PDA

View Full Version : whats a good cell phone?

tod evans
03-07-2006, 6:48 PM
i average about 4-7 months out of one `cause i carry it in my hip pocket, sit on it,drop it, and expect it to live in a shop enviornment.....anybody know of an idiot-proof phone that`s small enough to sit on? my current dead soldier is a sony ericsson but i`ve killed nokias just as fast...tod

Robert Mickley
03-07-2006, 6:54 PM
The cheapest Nokia you can buy, the current one is going on 2 years old, faceplate is scratched and cracked, got left in the woods for 2 days this winter, its been burried in the sawdust pile while sawing logs and dropped, kicked, carried by the dogs who knows what else. its a 3588i

Michael Ballent
03-07-2006, 6:56 PM
Nextel makes Mil Spec cell phone that protect against drops, and dust invading the phone, as well as weather sealed.. :D I have had a Nextel i1000 Plus for about 4 years now and it has been dropped, and gone down a flight of stairs and still has the original battery. I wear mine on a clip on my belt.
They are built like tanks (look like them too ) and can take a beating :) Down side is that you will not be able to use them in any other network except for Nextel, so you are tied to Sprint/Nextel. If you look at the contractors out there, most are using Nextel phones (at least in my neck of the woods).

i average about 4-7 months out of one `cause i carry it in my hip pocket, sit on it,drop it, and expect it to live in a shop enviornment.....anybody know of an idiot-proof phone that`s small enough to sit on? my current dead soldier is a sony ericsson but i`ve killed nokias just as fast...tod

tod evans
03-07-2006, 7:01 PM
we`re locked in with at&t for now, so the one you mention michael isn`t an option..but thanks for the heads up. tod

Steve Ash
03-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Tod,
I got a Nextel about 5 years ago. I don't remember model #'s but it was not a flip style but rather a sturdy one (rubber coated, black and yellow Dewalt looking thing.)that I put through a lot of abuse, it's fallen off roofs, fell into snow and water, get's thrown in my tool pouch with nails and screws. I have all my subcontractors on the 2 way part of it and for that reason is why I have stuck with Nextel. I abused that phone and currently have another one that is also rubber coated to withstand all the abuse I put it through.

I have threatened to my wife to get rid of it, but it is so handy to get ahold of a subcontractor at any time and it doesn't cost me anything to 2 way.

Jim Becker
03-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Tod, I use a Motorola V551 (Cingular/AT&T) and it's a pretty sturdy phone. I always carry it in a pocket. A good part of the case is metal.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-08-2006, 12:17 AM
As I'm over here in Japan, the phones are not the same, so I can't really recommend one, but I can help you on keeping it living a bit longer.

Take it off your hip, put it on a string around your neck, and get some shirts with a pocket in front, put the phone in your shirt pocket, attached to the string, if you need the phone, just pull the string an out it comes. My "String" is one of those flat, about 1/2" wide soft webbing things that they use for ID cards and such.

Since I did this, my phones last the two years I need to upgrade to the next handset with out paying through the nose. I used to bust four phones a year, as the places I do deliveries for the L shop are often narrow tight places (and I'm not) and I would bash the phone on my hip into stuff all--the--time

I've seen phones here that are the "G" Shock brand, you know,, like the wrist watches. They are rated for a 10' drop on to concrete, and for total immersion in water for 30 minutes, but I don't know if they sell them over there.
Watch, stopwatch, compas, GPS, navi, camera, video, PDA.... etc.

Might just be my next phone....

http://www.chiyoda-denso.com/image_au/au_gzonetyper.jpg

Comes in Red too.

Cheers!

Bill Lewis
03-08-2006, 5:43 AM
Tod, the fact that you admitted that you own a cell phone reduces your hillbilly status quite a bit.

The fact that you destroy them periodically does redeem yourself, somewhat, not completely mind you.

03-08-2006, 6:18 AM
Tod, the fact that you admitted that you own a cell phone reduces your hillbilly status quite a bit.

The fact that you destroy them periodically does redeem yourself, somewhat, not completely mind you.

To completely redeem himself with the destruction of cell phones, firearms would be needed ;) :D :D

Personally, I hate the stinking things, but I need to have one for business..... :mad:

Bill Lewis
03-08-2006, 7:21 AM
To completely redeem himself with the destruction of cell phones, firearms would be needed ;) :D :D
You got it!!!

Personally, I hate the stinking things, but I need to have one for business..... :mad:What's that?, firearms or cell phones?

Actually I know which one it's not, and a pretty good idea why.

tod evans
03-08-2006, 7:26 AM
business is the only reason for the darn thing! when i`m running equipment i feel the phone rather than hear it, that`s why i carry it in my hip pocket, if it`s in my shirt i may not know it`s vibrating.. tod

03-08-2006, 7:56 AM
business is the only reason for the darn thing! when i`m running equipment i feel the phone rather than hear it, that`s why i carry it in my hip pocket, if it`s in my shirt i may not know it`s vibrating.. tod
(Oh man, sorry in advance, but when you hang one out there like this, well I'm going to take a whack at it....)

Tod, so your butt is more "Sensitive" than your....ah......well, let's just say that where "most" shirt pockets are, well on a cold day............. think of the fairer sex.......... headlights............ :eek::D

Really.....?

Cheers!

tod evans
03-08-2006, 8:15 AM
(Oh man, sorry in advance, but when you hang one out there like this, well I'm going to take a whack at it....)

Tod, so your butt is more "Sensitive" than your....ah......well, let's just say that where "most" shirt pockets are, well on a cold day............. think of the fairer sex.......... headlights............ :eek::D

Really.....?

Cheers!

stu, there ain`t much on this ol` boy that`s sensitive anymore especially my feelings:) tod

03-08-2006, 8:32 AM
:D:D:D:D

I keep my cell in my breast pocket, I can feel it when it goes off, while riding my scooter on deliveries in Tokyo traffic.

I just wanted to give you another location to carry you cell, as I too went through a lot of phones when I had it on my hip.

Cheers!

Bill Lewis
03-08-2006, 9:11 AM
there ain`t much on this ol` boy that`s sensitive anymore especially my feelings:) todWell apparently there's ONE thing that's still sensitive...:p :p :p

03-08-2006, 9:35 AM
Well apparently there's ONE thing that's still sensitive...:p :p :p

Ya, his sense of humor!! (sensitive to a good joke/laugh that is!)

:D

Andy Hoyt
03-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Tod - Here's the best way to prevent "further" destruction of your cell phone.

Steve Ash
03-08-2006, 10:32 AM

How about both????

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/22-caliber-cell-phone-gun

John Miliunas
03-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Take it off your hip, put it on a string around your neck,....

:eek: Yikes! Kinda' brings a new meaning to the term, "Electronic Leash", don't it??? :D I think my wife has the right idea with hers: She keeps it "off" unless she needs to call out on it!!! :D :D :cool:

Doug Jones from Oregon
03-08-2006, 1:27 PM
Tod...don't know if they are still avail, but I've had the best luck with my current Motorola V60s. It is in a metal case that has taken all of the abuse that I've dished out (and that is a lot).

Doug

Eddie Watkins
03-08-2006, 4:17 PM
tod, the best cell phone is one that somebody else has:D . I have an LG flip phone model 1300? and it is not very good. LOML has the same phone and doesn't like it either. I'm with Cingular which is merging with AT&T and I am looking for better options as well. As far as carrying it, I use a case that attaches to my belt. I can usually feel the vibration.

Eddie