PDA

View Full Version : Irion Lumber

Mark Singer
03-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Does anyone bu from Irion Lumber? There was just a feature article in woodshop news on them....looks like very good material

http://irionlumber.com/

lou sansone
03-08-2006, 11:43 AM
I have not directly, but did buy about 6000 lbs of curly maple from their supplier and it was excellent wood. From what I know of them they have some of the best wood around.

lou

Dave Anderson NH
03-08-2006, 2:49 PM
I'm sure Roger Myers will reply to this one Mark. Irion is about his favorite wood supplier and he looks for excuses to make trips to the PA Sylvania plant nearby just so he can stop and buy some more lumber. They are outstanding quality suppliers.

Mark Carlson
03-08-2006, 3:00 PM
I wonder what the cost of shopping is from PA to CA on 200bf? They have a 200bf minimum order on shipping.

Roger Myers
03-08-2006, 3:32 PM
I'm sure Roger Myers will reply to this one Mark. Irion is about his favorite wood supplier and he looks for excuses to make trips to the PA Sylvania plant nearby just so he can stop and buy some more lumber. They are outstanding quality suppliers.

Dave's right...I'll jump on this one... Irion Lumber is an outstanding choice if you are looking for cherry, figured maple, and mahog.
He used to run a high end period furniture shop (profiled in earlier issue of FWW a few years ago) but sold the shop to employees and opened the lumber yard in Wellsboro PA. I would not hesitate a bit to buy from him sight unseen, although Sylvania does have a plant in town, as well as other plants nearby :)
His background in period furniture makes him ideal if you were to call and say, I'm building a high chest and am looking for the right wood...
He has some exceptional wide stock (can you say 40" wide cherry) and a lot of matched/flitch, book matched, etc. cut stock....

And, Lou is a real nice guy! 200bf minimum to ship (no problem for you Mark:) ) and I've seen how he palletizes and prepares the wood for shipping... no worries there either.

There are other good PA sources that I have bought from as well, but if I'm looking for something special in those three species, Irion would be my first stop.

Roger

Jim Becker
03-08-2006, 7:33 PM
I haven't but would if I needed what he specialized in. He has a very good reputation. The recent article isn't the first, either...

tod evans
03-12-2006, 11:13 AM
mark, 10 or 12 years ago i ordered some cherry from irion and it was first rate. never heard a bad word about them.....02 tod

Tom Ruflin
03-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Mark,

I went to Irion lumber about 1 1/2 years ago and left with $900 worth of maple and cherry (which I'm finally getting around to using). The people there were very nice, patient and knowledgable. I worked with Myron. He took me around the place then we talked about the projects I had in mind. I ended up buying 1/2 of a figured maple tree cut in 5/4 boards and some very nice cherry. They specialize in keeping boards from the same tree together so you can book match or at least have the same color/grain. I highly recommend them.