PDA

View Full Version : More of a building question

Nick Clayton
03-08-2006, 7:38 AM
Could anyone instruct me on how to use a framing square to make the birdsmouth cut and rafter to beam angle? I'm building(perhaps over building) a 5' x 5' shed to house some little Bantams for my wife. I wanted the roof to have an overhang which is why I'm using this method. Thank you in advance for any help you folks can provide.

Cheers,
Nick

Rob Will
03-08-2006, 8:37 AM
Nick,
You can indeed use the marks on a square to calculate the birdsmouth but perhaps the best method would be to establish your roof pitch and then use a rafter to make a pattern.

Cut the upper end to the proper angle and position this one rafter about 1-1/2" higher than where it will end up on both ends. If you can lay this temporary rafter across your beam then simply use a block of wood on top of the beam to draw a horizontal line for the birdsmouth.

Once you get this one rafter cut, use it as a pattern for all the others.
Make sure your outer wall is plumb before you start.

Rob

Mark Singer
03-08-2006, 9:00 AM
Rob gave you the best advice. Snap it out on the floor to full scale and lay the first rafter on the drawing on the floor.....that becomes your template rafter

Nick Clayton
03-08-2006, 9:38 AM
Rob and Mark,

Thanks for the advice, I knew I could count on the forum! As always I over think and thus over complicate most evrything.

Cheers,
Nick

Wes Bischel
03-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Nick,
Looks like you got the info you needed. But when I first read your note, I thought "Gee, and I was just in Butler, PA where they were made" - Bantams that is. Of course I then realized, though they were small cars, a 5' square shed wouldn't quite be big enough.:rolleyes: :eek: Yep, I'm a city boy.:D

Oh, and FWIW, I always prefab trusses for the shed in the shop with a fixture. I get better results there, than on-site.

Wes

lou sansone
03-08-2006, 11:45 AM
I have done the same "snapping on the floor" and that has been fine for me

lou

Bill Lewis
03-08-2006, 12:39 PM
I've laid them out in CAD, then worked it out on the floor, and also added blocking to the floor to build pre-fab trusses.