PDA

View Full Version : Plywood cut program

Dave Lehnert
03-07-2006, 8:30 PM
What program do you use? I found Cutlist and going to try it out.
Anyone know of a FREE program on the web to use? Not just free to try

Tom Peterson
03-07-2006, 9:28 PM
I bought the software when I launched into my kitchen remodel. Cutlist has various entry points based on what you want to do with it. I have used it for plywood and laminate (it will calculate the trim allowance) and you can enter in your leftover pieces to use them in the optimization. I import information from excel and it generates the part list. Very simple to use. I bought the silver edition and do not regret it one bit. Saving one piece of plywood pays for itself. Search the forum for cutlist and you will find many advocates.

Jim Becker
03-07-2006, 11:35 PM
I use Cutlist Plus Silver and it saved me a lot of money on my kitchen project a few years ago.

Bill Fields
03-08-2006, 12:27 AM
How to find website for "CutList"--and how much?

Thanks

Bill

Frank Pellow
03-08-2006, 4:33 AM
Bill, here is a link: http://cutlistplus.com

The silver version that Jim mentions is currently $78. Other versions are priced at $0(free), $30, $125, and $200.

By the way, the program handles a lot more than plywood.

Matt Tawes
03-08-2006, 10:27 AM
I use Cutlist plus silver edition for all my jobs and build component lists of every part not just sheet goods and other items such as hardware as well. Works great and very, very useful and worth the money.
For small jobs and just figuring sheet layout just use the free download version.

Lee Schierer
03-08-2006, 12:30 PM
I've been pleased with the results of Sheet Layout Version 8 Sheet Layout (http://www.sheetlayout.com/)

The program lets you do sheet material as well as lineal materials The layouts are easy to work with. They have a functuonal free version and a staggered price structure depending upon your needs.

Luther Oswalt
03-08-2006, 12:55 PM
I just looked at Cut List for the first time in several years. I must admit the first time I saw it years ago I was not very impressed. However, looking at it now and scanning the manual it is very nice and appears to be much improved and the manual is well written. I don't remember them having much guidance on it's use the first time I saw it.
Leo

Joe Chritz
03-08-2006, 1:20 PM
I was looking at a panel door program listed in one of the wood publications. It seemed nice although it is a slide show demo and not a trial demo.

Anyone able to tell me if cutlist will do door calculations?

I have always done any design with paper and pencil and am looking forwarrd to jumping into the computer age.

Thanks

Joe

Matt Tawes
03-08-2006, 3:41 PM
Hey Joe,

If you mean will Cutlist spit out the materials cutlist and bd. ft. needed by just punching in the cabinet opening dimensions then no.

For cutlist you will have to build the parts list i.e. stiles, rails, panels dimensions and then it will tell you and keep track of bd. feet needed.

You might like Cabniet Cruncher for that which does cabinets, doors, and drawers. The link is: http://www.cabinetcruncher.com/

Dennis Peacock
03-08-2006, 3:48 PM
I use CutList Gold. Excellent program and great support and software. I highly recommed it.:D

Alden Miller
03-08-2006, 6:06 PM
Joe, do a google search for Alden Miller and Door Manager... Don't worry about the $5.00 shareware fee. Thousands of people have downloaded it, only two have paid. I believe that W5 still hosts it on their website.

As for a cutlist program, I have the benefit of a programming background. I thought it would be an interesting exercise to write one and I did. It's not available for people to use because I am constantly playing with it and tweaking it.

I started it quite a few years ago when I used to make built-ins for my brother (the contractor). I'd spend the evening coming up with a cut list and drawing it out on graph paper. Then he'd change the design and I had to start all over...

What I have is a program tailored to building base cabinets and book cases. I enter in the specs for the cabinet and it tells me how much wood I need. It'll draw the cut diagram in turbocad so I can print it out and take it to the shop. It'll also create labels (return address size) so I can mark all the pieces I cut.

I could go on and on (it's a pet project). The Door Manager software is an offshoot of this program. I made that after I screwed up the calculations for some mitered sticking doors when I was in the shop. Too many steps to the calculation for the rails and I left one piece out...

-Alden

Joe Chritz
03-08-2006, 6:37 PM
Thanks guys..

I am at work and I will download the programs and try them out tonight when I get home. Wouldn't want the computer lady on my case (again) for downloading some simple program.

Turns out I have a demo of cutlist and while I have only started playing with it I think it will be very nice.

Joe