PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat-unconfirmed

Tom Conger
03-07-2006, 11:15 AM
One of the things I was hoping to avoid was sharpening because it is such a fine art and I am not a terribly fine art type of guy.

So I broke down and bought a Delta GR450 ($149) variable speed grinder and the basic Wolverine gouge and skew sharpening set ($80).

Took about 20 minutes to set up the offset jig to mount the grinder and Wolverine to. Adjusted the Wolverine for my gouge, fired it up, and 15 seconds later I had a perfect razor edge. Awesome.

I had some warble initally in one of the grinder stones, but tightening it seemed to do the trick.

After some further research, I see that I overpaid a bit for the grinder, but I got it locally, so I am okay with it.

All in all, very happy with my purchase.

(pics to follow for confirmation.)

John Miliunas
03-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Well then, let me be the first to give you an unconfirmed "congrats" on your purchases! :D It sure is a lot more fun turning with sharp tools, ain't it? :D :cool:

Bob Noles
03-07-2006, 1:33 PM
Tom,

Congrats and I hope you get those pictures posted before King Thong shows up :p

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2006, 4:23 PM
Congrats Tom. Jig makes a heck of a difference.

Ernie Nyvall
03-07-2006, 4:34 PM
Congrats Tom... so when can we expect some turning pics... hmmm?:D

Ernie

Tom Conger
03-07-2006, 5:13 PM
The only thing I have actually turned have been pens. Tons and tons of pens. Everytime I make one, it seems to disapear...very strange phenonemon.... Some actaully make it out the door though as sales which supports this expensive habit....

John Hart
03-07-2006, 6:43 PM
I just gotta do that sharpening jig thing. Sheesh! Some of the stuff I put off....:confused:

Congratulations Tom.....uh....sorta. Where's that thong guy?:D

Corey Hallagan
03-07-2006, 8:06 PM
Congrats on the new grinder and the wolverine!

Corey

Gilbert Vega
03-07-2006, 8:32 PM
I have the same exact grinder and Oneway jig and I am sure you will be totally happy with it.