PDA

View Full Version : Fish Bonker Story

Michael Stafford
03-08-2006, 9:48 AM
This thread may have to be relocated so Mr. Moderator do so if you wish. It is turning related however as will become apparent.

Over 25 years ago when I lived in Chesapeake, Virginia my best friend worked for Nissan Corporation in a parts distribution center. He would receive part in wooden crates made from some of the most unusual looking woods. On occasion he would take apart some of the crates and bring the wood home for me. Of particular interest were these 3X3 corner posts that were used in large crates that held replacement fenders etc. This wood was alway a deep red color and just as hard as nails. Looking back on it I think it may have been ipe.

He and I did a lot of off shore fishing together for King Mackerel, tuna, dolphin, etc. and we had a genuine need for a "fish bonker". So he suggested that I turn one on the old Shopsmith I had. The guidelines for design was that the handle end had to fit in the rod holder on the side of the console. So we picked out the hardest, heaviest piece of this wood we had and I turned a nice "bonker". It worked like a dream. Most fish were subdued with one quick swing.

On one particular fishing trip we took a work friend of mine. He was very tall, about 6' 7" and skinny as a rail. He always wanted to catch a King Mackerel so we agreed to take him.

The way it worked on my buddy's boat was the last person to catch a fish had to drive while we were trolling. The person who was next to fish had to bring in the caught fish, i.e. handle the leader and subdue the fish.

So my fishing buddy catches this nice 21 pound King and I haul it into the boat. I am in the process of trying to subdue the fish and the tall guy is at the console looking over my shoulder. I did not know he was that close behind me. I guess you know what happened next. On my backswing I hit him right between the eyes, splitting his forehead wide open and knocking him out cold. He almost fell out of the boat but my buddy caught him. So here we are 20 miles out in the ocean with this unconscious tall skinny guy, a 20 pound king flopping and snapping all over the boat. The King was bleeding from the gills so it was slinging blood everywhere, the guy who I hit was bleeding like a stuck hog, the boat is on auto pilot and we have three more rods in the water....What a day!

As it turned out the tall guy was not hurt that badly. We just bandaged him up and fished the rest of the day. He said he was okay and caught several more fish before we went in. Alls well that ends well.

So every time I hear about someone turning a fish bonker I just have to laugh. Been there done that!!!!!:D

Mike Ramsey
03-08-2006, 9:51 AM
Great story Big Mike, I can't help but laugh at that poor guys misfortune
as I picture you doing the 3 stooges on him! :D :)

Keith Burns
03-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Wonderful story Big Mike ! When I read your stories it's like a movie playing in my mind:) :)

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Great story Mike. It's funny.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Nice story Big Mike! I've fished for steelhead and unless you've had a big fish flopping around in a boat or had one get away on the bank you can't appreciate the need for a "fish bonker"!

Mark Cothren
03-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Note to self: No fishing with Big Mike... at least not without a football helmet on...

John Hart
03-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Soooo...you don't like people looking over your shoulder. Ok...I got it.;)

Great Story Big Mike!!

Paul Douglass
03-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Great story, but tell the truth, it didn't matter how bad the guy was hurt, you weren't going to take him in until the fish'n was done! Is this guy still a friend! He probably tells this story all the time.

Lee DeRaud
03-08-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm having flashbacks to the "Boston Legal" episode where the William Shatner character goes salmon fishing...with a shotgun.

John Hart
03-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Great story, but tell the truth, it didn't matter how bad the guy was hurt, you weren't going to take him in until the fish'n was done!....

That's better than throwing him back! You're letting your friend know in a subtle way...that he is a Keeper!!!;)

Michael Stafford
03-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Great story, but tell the truth, it didn't matter how bad the guy was hurt, you weren't going to take him in until the fish'n was done! Is this guy still a friend! He probably tells this story all the time.

Paul, I knew there was something I liked about you. You understand the situation perfectly. When we were catching fish there was no way we were taking him back to shore. Shoot, if he dies, he dies....You gotta catch fish while they are biting....:D

And yes, my main fishing buddy is one of my dearest friends. The tall skinny friend unfortunately passed away a few years ago but we shared many a laugh over that incident. He was so proud of the fish he caught that day that the bonking incident was only an afterthought to the story.

John Miliunas
03-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Big Mike, you now owe me a bottle of Windex!!! :mad: Oh, never mind...This is an LCD panel and Windex won't work on it too well! :mad:

You sir have a way with words! I'm still wiping the tears off my eyes!:D :D No, you "mentioned" a bonker spun up on a lathe, so this piece is staying right here!!! :) If the rest of the Creekers want to share in the fun, they're gonna' have to come UP to the Turners Forum!!! :D :cool:

Andy Hoyt
03-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Sorry to hear that the Tall Skinny Guy went gills up; but I'd like to know the cause of death. Perhaps it was from ADBD?

Advanced Delayed Bonkering Disorder.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Jeeez Andy.....why don't you just accuse Mike of killing the guy?:eek: :D

Jim Ketron
03-08-2006, 3:49 PM
Leave it to Mike:D Yea Im with you Mark:D
Good story Mike!

Paul Douglass
03-08-2006, 7:36 PM
A-D-B-D That is great! Thanks Andy

Curt Fuller
03-08-2006, 9:32 PM
Advanced Delayed Bonkering Disorder.

A very slow and painful way to go.

Great story Big Mike! Maybe it would be a good idea to invent some sort of back swing limiting device (bsld) as a supplement to the Chesapeake Mackeral Bonker (CMB).

Corey Hallagan
03-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Great story Big Mike! Thanks for sharing!

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
03-08-2006, 11:18 PM
Thanks for that story Mike... funny.

It reminds me of a couple... one with the follow through with a bat and someone's teeth, and another with the back swing of a weed slinger landing on top of my head. Thanks for the memories.

Ernie