PDA

View Full Version : A New House - Update #5 - Short, With Pix

Andy Hoyt
03-08-2006, 8:08 PM
I left off a couple of days ago (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32496) upon completion of the tower structure. Since then I've made decent but slow progress. Got the remaining crossbraces set and have almost finished the steeple. I tell you, Steeple Chasing is exhausting work. Up and down 36' ladders all day long is rough on the bones.:D
Here's a shot from a nearby traffic helicopter that came in for a look-see. This is looking down into the guts of the steeple.
And here's where we sit as I type. There are two short common rafters on each side of the lower portion of the steeple that I need to set. But I'm holding off until later so I can still "climb inside" to clean things up.

I'll be doing that tomorrow and then get to work on enclosing a portion of this thing with T&G paneling on the roof, and a combination of the T&G and sheetrock on some of the walls. Then SIPs, plank siding, cedar roof shingles, and the two windows. This will be done in a layered cut-away fashion demonstrating the most common (but not only) method to enclose a timberframe. T minus ten days and counting.

Fred LeBail
03-08-2006, 8:31 PM
Andy, you are progressing well. Things are starting to shape up as seen from my vantage point( across the Miramichi). How did you make out with the windows ? Hope all is well.

Karl Laustrup
03-08-2006, 9:15 PM
Andy, it's looking good. 10 more days, eh! Me thinks you had best get cracking there.

Oh, OK a triple scoop black raspberry swirl with small chocolate chips. Then back to the task at hand.

Karl

Andy Hoyt
03-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Thanks guys. Fred, I think I have the window issue resolved. Looks like it will be a combined effort between me, myself, and I. During the glue drying phases today, I built a jig that I hope will allow me to make them. Won't know til I try though. Karl, I'm over the hump and feeling a bit better about it now. The enclosure typically goes fast and this particular project has a very sedately detailed exterior. Here's a few more shots just for fun. What made the steeple a challenge was that I only had photographs to go by. The timberframer who cut the real frame in Miramichi didn't have any cad drawings either. Said he just winged it and gave me license to do likewise.
33491 33492 33493

Vaughn McMillan
03-09-2006, 1:23 AM
Looking good, Andy. And you've been lucky and the weather has cooperated for your little construction project. Up until now I thought Karl was the only person lucky enough to frame a building in the winter up north with no snow.

- Vaughn

Dennis Peacock
03-09-2006, 9:37 AM
Outstanding Andy.....simply wonderful work.