PDA

View Full Version : Help with building a Flag Box

Douglas Robinson
03-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Everyone:

I know this has been discussed before, but I would appreciate a little guidance.

A little background. Don Banner was a former Commissioner of Patents. I worked in the same flaw firm as him (and three of his children) up until a few months ago. He died in February at age 81. He was a legend in the field of Intellectual Property (Patents), but that doesn't even come close to describing the man. As a 20 year old pilot in the Army Air Corp. he was shot down over Germany in WWII. He was subsequently captured by the Germany Army and was a POW. He was liberated April 29, 1945 by Patton's Army. He celebrated that day every year for 61 years. He considered every day after his liberation as a gift. He was a wonderful person and will be sincerely missed.

He will be buried on April 19, 2006 in Arlington NAtional Cemetary. One of his son's has accepted my offer to build the family a flag case for the flag they shroud his casket in during the ceremony. I have never built one. Don never kept any medals so it will be a basic flag box.

Over the years I have accummulated some awesome figured maple. I didn't have a project in mind for the wood but (you know how it is) I could not pass it up when I saw it. I remember find one board at a HD by random luck and walking through the store to get what I came for, and guys kept coming up to me asking where I found it. It seemd fitting that I used this would for this project. I think I should have enough.

So does anyone have any plans and/or advice? Can I start the project before the funeral? Should I wait until the family lends me the flag? Are there tricks to folding the flag to display it properly (configuration of stars)?

Thanks for your help.

Doug

Lee Schierer
03-07-2006, 10:29 AM
I've built several flag display cases for funeral flags. You can see them at my web site. http://home.earthlink.net/~us71na/flagcase.html I like to support the side of the flag that will face the galss with foam core board. I cut a triangle the size I need and secure the flag to it along the edges with straight pins stuck into the edge of the foam board. This allows you to arrange the stars so they are exactly even and straight when you put the flag in the case. The rest of the flag is folded into a triangle behind this panel.

I use single strength glass for the viewing area because it sits nicely in a single width saw kerf. I've built cases with single sided and double side viewing. The preference I have is to make them single sided so the owner gets the correct side toward the room for viewing.

It is also nice to leave space along the front bottom for an engraved plate so you know whose flag it was and the dates of service and life.

Douglas Robinson
03-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Lee:

Thanks for the guidance. Do you use any particular thickness foam core?

Doug

Bob Nazro
03-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Here is a link to a website that has plans for the flag boxes and spline jigs.
http://www.woodworkersunitedforamerica.org/projects.htm

They have several plans and the basic setup of the spline jig is great and something I have used for several years.

Lee Schierer
03-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Lee:

Thanks for the guidance. Do you use any particular thickness foam core?

Doug

I use 1/4 inch.