PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor finishing question

Tom Sweeney
08-05-2003, 8:23 PM
I have the opportunity to get two Church pews given to me. They are my MIL's. They are pretty cool - one of them is huge. I'm not sure but I think they are Oak. My BIL has put them outside for some reason. They don't really want the pews so I can get them if I want them. These were supposedly taken out of a very old Quaker meeting house in Philadelphia & I think it would be cool to keep them. My big problem is I have no where inside to store them.

I was thinking I could coat them with spar varnish or some other alternative & put them outside on my back (not covered) porch. Would this prevent them from getting ruined or would it still be a problem.

As an alternative- does anyone know if something like this is worth any $$ if we have to sell them. I'd hate having them get ruined so if the varnish isn't a good idea I'll probably try to sell them.

Any ideas?

Jim Becker
08-05-2003, 8:37 PM
Chances are they are red oak which is not a good outdoor wood. (White oak is). Water will undoubtedly collect on the seats, too. Spar varnish and the like will help a little, but it requires constant renewal. UV radiation will also degrade the pews relatively quickly, even if your finish protects against it. You may be better off selling them (or donating them) as they will be preserved better that way. For example, an organization I helped found a few years ago has some pews that were donated and they filled a great need for seating during religious services, etc.

BTW, what are the sizes, particularly the smaller one? :D