PDA

View Full Version : New-to-me Lathe - Thanks, Dennis! :)

T.J. Mahaffey
03-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Well, after lucking into Dennis P.'s ad last week, I have a new lathe. I trucked up to Dennis' place on Friday night.

I wasn't going to upgrade to a "real" lathe for another several months yet, but when I saw Dennis' ad here at SMC, my clicking finger started to itch. I know a great deal with I see it. It doesn't hurt that I already have a heck'ova Jet lineup in my little shop already. :)

Here's my 'old' one. (I've passed it on to another budding woodworker friend of mine who has already put it into service.) It ain't pretty, but it works! (Paid $37 at a local auction)

http://workshop.tjmahaffey.com/workshop/img/tmp/found_lathe.jpg

And here's the new one, in its new home. I'll be making some changes to the shelving and wall behind it before things really settle in.

http://workshop.tjmahaffey.com/workshop/img/tmp/new_lathe.jpg

Thanks again to Dennis Peacock for making me such great deal on this one. I can't wait to fire 'er up!

Dennis Peacock
03-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Congrats TJ!!!!!!! You'll get good service from that baby. She was good to me. I just needed something bigger to do what I've been wanting to do. Enjoy buddy!!!!!!

Jim Hager
03-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Looks like she's right at home there. Happy turning TJ. I'll be down in Hot Springs some this summer and I want to see some projects when I get there.

I listed several things on the classified ad board this morning, you might find something there, but maybe nothing you need.

Bob Noles
03-07-2006, 2:47 PM
TJ

Awesome lathe and an awesome deal from what I have followed. You are going to enjoy the upgreade greatly.

Let's see some pictures of your work when you get it spinning.

Mike Cutler
03-07-2006, 5:39 PM
Nice gloat all around. Congrat's TJ. Now go have some fun.

T.J. Mahaffey
03-07-2006, 9:23 PM
Looks like she's right at home there. Happy turning TJ. I'll be down in Hot Springs some this summer and I want to see some projects when I get there.

I listed several things on the classified ad board this morning, you might find something there, but maybe nothing you need.

Hi, Jim. :)
You bet. I'd be glad to give you the nickel tour!

Corey Hallagan
03-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Excellent! Nice lathe and congrats!

corey

Brad Kimbrell
03-07-2006, 11:39 PM
:cool: Nice upgrade, TJ!

I've got the little mini-Jet for pens and such and an old Atlas 618 metal lathe (tiny) to play with.

My bigger lathe is a 25 year old craftsman bolted onto a board. Not really useful in it's current state.

If that bright-white color clashes with your new shelves, I'll come down there and haul it off for ya! I'm from Shreveport originally and Dad's 1950 model Chevy would probably make a nice hauler for that Jet!

Happy turning...:cool: