PDA

View Full Version : Garage Heating or small shop questions?

Josh Goldsmith
03-07-2006, 11:14 AM
So what do you all use for heat in the garage or small shop? I was debating on what route i should go. I was hoping to find something that is cost effective since im broke. Thanks

Larry Fox
03-07-2006, 11:26 AM
I use a little kerosene heater. I live outside Philly and we get some reasonably cold days. Brings my two-car-garage shop to a temp where I can comfortably wotk in a T-shirt in about 1.5 hours. Burns all day on about a gallon of fuel and emits no noticible fumes. Obviously you have the "open flame" issue to contend with but other than that I am very happy with it. I think I gave ~$100 for it two or three years ago.

Joe Chritz
03-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Josh, I'm from Michigan so if I was in your area I would need a heater about three times a year. :p

I am a big fan of the hanging garage heaters sold by Modine or several other clones. Search for Modine Hot Dawg and you should find several. Prices are all over the scale on the same unit.

You probably need a lot less heat and something along the line of a small propane heater would be more than enough. However, the added convienance of no floor space used and thermostat control make the garage heaters pretty nice.

Joe

Dave Richards
03-07-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm not trying to be a smart alec but have you considered a pair of woolen socks, a warm hat and some long johns? Maybe some of those fingerless gloves, too.

I've got a Hot Dawg in my garage shop which is also insulated. It works fine. I keep it turned down to about 40° to keep stuff from freezing when I'm not out there and turn it up a little bit before I go out.

I don't know but I'd guess it would be overkill for you.

It looks like your average January temperature is 52° with the average low being 42.3°. Is there anything you can do to improve solar heating? How's the insulation in your shop?

Looking at the data I see your average high temp throughout the year is 65° with the hottest average temp at 69.8° in October. Since you don't need an air conditioner and little in the way of heat, your heating cost won't be very high. You live in a good place for a guy who is broke. :)

Ben Roman
03-07-2006, 12:02 PM
I bought a Dayton L5600 Heavy Duty Portable Electric Garage Heater on Ebay for 160.00 It works off 220 and heats up a 3 car Garage in about 30 minutes. Works fine for me.

Barry O'Mahony
03-07-2006, 12:15 PM
I'd stay away from "small propance heaters". They dump water vapor into the air (not good for tools) and carbon monoxide (not good for you).

If it was me and I lived where you do, I'd just put on a sweatshirt. ;)

Northern has these on sale, which should provide you plenty of heat:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=595&R=595

Ed Frie
03-07-2006, 12:18 PM
I heat a two car garage with a "torpedo-shaped" kerosene heater (50,000BTUs) it does a nice job for my workshop

Dave Richards
03-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Hey Dr. Frie. Do you ever worry about CO?

Ed Frie
03-07-2006, 2:52 PM
Dave,

First off, thanks for using a title in your post, but that is too much formality for me. Ed is what I respond to best. At least here. The institution that I work for often makes an argument that, for identification purposes, in front of patients it may be helpful to use titles, but this is way different.

Anyway...
I don't worry about CO in my shop. It has a full double garage door that is always shut in the winter, but it isn't very airtight. I know the symptoms to watch for and haven't had any yet. I should maybe get a tester.:confused:

jerry cousins
03-07-2006, 3:02 PM
after many years with a kerosene torpedo heater and then a propane space heater i installed a reznor ceiling heater - propane. reznors are very similar to the modine's. it has proven great - easy installation - uses outside air - very low profile - hanging from the ceiling in the corner. no more moisture and rusty tool problems. but must say that it is not cheap - i am in the far north part of ca - where there really is winter and am heating the equivalent of a 3 car+ space - costing about $80-$100/month.

here's a url - http://www.djsonline.com/reznor_UDAP_Unit_Heaters.htm
no affiliation except i have one

jerry

lou sansone
03-07-2006, 4:10 PM
regular 85000 btu forced hot air furnace by kerr

lou

Hunter Wallace
03-07-2006, 6:30 PM
I would recommend calling around to furnace installers in
your vacinity and see if you can't get a used mobile home
furnace. I called a guy right here in town and he set me up
with a used Miller mobile home furnace and an oil tank for $300.
To purchase and hook up the vent stack, oil line and thermostat
cost me another $175. It's super reliable, on demand heat for
what I would consider little money.

Ken Garlock
03-07-2006, 8:04 PM
I have a Trane 2 ton heat pump to heat and cool my 25X25 shop. It does a wonderful job.:)

You might consider a through the wall heat pump and get both winter and summer covered.

RichMagnone
03-07-2006, 8:37 PM
I just purchased a Dimplex heater. It really has changed my whole way of working in the shop. I am out there constantly now and it has been cold here in Chicago for the past few weeks. Supposedly it will be 60 this weekend, so maybe the heater will get a rest. The garage has been quite comfy even on the #2 setting (it goes to 6 or 7... I wish it went to 11)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32216&highlight=dimplex

Earl Reid
03-07-2006, 9:38 PM
Hi, Josh
I've had a ventless 18,000 btu Nat gas heater in my 24 X14 shop for 14 years. I have a CO meter also and have never had a reading on it. I test it with a bag of exaust from my car each yr. I have seen a couple of old saws, that haven't been used in many yrs, with a little rust. I keep the temp at 60 dgs and I have a small vent by the door. Works for me.

Earl :)

Gary Jacuk
03-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Josh,

"Coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco" Mark Twain,or so they say. I'm in California in the foothills and have had about 15" of snow in the last two weeks. So there you northerners!!!!!

I have a hot dawg heater in my shop and it works great at keeping things very comfortable. My only regret is that has an open flame. If I were to do it over, I'd look for a used forced air unit and put it outside blowing into the shop. Eliminates any worries about spraying flamable finishing material.

Gary