PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk planers for a minute...

Brandon Shew
03-08-2006, 6:30 PM
I am considering the purchase of a "portable" planer. I am looking in the $350 range +/- . The less I spend the better, BUT I do want something decent The Griz G0505 is only $225. Can it compete with the Delta or DeWalt 12 1/2".

I see a lot of refurbed Delta and DeWalts out there. I could stretch a little and go for the DeWalt 13" if it was refurbed, but I don't know if buying refurbed is a good idea or not.

Joe Chritz
03-08-2006, 7:05 PM
Can't tell you about the Dewalt or Grizzly but I have several refurbed items and usually they are fine.

Most are displays, returns and the like that they can't sell as new anymore. At least that is what I was told a few times.

I know I bought a refurbed surround sound several years ago and it didn't appear to have been used at all.

FWIW I like my 13" Ridgid.

Joe

Aaron Kline
03-08-2006, 7:08 PM
Check out palmgren planers. They have their own dust fan and it works! I'm gonna buy the palmgren 12-1/2" planer. Maybe soon Grizzly will come out with a high quality portable planer in the 13" range(HINT HINT HINT Mr. Balolia:D ) Something with a dust fan and a digital readout and cast iron extension tables(HINT).

Cary Falk
03-08-2006, 7:09 PM
I have the Delta 22-580, 13" ,2 speed planer and like it a lot.

Scott Vigder
03-08-2006, 8:23 PM
I bought the DeWalt 13" at Hartville Tool last year at the Annual Big Tool Sale (that somwhow shows up a couple of times a year) for $499 less $30 coupon less another $30 coupon and also got a free mobile base. This unit is a workhorse and is well worth the money. Tha base is rock solid. We plane mostly cherry and oak, and have not had the problem with the knives wearing out that other posters have mentioned.

Scott Vigder
03-08-2006, 8:25 PM
oops sorry failed to mention this is typed on a refurb'd IBM Thinkpad T40. The wife has a refurb'd Thinkpad T23. We like refurb'd (except for Panasonic).

Anthony Anderson
03-08-2006, 8:34 PM
I have had very good luck with reburbished tools. In fact they may be better than new, because they have been gone through a second time more closely. Most carry the same warranty as new. I have a DeWalt 734 (older unit with two knife cutterhead), and it works great. I bought it new and after about two to three weeks of use the pulley worked loose. I would say that if it had been a refurbished, that probably would not have happened. Buy a great planer the first time, and you won't be sorry, Buy a cheap one and you will regret it every time you use it. HTH, Bill

Todd Davidson
03-08-2006, 8:36 PM
Hi Brandon~

One of my buddies has the Griz lunchbox and let's say it's not one of their better machines. I have the Dewalt 12 1/2" (734?) in my shop and the Ridgid that I use in the field. Both are, in my opinion, good machines. I'm soon upgrading to a slightly larger machine for shop use and will be letting one of my other planers go for less than the Griz. If you're around the New England area and want to try 'em out feel free.

In peace, Todd

Jon Farley
03-08-2006, 9:00 PM
I have had the Grizzly planer you are talking about for a couple years. It is the only planer I've ever owned, so I have nothing to compare it to. But overall, I have been very pleased with it, especially the finish it leaves and the fact that I have gotten long lives from the knives. My only gripe was that it did not have any dust collection hookup. I took care of that by modifying the hood to accept a 4" hose. Hooked up to my 2hp DC, it works great.

Norman Hitt
03-08-2006, 9:16 PM
Brandon, the latest issue of One of the ww magazines had a test article on (13 IIRC models of benchtop planers), Sorry, I'm drawing a complete blank tonight as to which one offhand. They were Very specific on which ones NOT to Buy. The DW-735 won the "Editor's choice", with the Delta 22-580 also well liked and second choice in this category. Considering low price vs decent performance, the Rigid won "Best Buy". I think Grizz, Hitachi and one or two others were listed at the very bottom. The article was reasonably informative. (Just wish CRS wasn't in effect tonight and I could remember which mag it was in).:o

Todd Davidson
03-08-2006, 9:38 PM
Hi Norman~

Think it's the April 2006 Workbench that had the review - or at least they have a lunchbox review although I don't remember seeing the Griz. Either FWW or PW had a review not too long ago as well. Seems the Dewalt is always top contender.

In peace, Todd

Norman Hitt
03-09-2006, 12:15 AM
Hi Norman~

Think it's the April 2006 Workbench that had the review - or at least they have a lunchbox review although I don't remember seeing the Griz. Either FWW or PW had a review not too long ago as well. Seems the Dewalt is always top contender.

In peace, Todd

I'm pretty sure the Workbench article was the one I was thinking of, Todd. I could be wrong about the Grizz though, as it's been a while since I read the article, and I could have easily got the "Bottom" contenders screwed up.:(

Vaughn McMillan
03-09-2006, 12:42 AM
I realize you're looking at a bit higher-priced planers Brandon, but for the education of others here, and since the topic of bottom-feeding planers has come up, I thought I'd chime in with my experience with the $200 Delta TP-305 Shopmaster (a.k.a. The Snipemaster).

Actually, it does a decent job of planing; the finish is acceptably smooth. However, no amount of tuning, or fancy-angled infeed/outfeed techniques, or 6' long melamine replacement beds, or spooky incantations under the full moon has yet allowed me to produce a planed board without about 3" of snipe at both ends, 1/16" to 1/8" deep. I've learned to work around it, but with Southern California retail hardwood prices, it's expensive to add 6" of length to accomodate the wasted ends on every board. Also, the dust collection is non-existent. I might try to fabricate a hood of some sort, but by default it just blows the chips and dust all over my shop. I wouldn't recommend this planer to others.

That said, the Snipemaster has done what I really needed it to do -- it's reduced the time to flatten a cutting board, and significantly cut down the amount of belt sanding needed. In that respect, it's paid for itself. I knew going into it that it would be essentially a disposable tool because I'd eventually have to replace it, but I also knew it wouldn't take long for it to pay for itself. It's also allowed me to take advantage of rough lumber that I occasionally find at my local hardwood stores. It is frustrating trying to plane a nice board to finished thickness, but it gets things close, then I finish up with the abrasives.

- Vaughn

Curt Harms
03-09-2006, 2:56 AM
Hey Vaughn

Re a dust hood for a TP305. A friend bought one cause he doesn't use a planer much. He wanted a dust hood but it was continually backordered. We finally got tired of waiting and got a piece of 4" PVC, put a cap on one end, cut a slot 2" high and 1/4" longer than the dust hood, Inserted the dust hood into the 2" slot, attached the pipe to the hood with pipe strap, attached the dust collector to the other end of the pipe and we were in business. Works great. Yeah, it DOES snipe:o

Vaughn McMillan
03-09-2006, 4:42 AM
Thanks for the tip, Curt. I hadn't thought of that, but it sounds cheap and effective. My kind of shop project. ;)

- Vaughn

Jon Farley
03-09-2006, 8:25 AM
Oh yeah, Vaughn's post about his Delta reminded me that my Griz also leaves some pretty bad snipe. I've gotten so accustomed to adding 6" to all my measurements that I forgot about the snipe issue. Prices on wood aren't so bad around me, so It's not that big of a cost factor.

Brandon Shew
03-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the heads up guys. I'll take a closer look at the DeWalt and Deltas. Although the DeWalt knife issue has come up, I like the thought of more CPI on their 3 bladed models. I was thinking that might help reduce the potential for snipe a little bit.

Ron Wright
03-09-2006, 2:02 PM
I have the Dewalt 13 inch I purchased a couple of years ago. It is really a solid planer. Blade changing is a snap. There is a T hex driver built in, and it fits every fitting except three thumb screw heads. Use the T hex to open the case and change the blades. The T hex driver has magnets built into the head to remove the blades. The blades are indexed so there is no fuss to replace. The Dewalt also has a powered exaust that works well with or without a DC. I would suggest the optional extension tables if you get the Dewalt.