PDA

View Full Version : INformation overload. What, Where and how?

Ed Lang
03-08-2006, 8:30 AM
I have been keeping notes and reading so much about what materials are available for doing signs. There seems to be no end to resources! But, with so much information, one could (I have) get confused as to what to use for what.

Is there a sample pack available anywhere of materials to choose from?

I would love to have this so I can touch and feel the materials.

Wood I have so it is the other stuff I am interested in but someone else might also like to know about wood as well.

Maybe I am the only one who has information overload, if so, just let this post fade away.

Joe Pelonio
03-08-2006, 10:37 AM
You mean for laser? Try http://www.laserbits.com/ for sample kits and starter kits.

Ed Lang
03-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Joe,

That is a GREAT place to start for the laser folks!

Now, lets here about the CNC Router folks. We have materials to cut and bits to buy for the CNC group.

More laser material too.

Keith Outten
03-08-2006, 8:35 PM
Ed,

I have asked and received free laser engraving sample packs from JDS and Johnsons Plastics. For CNC routing I don't know of any resource yet so I have requested the usual catalogs from the major router bit companies and have been cruising the Net looking for information about sign materials. There were a few material reps at the ShopBot Jamboree last April that provided some free samples and lots of hand-outs, I expect there will be more at the next Jamboree. The ShopBot Forum has proven to be a valuable resource but I have to admit that I am frequently lost, many of the experienced sign makers leave out the minor details in their messages that a novice needs to know.

Lately I have spent my time learning to get the most from the materials I have at hand. You know that I normally try to stay off the beaten path :)

I can feel your pain concerning information overload. I just added a vinyl cutter to my shop and have spent the last week trying to figure out what materials to purchase just to get started. I am finding some substrate materials that may very well be usefull for both engraving and routing though. More later on this subject when I have the chance to take a closer look.