PDA

View Full Version : Does this count as a gloat?

Michael Disorbo
03-07-2006, 4:38 PM
Not sure if this counts as a gloat, but it made me feel pretty good. Visited my friend who has his own mill. Eneded up coming home with 1500 brd ft of cherry. 100 br ft of curly maple, 200 brd feet of hard maple, 100 brd ft of red elm, 300 brd ft of grey elm. Got it all for $131. Now I just got to make room for it!!

Saw a robin today as well, spring is here!!!

Michael

Michael Ballent
03-07-2006, 5:10 PM
Hmmmm, let me see.... it smells like a gloat, it looks like a gloat, by golly, I think that would be a gloat. :D :eek:

Congrats... $131 for all that wood (I'm shaking my head) say it isn't so... I will trade you some tumbleweeds hehehehe :p

(Beginning to think that I need to move to snow country.... nah)

Not sure if this counts as a gloat, but it made me feel pretty good. Visited my friend who has his own mill. Eneded up coming home with 1500 brd ft of cherry. 100 br ft of curly maple, 200 brd feet of hard maple, 100 brd ft of red elm, 300 brd ft of grey elm. Got it all for $131. Now I just got to make room for it!!

Michael

Mike Cutler
03-07-2006, 5:36 PM
Nope. No way. No Pic, No gloat.;) Nice haul, just a little green with envy.:D Sounds like a perfectly legitimate gloat to me.

David Duke
03-07-2006, 5:38 PM
;) No pictures = NO GLOAT;) ;) :D

Bart Leetch
03-07-2006, 5:57 PM

Michael

Did you use a gun and a mask?:eek: :D I'd say it was a gloat but there is no picture.:eek: :D

Andy Hoyt
03-07-2006, 5:58 PM
Send that stuff up here, I'll take a pic, and then return the camera to you.

Frank Pellow
03-07-2006, 6:00 PM

Michael
If you had some pictures, it would be a GREAT GLOAT> But, since I see no pictures, it is not a gloat.

Michael Disorbo
03-07-2006, 6:09 PM
No pictures, but I will send some of the things I make with it. I have it in my old greenhouse and trust me with everything that is in there, it would be hard to get a picture. I have an bit of an edge. We have a few log brokers in town. My friend has a reputation for sawing some really nice lumber. After it is all cut up, lumber buyers go through and take the best. I get whats left over and only pay for the sawing. These guys will not buy a 12 foot board if it has one knot in it. You should see some of this cherry. Some of the boards are only 6 feet long, but I handled a few today that had to be over 18" in width.

So it all may not be top knotch perfect lumber but hey for the price, I can even heat my shop rather cheap :D

OK, no gloat :mad:

Michael

Vaughn McMillan
03-07-2006, 6:25 PM
I noticed you don't have an avatar, but I did a little research and found a picture of you, Michael:

It's a good thing you live on the other side of the country...I'd otherwise be tempted to find your greenhouse and do a little theiving myself. :)

Most excellent haul indeed. Ya done better than good.

- Vaughn

Jason Morgan
03-07-2006, 7:42 PM
WOW, sure would like to hit a score like that up here in Rochester! Does your friend have any more he would like to get rid of :D

Steve Clardy
03-07-2006, 8:03 PM
Super score!!

William Bachtel
03-07-2006, 8:59 PM
Sounds to good to be true, are you trolling? No one gives wood away like that, just what did you have to do to get it. If you are on the up and up, then it is a gloat.

Rob Blaustein
03-07-2006, 9:05 PM
Seems like around $10,000 worth of wood; awesome score. But I gotta ask--where did the $131 come from? Not $130, but 131.

Michael Disorbo
03-07-2006, 10:26 PM
The $131 was the cost per board ft to saw. Actually, he made his money already on the lumber, I am just paying a bit for what was not sold to the big buyers. I usually get all my lumber this way, sometimes I buy the logs if I can get them cheap enough. If he did not sell the leftovers, they would just get in his way. He cuts a lot of hemlock, many folks around here build barns and other buildings with that lumber. I mean alot. This winter, he cut over 80,000 br ft for one person. Another favorite is white oak for hay wagons and lofts. One guy brought him hickory to saw for roofing boards. My friend who owns the mill is 80 this year. He can put most men to shame when working. Sadly, his time is drawing near and I am afraid that my big scores will be over soon. I just can't see him doing this when he is 90!

I guess if I wanted the money, I could resell a lot of this lumber, but it is worth more to me to use. If stored properly it will last my lifetime and then some. My father-in-law who grew up in a saw mill (his father's) still has a lot of chesnut which his father cut and it has been kept inside for close to a 75 years. It is still very nice lumber.

One thing nice about this area, you can drive most any back road and find a mill. Cherry, oak, black walnut, ash, white pine and hickory are very abundant. Most of the hardwoods run about a $1 a br ft at most mills while white pine and hemlock can go as low as 30 cents a ft.

I guess we are lucky!!

Jim Becker
03-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Gloat? Naa...pure gluttony!! Nice haul. And all that for a little over $130? Sheesh!

Ron Blaise
03-08-2006, 6:41 AM
:mad: I hate you! ;) Man what a haul!

John Miliunas
03-08-2006, 9:51 AM
Gloat??? Naw...But I'll be looking for your picture on the Post Office bulletin board!!! :eek: That's not even fair! Most of the sawyers around here wouldn't even fire up their machine for less than a c-note!!! :rolleyes: Enjoy! I only wish I lived a whole lot closer to you! :D :cool:

Keel McDonald
03-08-2006, 9:55 AM
Did you put the decimal in the wrong place, or forget a zero or two? Sure would be nice to see some pics. Nice job!

Julio Navarro
03-08-2006, 10:25 AM
I can smell that wood form here, pure heaven, ...nice haul and great gloat but pics would help.

Julio Navarro
03-08-2006, 10:26 AM
I cant wait till I have my first gloat. My wife always rolls her eyes when I try to gloat over my silly stuff. But now that I have found this forum I will relish my first gloat.

Mack Cameron
03-08-2006, 11:46 AM

Michael

:) I take it, that's the gloat!

lou sansone
03-08-2006, 2:25 PM
best wishes with that haul... Just to make sure that you really did bring home ~ 2000 bd feet ( something like 10,000 lbs of green lumber )... did you really get 1500 bd feet of cherry ? I am suprised that your friend can make money sawing @ 6 cents per bd foot, but maybe he is real quick

lou

Michael Disorbo
03-08-2006, 2:38 PM
His going rate for sawing lumber is 12-15 cents a brd ft. That is what he would charge the average person. Do you think he is going to charge his friend that:eek: Heck, you can go there when he has it and buy already sawn cherry for a buck a foot. It only take a few minutes to cut 4/4 12" x 20' board. Thats 20 brd ft. At 15 cents a foot that 3 bucks in a few minutes. Let's say a cut takes 5 minutes, which once he is set up I doubt it takes that long to make a cut. Thats 12 cuts and hour at 3 bucks a cut, thats 36 bucks an hour if my math is right. Now thats just 4/4 12" boards. If he was doing 8/4 24" x 20' boards wow is he making some money now. I have some white pine that I had him saw and some of the boards were 28" wide. How much money do you think you should be paying someone to saw lumber?

Bob Swenson
03-08-2006, 2:45 PM
MICHAEL --- I Just Googled Olean NY (Google Earth), I found Mickey's Choice Cigarette Discount, Auntie Anne's Pretzels, lots of Gin Mills, but but no give away lumber mills. Michael is that you standing in the parking lot selling that wooden tennis racket ? You know the one near the courts on Front street near Mickey's. Just tell us how to get there, 80 west, 219 north-- we could make it before the next tree falls. :rolleyes:

Pete Harbin
03-08-2006, 3:08 PM
Nice score Michael! That is quite a haul!

Pete

Jerry Olexa
03-08-2006, 5:24 PM
Thats robbery. Did u wear a mask?? Great haul but pics would be better