs its own saw setups.

I begin by setting the table saw to tilt to 45 degrees. Then, measure back from the bandsaw kerf one inch. This is your tablesaw stop mark. DONT EXCEED THIS as the saw blade will kerf into the interior of the cabinet if your not careful. This would be a bad thing as Martha says. I set up my sliding table stops to handle all the LEFT sides and then use a different setup to handle all the RIGHT sides. Make the saw cut and stop at the stop mark.

Then I go to a Festool jigsaw to complete the cut up to the bandsaw line. This is the last inch. Because of the accuracy needed here and because of the extreme tilt, most jigsaws have a problem cutting a straight line. They tend to wonder and smoke a bit. So using the combination of table saw and jigsaw produces a kerf that is dead nuts on for joinery.

Then I flip the side over and complete the last portion of the cut by using the hand powered back saw to trace the bandsaw kerf.

Lastly, I align the biscuit jointer to the bottom of the floor dado and make one biscuit slot for a #10 biscuit.

Once you have done this a few hundred times, the process becomes pretty standard. It produces a wonderful looking cabinet that looks more like a work of art than a functional kitchen box. The Money is is the Devil and the Devil is in the Details.

As I tell others, this is how I do kitchen cabinets. Its my design. If you wish a more simplistic approach, well, the orange box outlets are down the street.

Cheers.....

Brandon Shew
03-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Hey, Dev, that's a Mighty Nice Cookstove to put in a Wood shop.;) I KNOW that room is a Wood shop, 'Cause LOOK at ALL the Outlets along that wall, just above Benchtop Height.:D Looks like some fine Detail going into those "Shop Cabinets" too.:rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing - 12 outlets on 2 walls? Overkill for most kitchens, but who am I to judge.

Dev Emch
03-18-2006, 5:49 AM
I was thinking the same thing - 12 outlets on 2 walls? Overkill for most kitchens, but who am I to judge.

Actually guys, this is code. No kidding! There are also outlets required on both the breakfest bar end and the main island as well.

Brett Baldwin
03-18-2006, 1:30 PM
I wonder if the person who got that code passed has stock in a GFCI outlet factory?

tod evans
03-21-2006, 2:09 PM
dev, why are you mitering toekicks? surely you don`t leave them exposed? i`m just curious...02 tod

Steve Clardy
03-21-2006, 2:33 PM
I'm looking here for cabinets:confused: :confused: :confused:

I miter the ends of exposed toe kick boards.

Steve Clardy
03-21-2006, 2:33 PM
I'm looking here for cabinets:confused: :confused: :confused:

I miter the ends of exposed toe kick boards.