PDA

View Full Version : Picture trial from a computer illiterate person

Ed Frie
03-07-2006, 7:39 PM
As some of you may have read, I am a bit of a moron sometimes when it comes to computers. I am going to try to upload a trial pic to see if I have it figured out...

Ed Frie
03-07-2006, 7:41 PM
Okay, so that didn't work. I don't have more time tonight so I will try again later.

Does anyone know why it told me I didn't have permission to put a pic here. Do I need a secret handshake or something?

Jim O'Dell
03-07-2006, 7:43 PM
I just read your note on the off topic forum. I also send my belated welcome to the Creek!
Looks like you got the picture thing down. Good looking table. The more I see the Mission style of furniture, the more I like it. Good Job!! Jim.

Steve Clardy
03-07-2006, 8:01 PM
It worked. I see it.
Welcome Ed!

Don Baer
03-07-2006, 8:09 PM
Ed,
Nice table and welcoe to the creek.

Bruce Page
03-07-2006, 8:12 PM
Now this is weird. I don't see a table, I see a thumbnail of the sawmill Creek logo. :confused: :confused: :confused:
I saw the same thing a few minuets ago in another post.

Welcome to SMC!

Dave Richards
03-07-2006, 9:25 PM
Looks good to me. Nice table, Ed. I like the grain in the top.

Bill Fields
03-08-2006, 12:31 AM
ED--keep posting--more info on that terrific Mission table, please.

You will get a lot from fellow Creekers in the good advice department.

Welcome!

Bill

Scott Donley
03-08-2006, 2:55 AM
Now this is weird. I don't see a table, I see a thumbnail of the sawmill Creek logo. :confused: :confused: :confused:
I saw the same thing a few minuets ago in another post.

Welcome to SMC!You are not alone Bruce. All the pics are showing up as the SMC logo fo me also.

Dick Bringhurst
03-08-2006, 5:47 AM
Ed, It worked for me. That's a nice looking table. Dick B.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-08-2006, 6:20 AM
Nice table, is that book-matched?

Very nice, I too like the simple lines of the Mission stuff.

Great work!!

Cheers!

tod evans
03-08-2006, 7:30 AM
from one computer moron to another, ya done good! and nice looking table....02 tod

Ed Frie
03-08-2006, 8:01 AM
Thanks for all the kind words about the table.

It's funny, my computer at home, from which I uploaded the pic, shows the SMC logo with a note about having no permission to post pics, but this morning at work my computer shows a pic of the table.

Beats me...

I had some left over cherry, so I had to put up with the knots on the top, but I did like the rest of the grain. The nice thing about mission style furniture is that it is all straight lines. It does look kind of book matched but I am not that clever.

I made two of these tables, one with knots that I covered up with strips of inlay. I let my son and his wife (our new-found daughter that we never had, who is pregnant by the way (our first grandchild in the making)) choose which they wanted. They liked the inlay so we kept this one. I didn't stain it, just put Danish oil on and put it in the sun for a few hours. Turned out nicer than I had hoped.

Anyway, thanks. I will probably try to get more pics up and running this weekend.

John Miliunas
03-08-2006, 9:37 AM
Well, your upload worked just fine and the table is real fine!!! :) Personally, I got tired of trying to cut around each and every knot one encounters. In so doing, I found a couple things: For one, branches on a tree exist and that's where knots come from. So why not celebrate the fact that such or such flavor of tree actually had branches??? :D Secondly, if the knot doesn't take away from the structural integrity of the piece, I see no problem(s) in using it. Lastly, I find that the grain surrounding the knots is most often the most interesting part of the wood. Again, why not celebrate that fact??? :D Nice job, Ed! :) :cool:

Dave Harker
03-08-2006, 9:59 AM
Hi Ed,

I sat on the couch right next to this table at our recent neighborhood association meeting. I had no idea you did woodworking (or that you posted here) - now I know why you built that extra 2-car garage! Small world.

I noticed that the table was gorgeous, but had no idea you made it - I love the finish, and the cherry is beautiful.

Ed Frie
03-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Dave,

It is truly a small world. You are the second person in two days that I know and have "re-met" on the SMC forum. The other guy works with me at Mayo.

Obviously I didn't spend enough time talking with you at the meeting. We should get together and admire each other's stuff.

Thanks for the kind word about the table. I am really just a hack. Like someone said, I just cut up good wood and glue it back together again.

Dave Harker
03-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Ed, just sent you a private message.

Ron Blaise
03-08-2006, 1:00 PM
Looks fine to me, very nice table there too.

Pete Harbin
03-08-2006, 3:13 PM
Beautiful work Ed!

Pete

Ed Frie
03-08-2006, 7:57 PM
Here is another attempt at posting a few pictures. As you can see I have done a bit of mission style work.

john whittaker
03-08-2006, 9:34 PM
Ed...Welcome to SMC and let me say...you have already mastered the art of the "hidden gloat". Your mission work is great...but a pregnant daughter-in-law??? Very very cool. Congratulations and please post pics of the new grandchild.