PDA

View Full Version : Pending Nova DVR purchase?

Hank Walczak
03-07-2006, 6:19 PM
Opinions? I Can get a Nova DVR about 5 or so years old. It's the one with the external/separate motor and controller assembly. Has 1 bed extension and a couple of small extras. A homemade wood stand w/200# of sand comes with it too. The price is just under $1k. Should I be excited, REAL excited or pass on it? Not sure where the market price is for one of those... Thanks for any input.

Hank

Dick Parr
03-07-2006, 6:55 PM
Hank you might want to contact Tim Geist who is the Teknatool Rep. in the US. I didn't pay much more then that for a 3 month old rebuilt DVR last year. As far as owning a DVR I love mine.

Give Tim a call and find out what his rebuilds are going for first before you pull the plug on this one. If you want his email address just PM me and I will send it to you.;)

John Timberlake
03-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Are you sure it is a DVR? I thought the extermal motor was the old style - either AC or DC motor. The bed extension would be really useful if you want to do spindles like table legs.

Hank Walczak
03-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Dick - Thanks again.... more in a PM. I did get to talk with Tim. Got some valuable info about lathes and exactly what I'm looking at. This Nova is a Woodcraft modified unit that has a Lesson motor and controller that give it an early "DVR" equivalent operation. It's not a true DVR, I know. I sort of "used" the term to describe a variable speed, DC powered, w/reverse in this case. It still has the pullies & belt (Nova 3000). The sale price in this case is pretty good. Tim does have some (3) of the new type units available with a free Nova chuck thrown into the deal. The price is pretty attractive too. If you're interested in one of them, give him a call. Guess I'm officially excited now and looking forward to Saturday when I'll take it home. It even comes with its own 200#s of sand too!!

Paul Douglass
03-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Congrats. Pleas be sure and post some pictures when you get it home and set up.

John Miliunas
03-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Hank, a pre-congrats on the "new" Nova! I'm glad to hear you are getting a sturdy base and extra weight for it, as well! That will help a LOT!!!:) I've turned on the exact type lathe you're getting and, it's pretty darn sweet, IMHO! :D As it happens, we still have one of those in our Woodcraft shop today and it's still used for each and every turning class. I think you'll enjoy it! :) :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2006, 1:13 PM
Congrats on the new lathe Hank. Enjoy.