PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Jorgensen cabinet master clamps

Josh Goldsmith
03-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Well thanks to my father-in-law i recently recieved 4- 24" and 2 -36" jorgensen cabinet master clamps. I got to use them last night and man what a difference! I feel like i can squish the wood. All of my other clamps are Harbor Frieght special. So you can imagine the upgrade. I do have one question for all you. I have seen pics of fellow woodworking shops and on a wall is like 20-30 bessy or jorgensen clamps. How do you all afford to buy them? We bought 6 clamps and $227 later i left the store. I feel like i need an additional 8 more clamps at least and I don't know if i can afford 8 more. Just curious. Thanks Josh

Kirk (KC) Constable
03-08-2006, 11:41 AM
You just pick a couple up here and there and try to catch the sales. If I don't have enough of the CMs, I'll use them on the bottom of a panel, and pipe clamps on top. With the CMs or Besseys, I'm really not sure you need any on top...but old habits die hard.

KC

Josh Goldsmith
03-08-2006, 11:47 AM
I forgot to ask. Is there any different between Bessy's and the cabinet masters? Thanks

Brad Noble
03-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Yeah, one's red and the other one is orange. Just kidding. I only own a couple of Jorgys and there not the CM's. I have a few Besseys though. I'm sure their both equal but I am just as sure that someone else will respond with a better comparison soon.

Brad

Brian Parker
03-08-2006, 12:20 PM
I got my first batch of Bessy Cabinet clamps (K bodys) when the Home Deopts were clearing them out a year or two ago. I recently added to them with the Amazon free 24" clamp sale and stacked it on with another coupon code. I think that I got 2-50's a 31 and my free 24 for about 80 bucks delivered. I then turned to a friend and had him order me the same with his account...not a bad haul.

Bessy vs Jorgenson... well you will get all types of responses here about that one. I like my Bessy's but I have never tried the Jorgensons, the Bessys have exactly what I need and when on sale are a good price for a great clamp so I feel no need to change.

Now the regular clamps ie bessy tradesman vs the jorgenson series... I'll take the jorgensons any day. I like the feel of them and the features alot better.

I don't buy anything at full price when it comes to the tools, make a want list and then keep an eye on sales and sooner or later you will have a nice collection.

Anthony Anderson
03-08-2006, 12:21 PM
It really comes down to personal preference. Besseys used to not have the little foot to lift the clamp off the workbench. But when CM came out with the little foot, then Bessey followed suit. I looked at both clamps before purchasing the Besseys, and it really came down to cost as both clamps are quality tools. I took advantage of the Amazon buy 2 get one free. Having my family order the clamps for me. And then bought some here and there, as KC stated, where I could find them on sale and as budget allowed. Just take your time and build the clamp collection as you can afford them. And keep in mind that everyone's budget is different, there are some that cannot afford the $228. Congrats on the clamps, and enjoy them. BTW, you have a pretty good father-in-law. Regards, Bill

Frank Pellow
03-08-2006, 9:09 PM
Well thanks to my father-in-law i recently recieved 4- 24" and 2 -36" jorgensen cabinet master clamps. I got to use them last night and man what a difference! I feel like i can squish the wood. All of my other clamps are Harbor Frieght special. So you can imagine the upgrade. I do have one question for all you. I have seen pics of fellow woodworking shops and on a wall is like 20-30 bessy or jorgensen clamps. How do you all afford to buy them? We bought 6 clamps and $227 later i left the store. I feel like i need an additional 8 more clamps at least and I don't know if i can afford 8 more. Just curious. Thanks Josh
If you watch and wait, you can find those or similar clamps on sale. I have watched and waited long enough to acquire 18 such clamps. They are great aren't they?

Todd Davidson
03-08-2006, 9:28 PM
Hi Josh~

Frank's right, wait for one of the numerous sales. Home Depot had a 25% off all hand tools - including clamps - sale. Amazon currently has the Bessey "Cabinet Door" set on sale for $99 (plus another 10% off if you buy today or tomorrow). Previous to that they had another promo for a free K-body. Sooner or later funds and a sale will coincide. One nice thing about the Jorgies, as opposed to the K-bodies, is that it is much easier to clean glue spills off the bars of the Jorgies (the ridges of the K-bodies were a PITA). Hopefully you'll never have the accident that leads to such cleanings :rolleyes: .

In peace, Todd

Brian Parker
03-08-2006, 10:22 PM
Todd,

I have wondered how is the best way to go about removing glue from the bessy bars. I let my dad use a few and he got glue on a few spots.

Allen Bookout
03-08-2006, 11:28 PM
I have both brands and think that the Jorgensen Cabinet Masters are a better clamp but I think that I am probably in the minority here at Sawmill Creek from what I have seen during other discussions. The problem is that the Jorgensens are usually more expensive than the Besseys but worth a bit more to me. I guess that the best thing to do is go look at the Besseys and compare them yourself.

You are right about the cost---might even call it atrocious. Just like most of the ones responding here I purchased mine when they were on sale at different times and that is why I ended up with both brands. I suspect that in the future when I need more, price (up to a point) will be the driving factor even though I prefer one over the other.

As Todd was saying watch for the Home Depot sales. I bought a bunch of Jorgensen heavy duty bar clamps when HD had their 25% off sale and it saved a good bit on those. Really like them also.

Sometimes Woodcraft has some good internet monthly deals on clamps. Got a few from them when they had some discounted with free shipping. The free shipping and no tax saves also.

You can save a bunch, sometimes 30 to 40%, if you do not need them right away so that you can wait for sales and spend the time in between trying to recover. Over a period of time they will accumulate. Pipe clamps are an option but they are not exactly cheap either by the time that you add the pipe to a quality unit.

Anyway-------WELCOME TO THE MONEY PIT! Allen

Josh Goldsmith
03-09-2006, 11:30 AM
I have been doing some looking for cheaper places to buy the CM's and so far i found Lee Valley is $3-4 cheaper than anyone else. Yesterday i went down to a local tool outlet to look at the bessy's vrs the CM's. The Bessy's were nice but i really thought the CM's are a little nicer. It seemed like the jaws were a little bigger, the handle can thread a little more than bessy, also i liked how the CM's had metal stubs out the side kind of like sliders protection, and finally i liked the orange. Nothing against Bessy's because they are very nice also, I am just sold of the CM's. I think i might watch homedepot for those sales and save up my money so when they do have a big sale it will be like christmas!:D

Since the cost of them compared to the sizes are only a few dollars different is it worth buying 12" and 18". You can always use the 24" for all of what the 12 and 18 will do. Now i do use my cheap wood clamps 12" and 18" like crazy but mostly for holding down wood while I sand and little things. Thanks Josh

Frank Pellow
03-09-2006, 11:44 AM
For me, it is worth buying the 12" clamps. I have four 12" and eight 24" Besseys, and for many applications, it is simply easier to use the 12" clamps.

By the way, you should also be considering the Gross Stabil K-body type clamps. I would buy whichever of the three types I could find on sale. I would not buy any of them at the regualr price.

Craig Feuerzeig
03-09-2006, 12:51 PM
How's about them Mets?:D

Steve Clardy
03-09-2006, 1:00 PM
Clamps. I could probably make a huge dent in the national debt if I had all the money back I've spent on clamps over the years.:rolleyes: ;) :D