PDA

View Full Version : Drawer Locks?

Keel McDonald
03-07-2006, 10:21 AM
I recently built a desk and the lady who uses it asked if I could put some drawer locks on it. There are 3 drawers on each side. My question is this. Does anyone know of a lock you can attach to a drawer with fronts attached to the drawer box? The faces overlap the face frame. In other words, the thickness of the face is 1 1/2 inches. Everything I've been able to find are made for single thickness fronts.

Mark Rios
03-07-2006, 10:36 AM
I was recently looking for a lock for a special application and, of course, the BORG's didn't have anything even close so I went to a good locksmith shop. They have catalogs of different kinds and configurations of locks. Kind of neat to peruse. HTH.

John D Watson
03-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Hey Keel, Is thttp://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=40637&cat=3,43631,43634his what your lookin for?

Keel McDonald
03-07-2006, 1:52 PM
Hey Keel, Is thttp://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=40637&cat=3,43631,43634his what your lookin for?

John

Thanks, but that's a bit more of a lock than I envisioned. I guess I'd like to use this type of lock, or similar. http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?DeptID=2222&FamilyID=1062

Jim Callaghan
03-08-2006, 11:05 PM
I ran a locksmith business for 15 years, Call a local locksmith and have them check their catalogs, Its been 12 years, but they used to sell them with extended cylinders up to about 2 inches, and they were only slightly more expensive than the normal 3/4 in. versions.
Jim callaghan
Wisconsin

Jamie Buxton
03-08-2006, 11:58 PM
www.wwhardware.com has locks like that woodcraft one, but with a cylinder which is 1 3/4" long.

Keel McDonald
03-13-2006, 2:08 PM
Thanks Jamie, I'll check out that website. Never been there before.

Jim Becker
03-13-2006, 2:32 PM
Keel, I bought a lock from Rockler similar to the Woodcraft picture you linked to for our knife drawer in the kitchen island...I just made sure it was deep enough to clear both the front and face frame so that it would engage the back of the face frame when locked. Bottom line...there are different cylinder lengths available!

Anthony Anderson
03-13-2006, 2:35 PM
Make a template that will allow/permit the swing of the lock arm, of the lock pictured in your link. Attach the template, with carpet tape, to the inside of the drawer front (not the false front, but the box front) and using a top bearing pilot bit, rout out the relief in the box front. Attach to next drawer and repeat, and so on. If it is not too much trouble, remove the false front and trim the waste with a coping saw first, then rout. I am assuming that you have a face frame or drawer dividers. HTH, Bill

Keel McDonald
03-13-2006, 3:22 PM
Keel, I bought a lock from Rockler similar to the Woodcraft picture you linked to for our knife drawer in the kitchen island...I just made sure it was deep enough to clear both the front and face frame so that it would engage the back of the face frame when locked. Bottom line...there are different cylinder lengths available!

That's exactly what I had in mind...I think. The cam just pins the drawer shut, it doesn't actually fit in a recessed area, right?