PDA

View Full Version : Spatulas

Curt Fuller
03-07-2006, 10:17 PM
A couple more spatulas. Both are Alder with roasted walnut oil rubbed on them. The top one is pretty thin at the business end. I haven't tried it yet but I think it will turn an over easy egg. The bottom one looks like a short handled canoe paddle. Both have wire burned rings. The top has two sizes of wire, .011 guitar string and heavy tie wire. Both are 12" by 3.5". Side view shows how they're cut on the bandsaw then sanded to finished shape on a belt sander.

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Curt I would really like to see those pictures. The only problem is the pictures aren't there. It says SMC and below that it says images linked without permission.

Corey Hallagan
03-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Nice work, the wire burn marks really add to them. Great stuff!

Corey

Pat Salter
03-07-2006, 10:38 PM
wow, those are nice paint stirrers! :D well, they may not be paint stirrers, but they are nice

Ernie Nyvall
03-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Well.... looks like I got another project to do. Really cool Curt.

Ernie

Jim Ketron
03-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Nice Job On them Curt!
I think those would be great sellers at shows!

John Hart
03-08-2006, 6:37 AM
Just great Curt! I'm really developing an avid interest to do this kind of thing. Your work is pushing me the right direction. Very nice!:)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-08-2006, 8:09 AM
Curt, I know SWMBO would like a few of those.... :D

How do you make them?

Is this a "Spindle"....?

Cheers!

Mike Ramsey
03-08-2006, 9:37 AM
Great job on the spatulas Curt! Been wanting to do (try)some
of those myself...

Andy Hoyt
03-08-2006, 9:49 AM
Curt - those look great.

Friendly critique --- Now, I know even less about cooking than turning, and at first blush twelve inches seemed more than long enough for the items, but looking at the shot with your hand in it, I'm fearful that in order to flap some jacks or hoist the scrambles one would end up with an awkward hand location / rim of sauce pan / fingers in the lard condition. Longer handles seem to be in order, or itty bitty frying pans.

Mark Cothren
03-08-2006, 11:17 AM
That's more nice work, Curt!

Thanks for the pictures!

David Fried
03-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Is this a "Spindle"....?

Cheers!

Technically, it's a salmon slapper! But yes, it falls into the spindle catagory.

I noticed my woodware is looking a bit shabby. I had thought I would try touching it up with the sander but maybe I should start from scratch. Yours look a lot better than the store bought things I have!

Thanks.

Dave Fried

Curt Fuller
03-08-2006, 9:45 PM
Curt - those look great.

Friendly critique --- Now, I know even less about cooking than turning, and at first blush twelve inches seemed more than long enough for the items, but looking at the shot with your hand in it, I'm fearful that in order to flap some jacks or hoist the scrambles one would end up with an awkward hand location / rim of sauce pan / fingers in the lard condition. Longer handles seem to be in order, or itty bitty frying pans.

Excellent point Mr. Hoyt! I've got some design modification work to do for sure. I also think I'll try and throw a curve into the blade area to make it easier to get under grub.

Yes Stu, the handle part is a spindle. The wood starts out as a piece of 4/4 stock, a little over an inch wide on one end and 3 or 4 inches at the other end. You need to be a little careful when you get out on the paddle end. It's like sticking your tool into a fan. You want to ease it in until it barely starts hitting wood and take very light cuts. But most of the shaping of the paddle is with a bandsaw and sander.